Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 11:35 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times

Advertisements

Our legislators must know how strongly we feel on the issue and I urge people to send an email. You can find your state Senators at this page:

Find Your Legislator

Send an email and make your position clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 11:53 AM

15 posts, read 77,183 times
Hi 41.. My 2007 property tax bill is $8952.17 or about $750 a month.

When I bought my home, I had enough land to build 2 additional homes and my tax bill has increased each year of my ownership.

What you call property tax is obviously what we call Council Tax. I really find it hard to take it in you pay so much a year, I'll never moan again about ours. Mine is just below £1300 per year when calculated into $ works out at $2681. My house is worth just over 660 US Dollars, I would like to know what your house is valued at.
I feel for you my friend and really hope and pray that things will work out for you.

Take care.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:59 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
I'm just curious, since I'm planning to move to Portland in a year or so, and periodically ponder Vancouver instead (which is doubtful, but not off the table - I have relatives who live in Camas)...what exactly ARE you Washingtonians paying in property tax? My assessment here in CA is based on $455K and my property taxes are $6800 per year, plus I pay California state income tax. Of course, I do get to deduct my property taxes on fed and state tax returns, which decreases the bite a little. My friends in Portland complain about their property taxes, but they're a little over half mine, on a house with an assessed value just a little less, so to me they don't seem that bad. Their state income tax rate is the same, but they have no sales tax. (I don't buy much stuff so the sales tax factor doesn't enter into my decision.) I don't know whether to fall for the "no state income tax" benefit in WA if the property taxes are so onerous. The state has to get tax out people somehow, I guess.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:25 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Default 10% of my wages now go to Property Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgattonian View Post
Hi 41.. My 2007 property tax bill is $8952.17 or about $750 a month.

When I bought my home, I had enough land to build 2 additional homes and my tax bill has increased each year of my ownership.

What you call property tax is obviously what we call Council Tax. I really find it hard to take it in you pay so much a year, I'll never moan again about ours. Mine is just below £1300 per year when calculated into $ works out at $2681. My house is worth just over 660 US Dollars, I would like to know what your house is valued at.

Take care.
The $750 per month is based on the assessed value of 760k. This is for a 30 year old home and the land around it.

Currently, 10% of my wages go just to pay the property tax on my home.

My concern is the assessor just upped the value in one year to 1.25 million... and that is beyond belief.

I have friends living in Europe that own homes and their property tax is only a fraction of what I pay in Washington State. They do pay BIG TIME sales tax... 20% on most items and 10% on the rest... At least a lot of that is discretionary and sales tax is only paid once... not yearly.

I'm sure it is only a matter of time before we reach sales tax parity with our friends across the pond.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:36 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbug View Post
I'm just curious, since I'm planning to move to Portland in a year or so, and periodically ponder Vancouver instead (which is doubtful, but not off the table - I have relatives who live in Camas)...what exactly ARE you Washingtonians paying in property tax? My assessment here in CA is based on $455K and my property taxes are $6800 per year, plus I pay California state income tax. Of course, I do get to deduct my property taxes on fed and state tax returns, which decreases the bite a little. My friends in Portland complain about their property taxes, but they're a little over half mine, on a house with an assessed value just a little less, so to me they don't seem that bad. Their state income tax rate is the same, but they have no sales tax. (I don't buy much stuff so the sales tax factor doesn't enter into my decision.) I don't know whether to fall for the "no state income tax" benefit in WA if the property taxes are so onerous. The state has to get tax out people somehow, I guess.
From my research it appears WA property tax rates and CA tax rates are similar.

The BIG difference is the amount of California Property Tax actually paid by Home Owners cannot increase by more than 2% per year, excluding new construction or additional voter approved taxes.

The Washington Supreme Court just eliminated a somewhat similar measure that voters had approved. Also in Washington, individual property owners have seen their individual assessments as much double this year... not a good place to be if you own your home.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:11 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The BIG difference is the amount of California Property Tax actually paid by Home Owners cannot increase by more than 2% per year, excluding new construction or additional voter approved taxes.

The Washington Supreme Court just eliminated a somewhat similar measure that voters had approved. Also in Washington, individual property owners have seen their individual assessments as much double this year... not a good place to be if you own your home.
Yes, at least ours are somewhat predictably frozen. My town just voted to extend a small extra tax on our libraries and a larger one on schools, but both won by large majorities because the residents value the quality of both here. I don't mind that at all, and it wasn't an increase, anyway, just keeping a tax we already had that was due to expire.

The only thing I don't like about Prop 13 is that you have people living side-by-side paying vastly different taxes just because one poor sucker is younger and bought their house more recently. When I lived in San Francisco, my property taxes were almost 10 times my next-door neighbors', because they were an elderly couple that owned their home at the time Prop 13 went into effect. But at least you're dealing with a known amount. Sounds like you folks get some very nasty surprises of which there isn't much you can do to fight.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:33 PM

88 posts, read 319,141 times
Default i must say

I have been looking to move to Washington specifically Colville and i have checked this blog at least once a week and I have decided to not move to Washington because of the property tax. I cant believe it. But i have been warned anytime you all dont have a state tax they will get you in property tax. I have decided to move to Idaho Falls instead.

Yes I am considering and never thought i would consider places like Arkansas, Okl etc.

It is so sad what I am hearing is happening to you people. Its like you need a second job to just pay your taxes.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:12 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbug View Post
My rate here in Clark County just a few miles north of Vancouver (but in the school district) is 1.1% of appraised value... and I shop in Oregon for some items to duck the sales tax.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
If you have income generated in WA, it can be a good place to live, (best if you are an "employee" and you rent a residence rather than own. Put your RE $$ into investment properties, and that income is not taxed at state level, and you can pass on your costs.)

Our SE WA property mil levy rate is 1.4% but new school and fire bonds coming to vote next yr

I know of places in WA that have less than 0.8% Mil levy, and have a lot more understanding assessors than Clark County, and are still only 30 min to PDX, but they are growing FAST and under pressure for more taxes / services.

BE CAREFUL... OR has a very low thresh-hold for income tax, (~$9,000?) but, they have some areas of favorable Property tax rates, and they don't force tax based on 100% of Assessors discretionary view of Fair Market Value (As WA requires). Some of the new constr in OR I looked into was only taxed at 40% of FMV. OR recently got upgraded in their bond rating, but it is pretty poor in fiscal responsibility. WA has better fiscal responsibility, but they REALLY rape business owners, so be careful if you are bringing a business. (B&O + Personal Property taxes)

and YES --- write those letters, they hear from me pretty regularly... Also some town hall meetings coming in Dec presented by our county assessor. No need to be belligerent, but it is good to ask some probing questions.

Camas Meeting = 5 Dec 7-9pm Library

Old 11-21-2007, 08:56 PM

473 posts, read 1,702,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
You think things are different there?
They're not.
So which state is the lesser of two evils? California or Washington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington