Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:47 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times

Advertisements

Well, well, well, looks like there's a bit of life left in the thread even in the normally quiet, calm, damp Washington forum and fun to see some of the California regulars follow it up here.

For you Washingtonians, this was started as a California thread in response to a pattern of whining that goes on in that forum about how every decent Californian is going to flee the horrid conditions of the nation's number 1 GDP state with the finest weather and outdoors activities and beauty to die for ... blahblah blah etcetcetc ... Nonsense. Just a lot of Chicken-littles on that board all the time who need a wake up call and a good chuckle. 37 million Californians, most of whom are happy as clams to be living in such a wonderful state, and a few dozen on a forum sounding an alarm as if they have insight the other 36,999,952 don't.

So I made this thread with the hilariously funny link showing in the first post ... And those who have the power to deny, denied it belonged in the California forum. Whatever. Enjoy yourselves here with it. I live in Washington, California, and Hawaii all three -- because I know where life can be lived to the fullest.

Aloha, put on your Gortex, and get gnarly, dudes ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
I've always liked the Washington forums anyway. Too bad I don't know enough to participate over here more often. It's much better...uh..."maintained" LOL. I'm actually glad it got moved here.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:05 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Stop encouraging people to move to Washington

Old 02-22-2013, 01:30 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Ok ... How about Hawaii then?

Here's the thing about both Washington and Hawaii (and Oregon, too) ... People from California don't last either place unless they are unusually well suited ... In which case: what works, works. People raised in a mild, sunny climate usually "flee" back to California from Washington's dull, damp gray dominate weather. And they don't usually find the limitations and isolation of Hawaii very appealing either.

So, no worry.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Ok ... How about Hawaii then?

Here's the thing about both Washington and Hawaii (and Oregon, too) ... People from California don't last either place unless they are unusually well suited ... In which case: what works, works. People raised in a mild, sunny climate usually "flee" back to California from Washington's dull, damp gray dominate weather. And they don't usually find the limitations and isolation of Hawaii very appealing either.

So, no worry.
I agree with this. Those attracted to, and who would make a good fit in Washington are not the ones who's presence would annoy you. Those types of Californians annoy us while we're down here with them still. Those people do not do their homework before moving. I personally do like like endless stretches of sunny weather believe it or not. I avoid being in the sun actually whenever I can. I like cool temperatures too and don't appreciate heat. However I don't need extreme cold in winter but like mild summers. All this for me ads up to the PNW being where I need to be. Seattle especially appeals to me because it is particularly very different from Southern California which I especially don't care for.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:37 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
The opening led to a link, that made claims for Washington. A big fable was noted here, that claimed Bill Gates created windows. WRONG.

Windows (the graphical user interface system) was invented by Xerox for their Xerox Alto Computer in Palo Alto California, Steve Jobs saw it on a visit, and saw it as the future of computers, started developing the system for the Apple Lisa computer which led to the Macintosh computer.

Windows that Gates marketed the system that was invented by Tim Paterson, who sold the rights to his invention to Bill Gates, who along with Paul Allen took that invention and built it to what it is today.

The GUI system was invented and first used in California, not Washington.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:45 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-rev View Post
I wouldn't expect other Californian transplants to complain about other Californian transplants so

let me be the first native washingtonian to say GO BACK TO CALIFORNIA!

best regards and drive safe
Well, nobody said people in the Pacific Northwest were friendly.......

BUT

What did you think about those bumper stickers in eastern Washington that said.....

Have a nice trip BACK to Seattle.

Live and let live.....last I looked we do not have internal passports in this country.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:53 PM

On another more upbeat note, I just got off the phone for a possible job in Seattle. Hopefully all this goes well.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:56 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Just show them how dark and rainy it is... Look at the forecast..... Hmmm..45 degrees, with 40 mile an hour gusting winds... Luckily not everyone cares for that....

Old 02-22-2013, 05:01 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
On another more upbeat note, I just got off the phone for a possible job in Seattle. Hopefully all this goes well.

Good for you.. Back "home" for you..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington