Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 01:48 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Seattle area can spend billion building on/off ramps on I-5 but can't spend a million on a simple on/off ramp in Sequim.
I-5 is an interstate and has different requirements. Your road in Port Angeles is not a freeway and doesn't require on/off ramps. Also, it is pointless to compare traffic in Port Angeles to anywhere in Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 10:32 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,409,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I-5 is an interstate and has different requirements. Your road in Port Angeles is not a freeway and doesn't require on/off ramps. Also, it is pointless to compare traffic in Port Angeles to anywhere in Seattle.
Glad to know the world revolves around you and your liberal friends. Its as much my tax dollars as it is yours and people who don't live in the I-5 CORRIDOR want their share of taxes spend where they live and not in Seattle.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:54 AM

I don't know but the roads in the state are in good condition everywhere else except King County west of Lake Washington which is exactly the I-5 corridor.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:32 PM

510 posts, read 889,111 times
That stretch of hwy 101 was designed to be a bypass (even still called that). It wasn't designed to be used as access to places in Sequim. The bypass opened in 99(?). Around that same time the 'boundaries' of Sequim were different. Mid 90's the town was just barely going eastward to QFC and really only ran westward to McDonald's/Safeway. There were a few business scattered along 101 (now Washington Street) out towards River Rd. No real need for exit/on ramps on the south side of the highway, as there weren't but a few homes over there (now the Bell Hill area is teeming with homes). When Washington Street was 101 it made a brief pass through the town, only a couple of stops but the traffic got bad enough (logging trucks and commuters) that a bypass was warranted. The town was still small enough that only one exit/on was even thought needed, that was at Sequim Ave. But there were like 30K people in all of east Clallam then, now there's over 80K--most in the Dungeness Valley.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 AM

What actually is the point of your post? Do you agree or disagree that a on/off ramp on the east end of Sequim is needed now? You also over looked the large amount of new houses on both side of Sequim Bay Rd which has the potential for hundreds of new homes all the way to the water.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I don't know but the roads in the state are in good condition everywhere else except King County west of Lake Washington which is exactly the I-5 corridor.
You are 100% correct...you don't know.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:53 AM

I am 100% sure that you have never been to Seattle. That's what I know. Come to Seattle, see the mediocre roads, the terrible traffic and compare it to anywhere else in the state. You won't find worse roads.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I am 100% sure that you have never been to Seattle. That's what I know. Come to Seattle, see the mediocre roads, the terrible traffic and compare it to anywhere else in the state. You won't find worse roads.
You are 100% incorrect.

I lived in the Seattle area for 34 years and left 13 years ago when I retired from Boeing. When you are a Boeing worker you learn how to drive under any driving condition. The major problem with Seattle traffic is the lack of speed control. 75-80 is norm on the freeways and 10-20 on side roads and crowding-in at the on ramps and lane changes without signaling is a sport to some.

How to solve Seattle driving problem? Law enforcement of the traffic laws, which I think is a bad word to those who rush home after work so they can flop down on the couch and have a cold one after they kick the dog and curse the wife.

Now I suggest you visit the North Peninsula and Port Angeles. Two lane road from the floating bridge, the only direct route to the north Peninsula, (remember to call ahead for all the closures due to maritime traffic including Navy Sub traffic) all the way past Sequim and do not expect to drive the speed limit, it will not happen. While you're driving over you will see our only 'Freeway' is about two miles of two lane road that goes by Sequim. Next you will run into short section of four lane highway that ends with a two lane section that has one of the highest kill rate in the state by population. Now you will get to another four lane road (not a freeway and lot of crossing traffic) that goes around a place called Morris Creek that also has a very high kill rate. Upon entering PA you will have to drive thru town (only one road) to get to the west side of the Peninsula and the coastal areas. Take 101 around Lake Cresent for a real thrill avoiding on coming logging trucks on one of crookedest road on the Peninsula almost as bad as 101 along Hoods Canal. Another thrilling drive is highway 112 along the Straight to Neah Bay, again avoid the logging trucks if you can.

If it wasn't for the Seattle and California drivers driving on the Peninsula roads driving would actually be fun and safe.

If you want driving direction I will gladly give them to you.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
The major problem with Seattle traffic is the lack of speed control. 75-80 is norm on the freeways and 10-20 on side roads and crowding-in at the on ramps and lane changes without signaling is a sport to some.
75-80 is a very rare event in Seattle. 50-55 is more common even on an empty freeway. I agree with the second part about the on ramps and the lane changes.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
75-80 is a very rare event in Seattle. 50-55 is more common even on an empty freeway. I agree with the second part about the on ramps and the lane changes.
You are from Seattle aren't you? I would suggest you drive anytime during the day or night from Olympia to Everett on I-5 and see how many people will pass you at a high rate of speed, than you might change your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington