Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 12:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the extra avenue to research, I don't qualify for GMHB, because I'm in a special management zone (the only Federal National Scenic area from what I've heard... but it has plenty of problems of it's own, especially now that the counties are administering it)

Some significant loop holes in I-747 will still leave much discretion to the assessor, as
1) the 1% is an aggregate amount, meaning the county can shift and shuffle the tax burden as they see fix, so long as total county tax stays within the 1% cap (if that would be possible)

2) the 1% does not include any voter approved taxes (think 'Super Majority' - ugh...I feel sick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 07:50 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Default I just received this info about tomorrows emergency hearing.

The emergency hearing scheduled by the Gov. starts at 8:15 am in Olympia

King County Assessor Scott Noble has repeatedly said reimposing a 1% doesn't fix, in his words, the "crisis", the "catastrophe", the "disaster" that the courts created.

There are over 1700 local governments in Washington. Because of the courts, Rep. Ed Orcutt, ranking minority member of the House Finance Committee, reports that according to the Department of Revenue earlier this week that there's a total of $282.4 million in BANKED CAPACITY -- that's the amount that local governments can increase property taxes without a vote of the people (above the 1%).

Gregoire's bill repeals $23.4 million of that amount, but leaves in place $259 million. So the governor's bill threatens taxpayers with A QUARTER OF A BILLION DOLLAR PROPERTY TAX INCREASE ABOVE HER 1%.

I'm hoping for the best and planning for the worst.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:58 PM

473 posts, read 1,702,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The emergency hearing scheduled by the Gov. starts at 8:15 am in Olympia

King County Assessor Scott Noble has repeatedly said reimposing a 1% doesn't fix, in his words, the "crisis", the "catastrophe", the "disaster" that the courts created.

There are over 1700 local governments in Washington. Because of the courts, Rep. Ed Orcutt, ranking minority member of the House Finance Committee, reports that according to the Department of Revenue earlier this week that there's a total of $282.4 million in BANKED CAPACITY -- that's the amount that local governments can increase property taxes without a vote of the people (above the 1%).

Gregoire's bill repeals $23.4 million of that amount, but leaves in place $259 million. So the governor's bill threatens taxpayers with A QUARTER OF A BILLION DOLLAR PROPERTY TAX INCREASE ABOVE HER 1%.

I'm hoping for the best and planning for the worst.
The citizens of Washington need to remove the current government and start over.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:31 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
The citizens of Washington need to remove the current government and start over.
Gotta love a country that you can lose the election count twice, but can keep on counting until you eventually "win", promise not to raise taxes and then immediately start raising taxes! What a great system that we have.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:00 AM

If any of you get a good link to describe the current news on this let us know. (Those of us who live in the news shadow of PDX,) I did hear that they made progress on this today, and have a relief provision for those with incomes less than $57k/ yr. (that may help, I hope...)

But... with the previously 'banked' $$ I don't see a breather in this. The REP web site mentions that the non-elected governor was feeling pressure from the right to do this. And as they mentioned she certainly hasn't been one to curtail "BIG" spending... Washington State Republican Party :: News Item - Gregoire Changes I-747 Stance Under Pressure from Rossi (http://www.wsrp.org/News/Read.aspx?ID=6450 - broken link)

If its politics, its propaganda...(regardless of who's side is whining) and some think we live in a democracy ... But there are whole government infrastructures to support that she created in her previous positions. (she must really like the fluff that CARB will create, it may even dwarf her Clean Air empire). As we know, government doesn't get smaller or more efficient.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Gotta love a country that you can lose the election count twice, but can keep on counting until you eventually "win", promise not to raise taxes and then immediately start raising taxes! What a great system that we have.
sounds like communism government controls everything and not really a free country here. iRS is gestapo

Old 11-30-2007, 09:38 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,943,221 times
The news this morning is that I-747 has been reinstated so that we are back to increases being capped to 1% annually. It would be interesting to see the details and if this can be rolled back as easy as it was reinstated.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:12 AM

here is a bit of discussion regarding yesterday's action. I've yet to see the official details
Sound Politics: One percent tax cap passes

Old 11-30-2007, 04:15 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Default Home Owners have been granted some relief.

When I started this post it was because my assessment increased 80%. My assessment is still 80% higher than last years.

At the same time, prop I-747 was thrown out by the WA Supreme Court. (I-747 limited Statewide Property Tax Increases to 1%)

The good news is that the 1% cap has been reinstated... due, in large part, to voter outrage.

It is good news and I am pleased the legislature stepped in. Home owners, as a group, have been granted some relief.

On the downside, taxing districts that have been "Banking" tax increase authority still have the right to implement all "Banked" taxes.

Also, the Assessor is still free to increase property assessments to whatever he believes the property to be worth.

The 1% cap is good, however, individual property taxes are still subject to dramatic increases based on "Banked" taxing authority and assessment increases determined solely by the Assessor's Office.

Thank You to everyone that helped make the 1% cap a reality...

Old 11-30-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
When I started this post it was because my assessment increased 80%. My assessment is still 80% higher than last years.

At the same time, prop I-747 was thrown out by the WA Supreme Court. (I-747 limited Statewide Property Tax Increases to 1%)

The good news is that the 1% cap has been reinstated... due, in large part, to voter outrage.

It is good news and I am pleased the legislature stepped in. Home owners, as a group, have been granted some relief.

On the downside, taxing districts that have been "Banking" tax increase authority still have the right to implement all "Banked" taxes.

Also, the Assessor is still free to increase property assessments to whatever he believes the property to be worth.

The 1% cap is good, however, individual property taxes are still subject to dramatic increases based on "Banked" taxing authority and assessment increases determined solely by the Assessor's Office.

Thank You to everyone that helped make the 1% cap a reality...
Do you mean they raised your taxes 80% can they really do that at that high of a rate?
I'm hearing about alot of increases in mortgage foreclosures especially here in California. I would then think that if it is that high in Washington people would be losing their homes left and right more than California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington