Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 10:40 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Well, I am NOT a libertarian, but the 10th Amendment gives much authority to the states.

What the hell is the Federal Governments rationale on their jurisdiction?

When they went after Montana for no speed limit they threatened removal of highway funds. I always thought Reagan made a mistake on that one.

Nevada had no speed limit, gambling and whoring. The FEDS only cared about the speed limit.

Anyway, what was the point in electing Obama if he is JUST like Bush??
No expert on this, but I believe there is an international treaty involved. Leaving that aside, the federal government's most popular catch-all is the commerce clause. Nearly impossible to do much of anything without some part of something crossing state lines.

This will make for an interesting debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 10:44 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,920,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Most of Washington is actually conservative. Its just King County(particularly Seattle) that runs everything. If Washington didn't have King County, I think things would be a lot different.
Now there's an understatement!

Old 11-07-2012, 10:49 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,352,536 times
WA isn't a liberal state. It's a conservative state with a band of heavily populated liberal leaning areas and one HEAVILY liberal county.

I wouldn't consider our state to be the most liberal until one of our cities bans happy meal toys.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:36 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,250,740 times
The most Liberal state overall in America would have to be Hawai'i or from New England (Vermont, Connecticut, or Rhode Island).

Old 11-08-2012, 08:15 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,267,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
WA, definately FAR from a Liberal state, tho very adament to become a California Me Too State.

Rememeber... elections in WA don't represent the STATE, only 2 counties within the state. The rest of the state just lives / funds / deals with the results. There are millions of WA voters who have NEVER been on the winning side of a single issue / vote.
(but only 31 yrs of defeat for me...)
Ain't pretty, but so it is with life.
Excellent comment that bears re-posting.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:16 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,032,065 times
The Supreme Court is taking a close look at the Commerce clause. However, with this election the constitution is going to be STRETCHED a bit.

Here is the voting on I502 by county. Initiative Measure No. 502 Concerns marijuana

The split is more north-south than east-west. It really only failed to pass in the farm counties. Guess those farmers are not interested in growing another cash crop!!

Old 11-08-2012, 12:18 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,323,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
The Supreme Court is taking a close look at the Commerce clause. However, with this election the constitution is going to be STRETCHED a bit.

Here is the voting on I502 by county. Initiative Measure No. 502 Concerns marijuana

The split is more north-south than east-west. It really only failed to pass in the farm counties. Guess those farmers are not interested in growing another cash crop!!
Really interesting map of the vote by county. A whole bunch of counties voted for Romney and for marijuana legalization, meaning there were plenty of Republicans voting for legalized marijuana. And in the counties voting for Obama, the percentage voting for legal marijuana was generally much smaller than the percent who voted for Obama. If I'm not mistaken, in those farm counties, hops and wine grapes are pretty big crops. Maybe they didn't want the competition?...and...Okonogan County voted yes on 502? Who'd have thunk?

Old 11-08-2012, 02:30 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,523,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
WA, definately FAR from a Liberal state, tho very adament to become a California Me Too State.

Rememeber... elections in WA don't represent the STATE, only 2 counties within the state. The rest of the state just lives / funds / deals with the results. There are millions of WA voters who have NEVER been on the winning side of a single issue / vote.
(but only 31 yrs of defeat for me...)
Ain't pretty, but so it is with life.
This is the silliest argument. When you say "the rest of the state" just lives with the decisions of two counties (and c'mon, it's way more than just two populous counties), are you talking about land mass, or people? Because it makes no sense! The vote of a person in Seattle has no more weight than a vote of a person in Spokane (a populous county), Walla Walla or Chelan. King County does not "dictate" the results of elections...the people who live there cast one vote per person just like everywhere else in the state. It just so happens that a lot of people live in King County, so that is a lot of individual - not collective - votes to count. And once they are counted, their votes are put into a big ol' spreadsheet right along with yours, or Sally's from Pasco. Statewide elections are based on popular vote - not on how the county swings, or one county's "power" over another. It's not as if counties are assigned a certain number of electoral votes like in the presidential election.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Really interesting map of the vote by county. A whole bunch of counties voted for Romney and for marijuana legalization, meaning there were plenty of Republicans voting for legalized marijuana. And in the counties voting for Obama, the percentage voting for legal marijuana was generally much smaller than the percent who voted for Obama. If I'm not mistaken, in those farm counties, hops and wine grapes are pretty big crops. Maybe they didn't want the competition?...and...Okonogan County voted yes on 502? Who'd have thunk?
Well, if you know anything about Okanogan county, it's not at all surprising about I502. There is a large contingent of a specific group of people that are really into their "hemp goods" and "barter fairs".

Old 11-08-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
This is the silliest argument. When you say "the rest of the state" just lives with the decisions of two counties (and c'mon, it's way more than just two populous counties), are you talking about land mass, or people? Because it makes no sense! The vote of a person in Seattle has no more weight than a vote of a person in Spokane (a populous county), Walla Walla or Chelan. King County does not "dictate" the results of elections...the people who live there cast one vote per person just like everywhere else in the state. It just so happens that a lot of people live in King County, so that is a lot of individual - not collective - votes to count. And once they are counted, their votes are put into a big ol' spreadsheet right along with yours, or Sally's from Pasco. Statewide elections are based on popular vote - not on how the county swings, or one county's "power" over another. It's not as if counties are assigned a certain number of electoral votes like in the presidential election.
Uhhh, what's your point? Semantics don't change the fact that the vast majority of the state's democratic decisions are controlled by a large, isolated group of people who just happen to have the greater population in a very small geographic area. I'm not StealthRabbit, but it seems to me that was the point he/she was making, and I don't see how that point can be argued.

I stole this from the website that "509" just referenced, but I think it makes a clear point on said division, re: Ref-74:

Referendum Measure No. 74 Concerns marriage for same-sex couples
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington