U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 12:03 PM

1,965 posts, read 2,662,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
Is there any state that doesn't allow elderly people to stay in their home and have the taxes taken out of the house sale proceeds after they die? I'm not sure that anyone is forced to leave their home. They might be forced to leave less money to their heirs, though, which seems fair to me. Plus many states give a property tax break to the elderly, even if they're millionaires.
If you can't pay your property taxes what happens? If you have a mortgage your lender will likely pay it and if you don't repay them they will foreclose. The government can garnish your wages and bank accounts. In high property tax areas like the Northeast, it is quite common for people to no longer be able to afford their homes once they retire; property taxes being a major factor. I'm not aware of states that have laws on the book that allow retirees to remain in their home until they die, and then subtract back taxes and fines from the sale of their estate. Not saying there are none, only that I don't know of any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 03:08 PM

484 posts, read 774,810 times
I don't have time to check for all states but I checked for WA to see that there are both property tax programs available, and they both look very generous. If age 61+ you can get property taxes frozen. If age 60+ you can get property taxes deferred and they get paid out of the house sale proceeds after death. The first program is a gift from other taxpayers. In WA it seems there is no good excuse for not being able to pay property taxes.

If an older person has a mortgage and can't pay the taxes let alone the rest of the bill, that's a different story. I'm not in favor of subsidizing anyone, unless it's completely fair to everyone if only at that age. Until we give elderly homeless people free houses we shouldn't let other elderly people keep their homes when they can't pay for them. Property taxes pay for services rendered so insufficient income isn't an excuse.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I don't have time to check for all states but I checked for WA to see that there are both property tax programs available, and they both look very generous. If age 61+ you can get property taxes frozen. If age 60+ you can get property taxes deferred and they get paid out of the house sale proceeds after death. The first program is a gift from other taxpayers. In WA it seems there is no good excuse for not being able to pay property taxes.

If an older person has a mortgage and can't pay the taxes let alone the rest of the bill, that's a different story. I'm not in favor of subsidizing anyone, unless it's completely fair to everyone if only at that age. Until we give elderly homeless people free houses we shouldn't let other elderly people keep their homes when they can't pay for them. Property taxes pay for services rendered so insufficient income isn't an excuse.
Good info. I just looked it up myself. I'd wager that this is not the norm. Sounds like I picked a good state to live, even though I don't anticipate needing any of those programs (knock on wood). We all have our own definition of what reasonable assistance is for people, and this is what I consider to be an example of smart social assistance.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:46 PM

12,824 posts, read 17,837,329 times
Well the choices of actual retirees fly in the face of that supposed study.

Retirees are leaving CA in droves, many of them landing in OR, WA, NV, ID, etc, etc.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
18,165 posts, read 33,630,849 times
Quote:
... If age 61+ you can get property taxes frozen. If age 60+ you can get property taxes deferred and they get paid out of the house sale proceeds after death. The first program is a gift from other taxpayers. In WA it seems there is no good excuse for not being able to pay property taxes.

These Programs in WA, do require a very low income thresh hold to benefit from.

Getting taxes frozen at age 61 at the rate mine increase, they will be ~ $100,000k / yr (projected property taxes when I'm 61).
While there is no excuse; there is no way a 61 yr old retiree with ZERO income and only modest retirement savings can pay that. You probably will respond IDENTICAL to my assessor "hey, just sell the place"... not so ez...

Who will buy a home with enormous taxes - No one, (or very few)

Why does a home that cost me less than $100k, be projected to cost me $100k in Taxes when I'm 61... No Excuses.

I did not build my home with the sweat and blood of my family to be FORCED to sell it. I PLANNED on LIVING in it! (remember... my property taxes when I finished building it were $800/yr...)

Yes, the Government entities in USA forces thousands from their homes. (no excuses... it just happens).

I serve as a mediator for rural elderly couples and I have a VERY long list of WA homeowners who were forced from their home / farms by WA property taxes.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
These Programs in WA, do require a very low income thresh hold to benefit from.

Getting taxes frozen at age 61 at the rate mine increase, they will be ~ $100,000k / yr (projected property taxes when I'm 61).
While there is no excuse; there is no way a 61 yr old retiree with ZERO income and only modest retirement savings can pay that. You probably will respond IDENTICAL to my assessor "hey, just sell the place"... not so ez...

Who will buy a home with enormous taxes - No one, (or very few)

Why does a home that cost me less than $100k, be projected to cost me $100k in Taxes when I'm 61... No Excuses.

I did not build my home with the sweat and blood of my family to be FORCED to sell it. I PLANNED on LIVING in it! (remember... my property taxes when I finished building it were $800/yr...)

Yes, the Government entities in USA forces thousands from their homes. (no excuses... it just happens).

I serve as a mediator for rural elderly couples and I have a VERY long list of WA homeowners who were forced from their home / farms by WA property taxes.
I looked at their program, your disposable income cannot exceed $40K/Yr.

I can't help but feel that there is a "Paul Harvey Rest of the Story" with your situation. What is it that you aren't telling us? I can find an estate selling for over $1 Mil in Medina, assessed at $788K, and a tax bill of a little over $7K (~$20 a day). And this is not unusual at all. I found a nice home in Magnolia valued at $1.1 Mil with a tax of $11.5K. What is the rest of the story concerning your property? Did they find gold on your soil after you built it? Did you buy the land under duress for a fraction of its real value? Gotta be more than meets the eye. I know that there can be changes in zoning and such that dramatically increase the value of a parcel of land. Your typical homeowner in a typical neighborhood just isn't paying a ridiculous property tax rate.

That said, I generally agree with you that property taxes can and have forced people from their homes. I also agree that nobody should be forced to leave the place they call home because their property taxes soar. I liked CA's Prop 13 because it limited how fast taxes can rise after you purchase a home. Heck, someone might buy a home and comfortably afford their payments with taxes, the housing market heats up and dramatically raises assessed values, and suddenly the person who is happy in his home and doesn't want to sell has to move because his property taxes increased 50%. Sure, he'll profit when he sells his house, but not everyone cares about that. Some people find their perfect spot and want to stay there. Which is why I believe property taxes are the most evil form of tax in existence. I'm in the Czech Republic for a couple months. Quite modern now. They pay taxes to no end over here but even they leave your home pretty much alone. Property taxes are insanely low here. They get it.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:18 AM

188 posts, read 742,470 times
Don't believe everything you read in those type of magazines, I've lived in 2 past #1 places to live in the U.S. and basically both those places have sucked and I wouldn't recommend anyone to move to both of these places.
I have a feeling that most of the criteria they used to get the good numbers doesn't have anything to do with the "Best" or "Worse" of anything.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
18,165 posts, read 33,630,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
...What is the rest of the story concerning your property? .... I'm in the Czech Republic for a couple months. Quite modern now. They pay taxes to no end over here but even they leave your home pretty much alone. Property taxes are insanely low here. They get it.

EZ... I'm rural but 20 min from urban. I am in a restricted building area NO NEW neighbors allowed, I paid $22k for my lot.

CA / investors like to do 1031s in the area on spec prop due to EZ selling for view lots.

Few investors gone wild. Neighbor lot sold for $16k, last sale was $1.6M Only speculation / ez 1031, no one can afford to build there.

So.. get about 50 props doing that and UP she blows,

No houses just DIRT, If my house burnt down tomorrow I would still owe $10k in taxes on the dirt. No gold involved, only spec land sales. (which are not reality... until you write the tax check).

There are 3 counties in this district / National area. 2 SUBTRACT value cuz you can do absolutely NOTHING with your land and are restricted in colors / windows, ...; 1 county ADDS,,, wrong choice as usual.

It's a crying shame. Neighbors in same boat, so are ANY of your friends with nice water front prop in WA

Old 05-16-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
EZ... I'm rural but 20 min from urban. I am in a restricted building area NO NEW neighbors allowed, I paid $22k for my lot.

CA / investors like to do 1031s in the area on spec prop due to EZ selling for view lots.

Few investors gone wild. Neighbor lot sold for $16k, last sale was $1.6M Only speculation / ez 1031, no one can afford to build there.

So.. get about 50 props doing that and UP she blows,

No houses just DIRT, If my house burnt down tomorrow I would still owe $10k in taxes on the dirt. No gold involved, only spec land sales. (which are not reality... until you write the tax check).

There are 3 counties in this district / National area. 2 SUBTRACT value cuz you can do absolutely NOTHING with your land and are restricted in colors / windows, ...; 1 county ADDS,,, wrong choice as usual.

It's a crying shame. Neighbors in same boat, so are ANY of your friends with nice water front prop in WA
Thanks. That explains it. That should never happen. It's why I'm a fan of CA's Prop 13. I would draw a distinction though between someone owning a property for investment, and someone occupying the property as their primary residence. Granted, you'll get a nice payday if you have to sell, but you should never be in such a position where you have to sell solely because your property taxes skyrocketed after you purchased the place.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:40 AM

5,020 posts, read 19,558,758 times
Property taxes vary quite a bit even within a state. I had a property in Florida with rates one quarter of that in Washington but also had a property in Texas at double the rate and looked at a Texas property at four times the Washington rate. Of course those in NY and NJ may find our rates a bargain.

Just one of the variables in choosing a location. But evaluate income, sales, and other taxes for your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington