Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,872 times

Advertisements

Hello - Since 2009 I've been an avid reader of the state of Washington posts and I've noticed comments here and there about the Olympia downtown and panhandlers/transients. How much of a problem is this for the local people, or is it not a problem?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 10:32 AM

541 posts, read 1,730,575 times
I'm sure some people will see it as a problem, but it has never been a bother to me when I am downtown. There are homeless people, but in the core downtown businesses. They are not aggressive either.

You will spot more hippies and activists downtown then panhandlers.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:44 AM

455 posts, read 598,284 times
Lots of bums and panhandlers and yes, it's gotten progressively worse in the last ten years. Many younger kids asking for money. I can't sit outside and have a cigarette without having at least two people asking to bum a smoke. I stopped giving them money years ago and just say "nope, only plastic". Aggressive panhandling is something I rarely run across.

Bums passed out in alleyways, on park benches, etc. Having worked downtown, I was always picking up beer cans and had to run off several of them for peeing on my building.

The problem is also rampant on the westside with many bums standing on corners with signs and have been doing so for years. I watched a local female bum standing at a Coffee stand to get a drink. After speaking with the owner she does this several times a day.

I've lived all over the US, from the South, East Coast, Midwest, and PNW and the amount of bums and panhandlers in those parts pale in comparison to Olympia, Tacoma, Seattle.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:21 AM

611 posts, read 1,204,920 times
I think the downtown is about the same for panhandlers as it was back in the late 80's. I did notice a lot of people sleeping under awnings downtown last summer when I would drive to work early in the morning, though. The westside has gotten ridicilous with panhandlers on every intersection corner. Most of them have been working these corners for several years and look pretty able bodied for working. I think the mild climate and tolerant attitude of the PNW has something to do with it. And clearly they are getting money or they would give it up.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:42 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,332 times
The city of Olympia should require a business license for solicitation. Business licenses are currently $85.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington