Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 03:07 PM

8 posts, read 14,814 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

We feel we are starting to get to know Seattle by all your posts. So firstly, thank you!

Most folks move here for jobs, school, or just plain because it's so beautiful. But my husband and I have found this *awesome* church called Sonrise in so. Everett (kinda near Lynwood) We have not heard too many positive things about either area, yet we want to live within 15 minutes from church.

We are also hoping to build if there are any lots around. But that second.

We would love to know what safe, clean, pretty areas are about 15 minutes from the church location.

We would *greatly* appreciate any input. Have the Merriest of Christmas'

Wenz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 05:06 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,016,683 times
You're right that south Everett and much of Lynwood is a rather rough area. However, within 15-minutes of Sonrise Chapel that are safe, clean, and pretty, I'd would recommend Mukilteo or Mill Creek.

Mukilteo (click here for the City-Data profile page) is within 12-minutes (click here for the Google map routing) and its crime rate is below the national average.

Mill Creek (click here for the City-Data profile page) is also within 15-minutes in the opposite direction (click here for the Google map) and also has a very low crime rate. It has a suburbanish feel to it and not really a quaint town.

There are other good areas too but will be just a bit more than 15-minutes away. Most areas (towns and suburbs in western Washington) can be considered clean and pretty, in my opinion anyway.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:57 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,236,894 times
I'll second what poopskooper just said. Mukilteo is on Puget Sound, so it has great views of the Olympic mountains and the water. Mill Creek has lots of newer homes and lots of shopping. It is a more suburban feel.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,174,082 times
You could also look in Edmonds, there are nice neighborhoods west of highway 99 toward the water and it's a short run up either 99 or I5 to Everett.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:57 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,007,724 times
Another area to look at is silver firs. It technically has an Everett address but its more like bothell or mill creek. Parts border on snohomish, which still seems like a good place to buy relatively inexpensive land to build on.

Edmonds, mukilteo and mill creek are nicer more city like areas, but land costs much more as well.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:31 PM

96 posts, read 233,647 times
My advice, moving for a church, been there, done that. I wouldn't even consider that now. It's my advice, though. We moved here. Lived in Indiana 39 years and the South for 5. Cannot wait to get back. Everett is awful. Why would you want to leave South Carolina for here? The cost of living is really high. You want to build, you could build three houses in S. Carolina for the cost of building one house here. I just wouldn't do it. Mill Creek is ok but you will pay dearly for living there financially. Lynwood is going downhill fast. Arlington and Marysville are starting to go downhill. Bothell is having crime issues. I have witnessed three crimes here since May and have reported a lot more than that (property crime after the fact doesn't constitute a witness, it just means you are reporting a break in and stolen goods). God is everywhere. You don't have to move for a church to be closer to God. He is wherever you are. Oh, and you will grow tired of the rain after a couple of years. Trust me on this. Gorgeous the first year, second, meh, and so on. Also, the people here are not receptive as they are in the South. Not at all. Friendly, yes. Open and receptive? No. You will have a difficult time meeting people who will actually go through with meeting you for coffee. Don't worry about unpacking your house because company will never show up. Just to let you know. Find happiness within, moving to find it just isn't what it is all cracked up to be. God bless you.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:28 PM

172 posts, read 223,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr1967 View Post
My advice, moving for a church, been there, done that. I wouldn't even consider that now. It's my advice, though. We moved here. Lived in Indiana 39 years and the South for 5. Cannot wait to get back. Everett is awful. Why would you want to leave South Carolina for here? The cost of living is really high. You want to build, you could build three houses in S. Carolina for the cost of building one house here. I just wouldn't do it. Mill Creek is ok but you will pay dearly for living there financially. Lynwood is going downhill fast. Arlington and Marysville are starting to go downhill. Bothell is having crime issues. I have witnessed three crimes here since May and have reported a lot more than that (property crime after the fact doesn't constitute a witness, it just means you are reporting a break in and stolen goods). God is everywhere. You don't have to move for a church to be closer to God. He is wherever you are. Oh, and you will grow tired of the rain after a couple of years. Trust me on this. Gorgeous the first year, second, meh, and so on. Also, the people here are not receptive as they are in the South. Not at all. Friendly, yes. Open and receptive? No. You will have a difficult time meeting people who will actually go through with meeting you for coffee. Don't worry about unpacking your house because company will never show up. Just to let you know. Find happiness within, moving to find it just isn't what it is all cracked up to be. God bless you.
My, you are negative on this area. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. That's one of the great things about a country as large and diverse as ours--you can find just about any set of criteria somewhere in the USA where you will be happy. I hope your circumstances will allow you to leave as soon as you are able to. But I'm sorry you feel you have to try to dissuade the Wenz's from moving here. You are not happy in the Puget Sound, but untold hundreds of thousands are.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:47 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,139,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr1967 View Post
Find happiness within, moving to find it just isn't what it is all cracked up to be.
I find that an ironic statement coming from someone who just trashed an entire region and can't wait to leave...to become happier.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:45 AM

611 posts, read 1,199,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I find that an ironic statement coming from someone who just trashed an entire region and can't wait to leave...to become happier.
I actually found it sound advice. Some of what LOTR stated was the first things that I thought when I read the OP. I am from NC and since my family still lives in SC, I visit a lot. The difference between to two areas is like night and day. When it rains down there, it's an impressive thunderstorm that is gone within the hour. You can get a tan in the summer and swim in the ocean (without a wet suit). The people are very friendly and if you are Southern, it is genuine. And the cost of living at least in SC (haven't looked at NC in many years) is considerably less. Plus retirees get a large deduction on their property taxes. Churches are more stable in the South as the area is very religious still.

Now compare that to Western Washington....although I heard/saw 3 good thunderstorms this past year, I hadn't seen one for probably 7 years prior to that. It rains a lot and in the summers I crave the day to feel the heat from the sun on my face. You will get hypothermia quick if you try to swim in the ocean in a bikini on a July day. Yes, people in the PNW are actually known across the country for being hard to get to know. Friendly, but slow to invite you to do things and flaky when invited by someone else. The PNW also statistically has the lowest number of church going folks. The traditional churches are all struggling although the newer "Christian churches" that are not affiliated with any denomination seem to be doing ok through out most of the country. And as far as what LOTR said about crime and deteriation of the cities....I can't speak for some of the towns that he/she mentioned as I don't get up there enough to compare what they used to be like. I've never cared for Everett. It always felt like one busy street leading into another. I have watched the Puget Sound area grow over the past 20 years and it is suffering the growing pains that go along with it.

Nothing personal here. I would by wary of making that large of a move for a church, especially since it will be harder to find the "perfect church" in this area if for some reason Sonrise Chapel isn't a good fit. Disclaimer note: I have not been to church reguarly in more than 20 years so I guess I wouldn't understand someone moving 30 miles to be closer to a church.

I lived in Washington for 22 years and developed some very good friendships over time. Yes, the rain got to me after awhile but I found ways of dealing with it. LOTR didn't really hold back and it came off very harshly but there were some truths to the statements made. I'm actually surprised that no one else said anything....I doubt very few people from the area would actually understand someone moving that far away to be close to a church. In fact people will probably find that odd and think them religious zealots.

If the OP posted that they loved hiking, kayaking and skiing and long political discussions at coffee shops I would say this is a great move. But moving for religious reasons... I would also recommend they do some homework and have a long visit first. Just to make sure this is for them. I would hate to see someone spend a big chunk of money out of their retirement and find that they were not happy.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:02 AM

297 posts, read 791,685 times
Mukilteo is a nice but pricey place. OK, got that out of the way.

I too would be very leery about moving to a whole new area of the country for a church. I'm a church-goer but we have been on a roller coaster with our home congregation over the decades -- pastors come and go, the administrative board changes, you get the idea. What you love about this church may change drastically, and then you have pulled up stakes to move across the country for it.

If everything ELSE in the area is to your liking -- weather, traffic, shopping, culture, etc. -- go for it, but I would strongly recommend not moving just because of a church, unless of course they have hired you for your livelihood. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington