Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 03:00 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Of course. Anyone familiar with the ad campaigns conducted in Europe to lure settlers to occupy the land even as the indigenous inhabitants were driven off? The Homestead Act gave farm size allotments for FREE. First large scale government subsidy of industry, getting Europeans out there where they could be customers to buy farming supplies. No reason to expect that to let up. Business really only cares about outsiders' financial means. What their values are doesn't make any difference.
Yes... and in the case of Washington it is not only business... it is the people through their elected representatives in government putting out the welcome mat.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:39 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Those that don't learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them...

As a side note... all the Californians moving to other States are not doing it without help...

For someone to buy, someone has to be willing to sell... plus all the marketing that goes out to entice people to come in.

Each year, I get several nice packets from the Washington tourism office

I live in a state that is trying to entice California businesses - particularly Silicon Valley internet companies - to move to our state.

A number of them already have. Why? Cheap(er) labor and living expenses.

Some see "economic development" - I see crowded cities and freeways.

I hope to retire to California - RURAL California....not the big cities....after everyone has left.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:57 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Oh yeah? Remember, they elected Reagan and Schwarzenegger to responsible political office. College was once free in California. The state has been on the longest downhill run in the history of the republic. Be afraid. Be VERY afraid!
Don't worry: Washingtonians are just as stupid as Californians. They passed a Proposition 13-like property tax rollback that has similarly squeezed the state for funds, and they even slashed fees for car tabs and virtually destroyed a great state ferry system, all on their own, without Californians helping. Enough Californians won't like Seattle that they'll leave, anyway.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:31 PM

California is 12% of the population and created 15% of the jobs over the last year...

California poised for growth, Beacon Economics report says - Sacramento Business Journal

Old 12-25-2012, 11:47 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,175 times
Not from the state government you're not. The tourism "office" is a privately funded enterprise now. I thought it was a dumb idea to kill this particular government activity in Washington a couple of years ago - it's one that actually generated a return on investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Each year, I get several nice packets from the Washington tourism office

Old 12-26-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Not from the state government you're not. The tourism "office" is a privately funded enterprise now. I thought it was a dumb idea to kill this particular government activity in Washington a couple of years ago - it's one that actually generated a return on investment.
Guess the one I received March 2012 will be the last.

Looks like it closed several months ago and is the only State without a funded office of tourism.

The Washington State Tourism Office employed six people in its office in Olympia, the capital, and had a budget of $1.8 million before it closed on June 30. The budget had been $7 million the previous year and more than $10 million several years before that. The state has transferred much of the office’s tangible property, including trade show booths, brochures and digital photo archives, to members of a tourism alliance formed this year with the goal of taking over statewide marketing coordination.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/12/us...rism.html?_r=0

Old 12-26-2012, 12:52 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Many are coming right up here. Since California is on the brink of bankruptcy (over the cliff, you might say) I heard the governor is thinking about an 'Exit Tax'. Taxing those who are leaving as if they are still living and working in California. California exodus as thousands quit state for Texas, Ariz., elsewhere - U.S. News
This is old news "About 100,000 more people moved away from California in 2011 than relocated to the Golden State"

I don't see any "droves" leaving my california city, and I haven't heard of any colleagues, friends, or family.....hmmm...sounds like an old exaggeration to me

Old 12-26-2012, 04:58 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
The article, and this resulting thread has very little to do with Seattle, or Washington.

If you want to continue to participate in discussions involving California issues, visit the California forum.

/thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington