Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 10:32 AM

4 posts, read 3,934 times

Advertisements

My last post didn't get any responses so I'm trying again.

I was accepted to U of Puget Sound and will need to relocate from my present residence in Oakland, CA. I'm looking for a safe area to live in with relatively cheaper rent.

I am a single mom, and have a 5 year old who will enter Kindergarten. He is bilingual so I'd like to continue his Spanish at a language immersion school I read that there are a few schools, but two public - Sheridan and Blix. I'm leaning toward Blix Elementary which is in the East side of Tacoma on E 38th. I believe that area is named "Stadium"? Is this area safe? Anyone have info on Blix Elementary? Is it possible to live in Northern parts where it is safer, but request to still go to a school out of the "zone"?

In the Bay Area, we have a newsgroup network called Berkeley Parents Network to ask questions, recommend, and read past questions/answers, etc. Is there something equivalent for locals in the Seattle-Tacoma area?

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 06:42 PM

238 posts, read 865,967 times
Blix & Sheridan are in East Tacoma which is not considered the safest area of town. The area around Sheridan is better than Blix. I attended the old Sheridan that was torn down and attended Rogers which Blix replaced. the Stadium District is just north of Downtown and is a more urban residential and commercial neighborhood attracting a lot of 20-40 year olds. Yes you can request for your children to go to another school outside of its area.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:08 PM

541 posts, read 1,730,359 times
Choose Sheridian over Blix. I agree. Overall the area isn't the greatest but Sheridian is a better area on the Eastside of Tacoma.

The homes and buildings in this area tend to be smaller, older, and run down in some areas. But police presence is pretty good and they police substation nearby. They also watch the schools and make sure things are safe.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the tips. I found out that Sheridan eliminated its language program so Blix is the top contender. I am considering living closer to UPS and commuting my son to school at Blix. Is this going to be reasonable with traffic? I am looking in the Stadium/Hilltop area or somewhere on the East side of campus.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:11 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,691 times
If I were you I'd try to find a school in a better area, as well as a better place to live. The areas schools have a very high drop out rate. Tacoma is filled with gangs and they generally start out in school....when you get here, drive by Lincoln High School when school gets out. It's like a scene from Gangsta's Paradise. Stadium is bad too.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:59 PM

Thanks. Any recommendations for doctors/practices in the area? We are healthy - rarely get sick, and currently have Blue Cross coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: