Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:26 PM

687 posts, read 1,489,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGTSO View Post
Get used to the California hating and welcome to Washington from a former Califronia resident. I usually just tell people I am from South of here. It is a catch22 because as soon as people know you came from California they ask you questions about how things are down there. The next thing you know they use your replies as ammunition to assert that you are trying to change "their" place. I moved up here to get away from California, not to bring it with me. Anyways, do what makes you happy and ignore the haters.
What we found interesting was that EVERY single person we spoke to was actually from California! On the other hand, when I was at Target at home (Palm Springs), everybody around me in line was talking about how much they loved the weather because they were visiting from...you guessed it...Washington!

I have no intention of trying to change anything. I love the town we found. I figure if the only thing people find to hate about me is where I'm from, I'm in pretty good shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,940,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
Many people warned us of scams through Craigslist, where "landlords" insist they be given all rent, fees and deposits up front. This would have made me very uncomfortable anyway, so I was glad to hear it wasn't legal. I hope this is helpful for anyone else rental hunting in the near future.

I'll tell you of a scam that apartment managers get away with all the time.

They may have a vacancy that they advertise, knowing good well that thier buddy or a relative will end up renting it.

In the mean time they pocket all the application and/or credit check fees that folks hand over to them who really need a place to live, only to be told later that the apartment has been rented to another applicant.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:29 PM

231 posts, read 588,854 times
Quote:
What we found interesting was that EVERY single person we spoke to was actually from California! On the other hand, when I was at Target at home (Palm Springs), everybody around me in line was talking about how much they loved the weather because they were visiting from...you guessed it...Washington!

I have no intention of trying to change anything. I love the town we found. I figure if the only thing people find to hate about me is where I'm from, I'm in pretty good shape.
Yes, I have experienced the same thing. People ask you where you are from and you say California. then they get this look on their face of disgust. Then you ask them where they are from and they say,"California, but we have been here for _X_ years", as if that makes them better than you. I really do not understand the "locals only" attitude of some places. I like to think that we are all free to move and live anywhere in "our" country.
BTW, we have been here for three years and my wife still refers to Ca as home, too.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:43 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,826,764 times
That link is really helpful.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGTSO View Post
Yes, I have experienced the same thing. People ask you where you are from and you say California. then they get this look on their face of disgust. Then you ask them where they are from and they say,"California, but we have been here for _X_ years", as if that makes them better than you. I really do not understand the "locals only" attitude of some places. I like to think that we are all free to move and live anywhere in "our" country.
BTW, we have been here for three years and my wife still refers to Ca as home, too.
We found everybody to be really friendly and helpful. My family has teased me, though, that if people aren't particularly nice, they tend to disappear off my radar and just don't exist to me.

I have to admit that I do understand the "locals only" attitude, and I've mentioned it on this forum before. The whole Coachella Valley had a very small-town, neighborly feel to it, until people from LA and Orange County "discovered" us. Now, there are so many big box stores, gated communities and HOAs, it's just a whole different country club mentality. And, yes, the "real" locals are a little sad about it.

After nearly 40 years in one town, it'll be hard to call someplace else home, but I sure do plan on giving it my best!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 AM

203 posts, read 515,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
I'll tell you of a scam that apartment managers get away with all the time.

They may have a vacancy that they advertise, knowing good well that thier buddy or a relative will end up renting it.

In the mean time they pocket all the application and/or credit check fees that folks hand over to them who really need a place to live, only to be told later that the apartment has been rented to another applicant.
When I first read (on here) about a background check fee being charged I instantly thought of how that could be abused so badly. I have never been charged a fee from any landlords here in Texas so it surprised me when I read about it. What would stop anyone from posting an ad for a vacancy that doesn't even exist?! Also, how can people even afford to look at more than a few places if they each charge a fee to check your background anyway?

Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsaustin View Post
When I first read (on here) about a background check fee being charged I instantly thought of how that could be abused so badly. I have never been charged a fee from any landlords here in Texas so it surprised me when I read about it. What would stop anyone from posting an ad for a vacancy that doesn't even exist?! Also, how can people even afford to look at more than a few places if they each charge a fee to check your background anyway?
This is why I originally questioned it. When I first started seeing all the charges, it made me suspicious of everything. Since it is so "scammable", we decided it was safer to go through a rental agent, rather than a private party. Once we found a place we liked, even though it was just $45 for the credit/background check, we realized we weren't going to look into anything else until we had a definite answer. It could definitely add up quickly!

Old 04-05-2013, 06:48 AM

13,825 posts, read 29,831,611 times
Quote:
The whole Coachella Valley had a very small-town, neighborly feel to it, until people from LA and Orange County "discovered" us. Now, there are so many big box stores, gated communities and HOAs, it's just a whole different country club mentality. And, yes, the "real" locals are a little sad about it.

After nearly 40 years in one town, it'll be hard to call someplace else home, but I sure do plan on giving it my best!
Riverside Countiers unite!

WA is a very lovable place, why do you think so many of us ex-CA'ians have infested it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington