Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:46 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
When state and federal law (or interests) conflict, federal law will always take priority, and the federal government will, as it has many times in the past, use military force against U.S. citizens.
LOL no way. No way is the commander in chief sending in tanks to keep people from smoking a doobie in the privacy of their own homes, as state law has permitted them to do. Not in 2012. Get real, man.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:04 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
...No way is the commander in chief sending in tanks to keep people from smoking a doobie in the privacy of their own homes...
That's not why the tanks would be sent.

They would be sent to suppress the demonstrations against federal attempts to overturn state law.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:08 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Given this, it would behoove the fed to not obstruct its cultivation or distrubtion ... unless, of course, they want to see money continually poured into the coffers of criminals, tax free.

I am continually impressed by the WA law, and I'm certain it's going to be an agent of change throughout the U.S. ... well, maybe not the south.
But back in the real world, the state legislature passed a bill on medical marijuana last year giving the law some structure, being able to collect sales tax money from medical marijuana dispensaries and where they can be zoned. The Governor vetoed it, because it is against Federal law. So now: Drive down Rainier Avenue or Lake City Way or a number of other streets in Seattle, and look for storefronts with green crosses( the medical marijuana dispensary symbol). I'm just guessing here, but they may be as plentiful as espresso stands or teriyaki joints. On the local news last night, it was reported than just under 400,000 people in Washington have prescriptions for medical marijuana.

Last edited by Ira500; 11-09-2012 at 09:55 AM..

Old 11-09-2012, 09:19 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
But back in the real world, the state legislature passed a bill on medical marijuana last year giving the law some structure, being able to collect sales tax money from medical marijuana dispensaries and where they can be zoned. The Governor vetoed it, because it is against Federal law. So now: Drive down Rainier Avenue or Lake City Way or a number of other streets in Seattle, and look for storefronts with green crosses( the medical marijuana dispensary symbol). I'm just guessing here, but they may be as plentiful as espresso stands or teriyaki joints. On the local news last night, it was reporter than just under 400,000 people in Washington have prescriptions for medical marijuana.
I think I see what you mean. Hopefully Inslee will truly work for the "will of the people" on it.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:48 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
The main result I see is that taxpayers won't be paying room and board for people possessing small amounts of marijuana. Now if growing and selling remain crimes, that should actually BOOST the incentive for cartels to smuggle large amounts into the States. I think motorcycle gangs in Canada were using the illegal trade to fund their expenses. I'm totally for any change that relieves me of costs of incarceration of MJ smokers because there are no penalties for smoking tobacco. So far, tobacco is burdening the health system with massive costs compared to MJ. COPD, cardiac diseases. But halfway measures could end up hurting Canadians and Mexicans. What the country really needs is another prohibition cessation. Just as criminalizing booze ended up creating gang warfare in the country, criminalizing recreational drugs has led to 60,000 deaths and rising in Mexico. If the drugs kill the users, good riddance. Legal drugs kill users, too. Dead users generate no costs. I am incensed that innocent Mexicans are dying on the pretext of saving the lives of American drug users.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:17 PM

278 posts, read 636,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
That's not why the tanks would be sent.

They would be sent to suppress the demonstrations against federal attempts to overturn state law.
There is no way in hell that would happen over marijuana. The entire country would protest against the federal government and that suppression of demonstration would actually garner support for ending the fed prohibition movement.

You sound overly paranoid. Yeah, the fed sucks. Yeah, they shut down tons of medical marijuana dispensaries under Obama (more than Bush), but **** just got real. They're going to have to really think about whether they should spend the resources to fight this in Washington.

Again, in this economy, with this deficit, if the federal government spent money on suppressing this law, shame on them. Absolutely sickening.

Unfortunately ravenous DEA agents would spread propaganda and misinformation to their hearts content if it meant they get to go on their fun raids and arrest people.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:01 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Well, can I see a source?

That's the opposite of what I learned in the drug-refusal class I had to take as a mandatory part of the curriculum.

ANYWAY...

You have to remember that tobacco is illegal in public in Louisiana, so it could be skewed information. I've never heard anything else other than it being a carcinogen.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

A school building just caught fire, but its controlled, now...
Marijuana Does Not Raise Lung Cancer Risk | Fox News

Here's one of many: Bottom line, no pot smoker has ever been proven to get cancer from smoking pot alone... and now we have at least 40 years of research data. That class you took probably quotes alot of old adages about it, they don't bother keeping up with science.

It is counter-intuitive though, one of the many reasons marijuana is referred to as magical.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:13 PM

858 posts, read 1,501,322 times
Here ya go...

Moderate Marijuana Use Does Not Impair Lung Function, Study Finds

Moderate Marijuana Use Does Not Impair Lung Function, Study Finds - NYTimes.com

Old 11-09-2012, 09:54 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
One cigarette a day would be relatively safe. The people who suffer harm are using whatever it is to escape from their inability to cope with life. But the laws never do anything to address the underlying dysfunction. They are all inspired by Calvinist concepts that are the evil seed of American culture.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:32 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Pot is NOT a carcinogen, not even when smoked (surprisingly)
what an idiotic thing to say.....any type of smoke is a carcinogen whether it be from pot or your wife's cooking. DUH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington