Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:52 AM

256 posts, read 541,137 times

Advertisements

I am Super Liberal and understand this side of the state makes the laws. I really feel Eastern Washington is not fair because we all know there conservative. Also unlike Eastern Oregon where it is useless land Eastern has nice cities in Spokane, Ellensburg and Tri Cities

What do you think should the state spilt in two
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 11:04 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
If they wanted to I wouldn't complain. I remember many years ago when Newcastle broke off from Bellevue to become its own city. They wanted to so - fine. If Eastern Washington wants to be their own state or join Idaho, that's fine too.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
If they wanted to I wouldn't complain. I remember many years ago when Newcastle broke off from Bellevue to become its own city. They wanted to so - fine. If Eastern Washington wants to be their own state or join Idaho, that's fine too.
Thanks

Old 10-25-2012, 11:11 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,487 times
I absolutely LOVE this state and all that it has to offer. I feel that some part of me would feel empty if we lost the eastern half of it to its own entity (I would actually LOVE to move to that side someday).

That being said, I also do understand that most Eastern Washingtonians would like to have their voices heard more than they currently are, and separation between the two at the Cascade Crest would certainly allow them that.

However, then to what do the residents off the I-5 corridor between Olympia and Seattle get? They too have issues with their voice being heard, with the majority of decisions being made in said area. Perhaps a three way split of the state would help to benefit the most people possible in that regard. Eastern Washington, Western Washington, and Greater-Seattle to Olympia Puget Sound Interior Washington. Things are just getting messy now!

However we all know this is never going to happen. If this were possible then states would be either splitting or merging all the time.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
I absolutely LOVE this state and all that it has to offer. I feel that some part of me would feel empty if we lost the eastern half of it to its own entity (I would actually LOVE to move to that side someday).

That being said, I also do understand that most Eastern Washingtonians would like to have their voices heard more than they currently are, and separation between the two at the Cascade Crest would certainly allow them that.

However, then to what do the residents off the I-5 corridor between Olympia and Seattle get? They too have issues with their voice being heard, with the majority of decisions being made in said area. Perhaps a three way split of the state would help to benefit the most people possible. Eastern Washington, Western Washington, and Greater-Seattle to Olympia Puget Sound Interior Washington. Things are just getting messy now!

However we all know this is never going to happen. If this were possible then states would be either splitting or merging all the time.
I disagree a little. King, Pierce, Vancouver and Thurston all vote democrat (The coast leans conservative i guess) but I do not think it would be messy like that

Old 10-25-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post

However, then to what do the residents off the I-5 corridor between Olympia and Seattle get? They too have issues with their voice being heard, with the majority of decisions being made in said area. Perhaps a three way split of the state would help to benefit the most people possible in that regard. Eastern Washington, Western Washington, and Greater-Seattle to Olympia Puget Sound Interior Washington. Things are just getting messy now!

Oddly many in Eastern Washington would find Idaho more agreeable and live minutes from the border. I always wonder why they don't just make the move since it's so close to them.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Oddly many in Eastern Washington would find Idaho more agreeable and live minutes from the border. I always wonder why they don't just make the move since it's so close to them.
Joining Idaho is not realistic I mean What happens to Eastern and Central Washington? Eastern and Central Idaho?

Old 10-25-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downnice View Post
Joining Idaho is not realistic I mean What happens to Eastern and Central Washington? Eastern and Central Idaho?
I'm just saying since many live on the Washington/Idaho border, they might be happier if they moved to the Idaho side rather than redrawing state lines. But if they wanted to split, that's fine too.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:31 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downnice View Post
I disagree a little. King, Pierce, Vancouver and Thurston all vote democrat (The coast leans conservative i guess) but I do not think it would be messy like that
No, s/he's talking about people out of that corridor... like Clark County (Vancouver). Even in Clark County, you will see signs saying: "Don't let Seattle steal this election!"

In the 90s, you had the Eastside trying to break off from Seattle and forming the Cascade County... didn't happen as it was ruled unconstitutional and the movement lost steam.

If it does ever happen, it'd probably inspire Eastern Oregon... maybe the two can band together and become one.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
No, s/he's talking about people out of that corridor... like Clark County (Vancouver). Even in Clark County, you will see signs saying: "Don't let Seattle steal this election!"

In the 90s, you had the Eastside trying to break off from Seattle and forming the Cascade County... didn't happen as it was ruled unconstitutional and the movement lost steam.

If it does ever happen, it'd probably inspire Eastern Oregon... maybe the two can band together and become one.
From a purely political perspective, it would probably be more logical to have an Eastern Washington/Eastern Oregon and Western Washington/Western Oregon. I think historically wasn't there a "Cascadia" that included parts of Northern California too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington