Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:14 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times

Advertisements

The California plan has five proposed states. New York should be divided, because NYC is so different from upstate. NC should be divided, because the Triangle is more liberal than the rest of the state. Wyoming should be divided, because part is beautiful and part is ugly. Texas is just too big. It's ridiculous for Idaho to have that spike. West Virginia is not homogenous enough.

The U.S. flag would need about 150 stars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 09:17 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Better yet could various states secede from the union? DC sucks.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:15 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
None of the seccesions will ever happen due to the governments thirst for revenue. EDIT: Atleast not in the next 25 years.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:17 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest338 View Post
I don't like the idea of a state split. The eastern half has enough clout to overall keep the state from getting to out-there California style. It isn't as simple as moving to another area, when it is the geography that is the draw to the area you're in and want to be in. I tend to like the E WA culture/society more, but I don't care for the landscape. Give me the RAIN, COLD, FOG, COAST, BIG TREES!!!
I agree with this. The east provides somewhat of rightward influence to keep The People's Republic of Seattle from pulling the state too far left. It's already liberal enough. It would be much worse without eastern Washington.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:05 AM

570 posts, read 1,729,335 times
without the rich area(like King, Snohomish, San Juan county ) to generate revenue., the rest of the state will be so poor.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:49 PM

148 posts, read 224,001 times
Splitting the state (any state) along ideological lines is a shallow and superficial gesture. Way too self-serving on all sides. With that said, there are deeper, philosphical reasons why many of the large western states could benefit from a geographical re-working. Remember, we are a republic. The eastern states are 2 centuries old. And while the House of Representatives is population based, the senate is state based, with over a dozen northeastern states wielding enormous control. Almost a third of the senate, leaving western states with little influence. And I can assure you, the senators from these NE states have absolutely no respect for you. I have seen it.

BTW, as part of Texas's entry into the union, it can divide into as many as 5 states. Not sure if other states have similar wording in their statehood documents. Maybe Washington should try to get something in place. Another century, and the larger, western states will probably have to split for practical reasons anyway.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
It would make far more sense for people from Eastern WA to move west and helping promote their views and candidates. Probably won't happen but even that is more likely than the state splitting in two. The eastern WA agricultural economy just doesn't have the tax base to operate as a state, costs would far exceed revenues. Being mostly conservative, they would also be opposed to new/increased taxes. Eastern WA has twice the land but only 1/3 the population so they cannot overpower the liberal urban areas of the west in elections. I suppose they could try to encourage more like-minded people to move there from other states.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:30 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It would make far more sense for people from Eastern WA to move west and helping promote their views and candidates. Probably won't happen but even that is more likely than the state splitting in two. The eastern WA agricultural economy just doesn't have the tax base to operate as a state, costs would far exceed revenues. Being mostly conservative, they would also be opposed to new/increased taxes. Eastern WA has twice the land but only 1/3 the population so they cannot overpower the liberal urban areas of the west in elections. I suppose they could try to encourage more like-minded people to move there from other states.
Ummm, no offense, but this entire statement makes no sense. By this logic, Wyoming would never have been a state in the first place. And by the way, Eastern WA generates plenty of revenue, not the least of which is the cheap electricity that Western WA gobbles up.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:26 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,137 times
Quote:
Does Eastern and Western Washington need to split into two states
No, the republicans need to move to Idaho and see how much it sucks to live in a cheap red state. They're so geographically similar they would barely notice the move.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:08 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downnice View Post
I am Super Liberal and understand this side of the state makes the laws. I really feel Eastern Washington is not fair because we all know there conservative. Also unlike Eastern Oregon where it is useless land Eastern has nice cities in Spokane, Ellensburg and Tri Cities

What do you think should the state spilt in two
Okay, split it in two. Then what? Then you'll have a smaller liberal state that will still have pockets of conservatism. You'll also have a conservative state that will have pockets of liberalism. So the 'problem' won't be solved.

Other than that, political demographics change. Blue states turn red, red states turn blue. So state borders then constantly be changed to accomodate constantly changing political demographics?

The answer to that, and to your question, is: of course not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington