Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 02:19 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,141,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Personally, I really enjoy my time in Western WA... about the only thing I find down right frightening is a fierce winter wind storm or one after weeks of rain when every tree is viewed with suspicion...
Heh, that was the case in San Francisco, too. I live in the rainshadow in Port Townsend, so we get very little rain compared to Seattle or Olympia, but in SF the winter storms would eventually saturate the ground and the huge, shallow-rooted Monterey Pines in Golden Gate Park and along Sunset would just topple over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 03:55 AM

118 posts, read 207,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I moved to WA from CA three years ago and I've never met anyone who cared that I was a Californian. My neighbor moved here from San Jose 14 years ago and a lot of my other friends here used to live in CA, too. No one gives a hoot as long as you don't try to turn the place into where you came from, but I think that's true of almost anywhere. And besides, if you like where you live so much, you wouldn't move, anyway.

I wouldn't expect other Californian transplants to complain about other Californian transplants so

let me be the first native washingtonian to say GO BACK TO CALIFORNIA!

best regards and drive safe

Old 02-22-2013, 07:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,138 posts, read 80,240,475 times
When we mover here we rushed to get WA plates on our cars due to the perceived bias against CA immigrants. Within a week we found out that 2/3 of our neighbors were also from CA. Now, 20 years later, if we tell someone we are originally from CA most say "we are too."

Still, looking at the facts, people leaving CA are staying close by for the most part, with border states Nevada and Oregon gaining the most. Texas is way up there, and considering the distance, means it's definitely an attraction for some ex-Californians. Probably the more conservative people.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 AM

16,572 posts, read 27,269,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When we mover here we rushed to get WA plates on our cars due to the perceived bias against CA immigrants. Within a week we found out that 2/3 of our neighbors were also from CA. Now, 20 years later, if we tell someone we are originally from CA most say "we are too."

Still, looking at the facts, people leaving CA are staying close by for the most part, with border states Nevada and Oregon gaining the most. Texas is way up there, and considering the distance, means it's definitely an attraction for some ex-Californians. Probably the more conservative people.
Nailed it. That's generally who moves there.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:28 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,137,104 times
I am like hey wait a minuet? What are all the regular CA forum people doing on the Washington forum... Why was this moved from the CA forum??????

I would like to here from mods on that.... Like stated Texas threads go on and on in the California forum...

What the heck?

What about us liberal, environmental outdoors type, that want to talk about California alternatives like western Washington??

I scream foul play!

Yes, Hemlock...I see it as you do.... Texas is popular with conservatives.. IMO the ones that can not handle CA social and environmental policy, and those that put work (financial gain) before play (landscape, outdoor activity and environment)

Gentoo,
You are dead nuts on like usual...

Old 02-22-2013, 09:31 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,774,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I am sick and tired of the silly controversy about Texas being "better" than California. There is only one place in the nation that beats the pants off California: Washington State ... and here's why (language alert ... but it's the only good way to make the ****ing points):

CAMP666 : WASHINGTON IS BETTER THAN YOUR STATE
Eastern Wash leans heavily to the left...feels good to the Cali defectors.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:35 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,034,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Eastern Wash leans heavily to the left...feels good to the Cali defectors.
Eastern Washington leans right, due mostly to King County western Washington leans left.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 AM

You know I first joined City-Data in the Seattle forum. Feels like coming home

Old 02-22-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
I am like hey wait a minuet? What are all the regular CA forum people doing on the Washington forum... Why was this moved from the CA forum??????

I would like to here from mods on that.... Like stated Texas threads go on and on in the California forum...

What the heck?

What about us liberal, environmental outdoors type, that want to talk about California alternatives like western Washington??

I scream foul play!

Yes, Hemlock...I see it as you do.... Texas is popular with conservatives.. IMO the ones that can not handle CA social and environmental policy, and those that put work (financial gain) before play (landscape, outdoor activity and environment)

Gentoo,
You are dead nuts on like usual...
Thanks. Gets me into trouble though

Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 AM

21,664 posts, read 24,798,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The latitude is similar to other great metros around the world...

I do know people that miss the sun too much and have returned...

Also know quite a few LA transplants that take a sun vacation every January...

The 20 and 21 year old in the couple mentioned and their friends have definitely noticed the new WA laws...
I round about returned. Seattle to Prague to Korea back to California. I wouldn't mind going back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington