Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:35 PM

237 posts, read 1,081,343 times

Advertisements

I've been investigating the crime indexes for all the major areas of WA - Seattle, Olympia, Tacoma. It seems that no matter where you go the auto theft is sky high.

Is this something to be concerned about - or are there only certain areas where this is a daily reality?

Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 04:05 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,404 times
Yes, it's true, although I wouldn't think Olympia would be nearly as high as Seattle/Tacoma. I feel like I've said this too many times already but one person was recently arrested for stealing 150 cars in 6 months.

All you need is a decent security system and remember, never leave anything of value in your car. I know, easier said than done!

Old 10-22-2007, 05:05 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,678 times
It's pretty bad everywhere including the eastside suburbs of Seattle. A lot of people come across the bridge strictly to steal cars, and with an upscale suburb of Seattle (Mercer Island) a 15 walk across the bridge from a rather slummy area of Seattle (Rainier/central dist.) car theft is a real concern. I know people who've had their cars broken into numerous times on the eastside even with car alarms and being parked in a well-light safe neighborhood with a watch program and regular police patrols. It's a shame really...

Old 10-22-2007, 10:22 PM

473 posts, read 1,702,374 times
It depends on what is hot on the market at the time. Of course the crime of opportunity doesn't help when the person leaves there keys in the car or in the trunk lock.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:25 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Yeah, unfortunately car theft has been VERY BAD in Washington State. One of our cars was stolen from our driveway (fortunately recovered the very next day - it had been taken for a joy ride) and a good friend of mine had a car stolen as well (never recovered). A big part of the reason for the high car theft rate has been the fact that car theft has historically been "barely punished". Recent laws changes increase the punishment, but in my opinion it's still punished way too lightly.

Ken

Old 10-23-2007, 06:25 AM

237 posts, read 1,081,343 times
Thanks for the articles - Very informative.

I grew up in Green Bay, WI. We always left our cars running while running into the post office, gas station, or a quick trip into the grocery store. Hiding valuables & locking the doors will have to be a new habit of mine.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:41 AM

403 posts, read 1,563,658 times
Where I live, it doesn't seem to be so much car theft as it is vandalism. I am not sure if one is better than the other. I woke up to a flat tire and when I took it in to get fixed, they pulled out a razor blade. Great. Not. I guess I was the 3rd person in there that day to have a razor blade pulled out of a tire. There seems to be streaks of car windows being busted out, just for fun apparently. Nothing seems to get taken. I would guess that it is just kids out for a good time??????????????

Old 10-23-2007, 08:43 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,062,322 times
I agree with all that's been posted, and with the comment above me - I would even widen that to include a more general term of "Property Crime" as a real problem.

Seattle is a very safe city, in regards to your personal safety - but property is another situation. It's bad.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:33 PM

309 posts, read 365,344 times
Just last weekend up here in Whatcom Co. a 17 year old kid stole someone's pickup truck in Bellingham........took it for a "joy ride" and ended up crashing it into a ditch at high speed on a narrow, country road at 4 in the morning.
He wasn't even being pursued by police.....but now he's dead.
One less car thief up this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington