Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 01:26 AM

3 posts, read 5,179 times

Advertisements

I'm deployed right now, and just got orders for Fort Lewis. I know I'll be taking the South exit. I really have my heart set on living in North Tacoma. I have a dog, and a husband, no plans for kids. We are in our mid-twenties, and do not want to live in Suburbia. Just somewhere somewhat away from the military life style, but I do NOT want a commute more than 45 minutes. I'm from the DC metro area, where a serious commute was an hour to and hour and a half, and Fridays could be two hours. How bad exactly is the traffic outside of JBLM compared to the DC Metro area? I've heard I-5 is a "nightmare", but compared to what exactly?

I was also looking in Steilacoom or Olympia? What would be the best place for a mid-twenties couple who haven't seen each other in 3 years, who just want to have some fun together? Walking distance to some pubs, or fun venues with maybe some sort of public transportation?

Any insight would be great? Is this actually possible, if not, I guess I'll just manage to move to a cheap apartment in Lacey, and call it a day.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 04:13 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,646 times
Well, I've not lived in DC but have visited the area and It's difficult to compare traffic as, to me, stop-and-go traffic is stop-and-go traffic no matter where you are. Yes, I-5 through the Tacoma area can get nasty in both directions during both AM and PM commuting times. I wouldn't want to hassle with it daily. But anywhere in a metro area, traffic is a fact of life.

It sounds as if you have your heart set on living in an urban setting; an older, traditional-type neighborhood. Have you considered some of the older neighborhoods in Olympia? I would rather make the commute from Olympia to JBLM than from the Stadium area of Tacoma pertaining to traffic congestion. The traffic can get a little congested going through the Nisqually area on I-5 but it is a rather short distance and not as consistently bad as it is in the Tacoma proper corridor of I-5.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:35 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,028 times
Traffic can be a pain around JBLM but I doubt it compares at all to DC. If you are looking to be close, Steilacoom or Lacey would be your best bet. I don't know Steilacoom intimately, but I enjoy driving through there. It has a nice vibe. I'm not a huge fan of Lacey. I find it more congested and not pedestrian friendly.
Since you mentioned walking distance to pubs, I would check out the houses on the South, East and lower West side of Olympia. You could walk downtown and have nice access to pubs, Puget Sound, and the Farmer's Market. You should be able to find rentals on Craigslist and there are decent apartments heading South from downtown. There are apartments on 9th Ave in Olympia that are pretty nice. I believe they frequently raise their rents, but if you just want to find a quick place to settle in until you can find a more permanent place, it should fit the bill. It is close to Black Lake Blvd, giving you easy freeway access. Commute should be about 25 minutes, of course depending on traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington