Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 05:55 AM

1 posts, read 970 times

Advertisements

My wife and 2 children are planning to move to the Western Washington area to be closer to family. Does anybody have an idea what the teaching market is like? I have 15 years experience in elementary education. I imagine it is going to be tight but I am hoping it won't be impossible. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 08:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,114 posts, read 80,221,880 times
While there is still a lot of demand for special ed teachers due to burnout, most districts have been having a few layoffs every year, with class size increases due to state budget problems.
With home prices (and tax revenue) going up now, that could help if it continues.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:51 PM

4,482 posts, read 9,247,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popscube View Post
My wife and 2 children are planning to move . . .
I think you should move with them.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:42 PM

118 posts, read 207,300 times
teacher salaries are public record, choose your district wisely some are better than others. You'll also be the most hated public employee in the state and most overcompensated one at least according to popular opinion. My moms a public school teach in western washington hope it works out for you.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:44 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,697,225 times
My wife WAS a teacher, it was terrible. One copier in the whole school that she had to be there by 6am or stay until 6pm to use, 3 overhead projectors...she was always having to buy batteries or learning aids for her classes because there wasn't anything(science), and was supposed to get re-embursed but they never did. Then they started layoffs and she was one of them and they keep on coming although at a slowed pace. For the education level the pay is about the same as the private sector, pro-rated of course as you get summer off and you'll need it. A majority of the kids are implants spoiled kids that are completely nieve that the teacher is there to prepare them for "competition" in the new world economy where we no longer have an advantage. The public hates you, the students hate you...my wife retrained for another profession and will never go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington