Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2007, 05:47 PM

5 posts, read 15,887 times

Advertisements

Here is what my family and I are looking for.

We want to live in a smaller city, good neighborhood (low crime) near schools, parks, and shopping. We want to be able to live on not much more than minimum wage in a two bedroom apartment (please list prices with suggestions TIA!) or condo.

We arent too too picky about the weather, but we do want to hear about how the weather is in the area(s) you are suggesting.

If I am leaving anything out or you feel there is anything else you want to tell us about, please do We really appreciate any info we can get!

P.S. What are jobs like out there? Is there much of a need for HVAC or specialty jobs? If so, list what you know. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 06:17 PM

5 posts, read 15,887 times
Default Jobs in, well all over, WA

My husband and I are considering moving to WA (not sure where yet) sometime in the next year, and I want to learn more about the job situation out there. Right now my husband does HVAC (commercial refrigeration) and I dont think there would be much of a need for that there, but he wants to get into law enforcment soon. However, I am worried about an injury he had not even a year ago (compound fracture) and I am afraid that it may make it difficult if not impossible for him to get into law enforcement.

So he has experience in HVAC, Navigation (was in the Navy for 4 1/2 years as BM and QM) and loves to WORK, not sit behind a desk. He likes hard labor and to really work hard. Also, what is the pay out there like in those fields?? Right now, he is making $13/hour in HVAC and $8/hour at a part time job and we are barely making it out here in So Cal even with my minimum wage income added to it.

So if you have a suggestion on what part of WA he would have the best opportunities in, then please please share! TIA!!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:03 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,041,958 times
(I merged your two posts into one thread so you don't have people answering your questions about jobs in two different places. Let's keep all responses to your inquiries in one thread.)

Old 10-26-2007, 12:38 PM

17,207 posts, read 57,035,276 times
OK, I'll talk about Tri-Cities area since I know it. There are several residential HVAC contractors around here, the cost of living is fairly reasonable, housing is way cheaper than CA. Look at Richland, Kennewick, Pasco, Burbank, Benton City, Prosser, even Grandview.

You could consider also Sunnyside and for that matter, Yakima, although they are not really part of the "Tri-City" area.

Not clear to me why hubby thinks he wants to get out of HVAC and into LE - completely different fields. Would suggest he set up an account on Officer.com - run by a friend of mine, an ex-Reno NV cop. The real life of a cop is not what Hollywood shows, no doubt he knows this - Officer.com is a good place to find out about LE as a career without committing much time or effort. Connell has a fair-sized prison, as does Walla Walla, the Walla Walla prison is sometimes referred to as "The Walls" and there are quite a few in there doing hard time. Prison guard does not sound like much of a career choice to me, but, things being as they are, you can get a paying job as a guard.

It's hard to get ahead on minimum wage. If you would need a 2nd car and to pay for day care, do the math, you may be better off staying home, and/or getting some sort of training so you can get more than minimum wage..

Good luck in any case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington