Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 07:45 AM
mev

154 posts, read 295,765 times

Advertisements

I read that, with the widening of the Panama canal, Tacoma has been pouring billions into making their ports accommodating for larger ships. As such, this has caused an uncomfortable alliance between rival Seattle's ports to keep the PNW viable as an off-loading point for huge, incoming cargo ships. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 01:47 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mev View Post
I read that, with the widening of the Panama canal, Tacoma has been pouring billions into making their ports accommodating for larger ships. As such, this has caused an uncomfortable alliance between rival Seattle's ports to keep the PNW viable as an off-loading point for huge, incoming cargo ships. Any thoughts?
What do mean by uncomfortable alliance?

Old 07-17-2014, 04:44 PM

Has anyone been to Point Defiance lately? Its a nice park but I think it needs a facelift. Just fixing some of he walk ways and cleaning up the exhibits. I would actually like to see the Zoo be in independent Zoo while the city puts in works to open a self standing aquarium in downtown/foss waterway in the future. The Museum area of Tacoma should be the main selling spot for tourism especially for weekend trips from families through the area.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:03 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Wish the Puyallup Tribe would just buy the Tacoma Dome and modernize it. I think considering that most of Puget Sound lives 45 minutes from there, that an NHL or NBA team there would work very well.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:36 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Wish the Puyallup Tribe would just buy the Tacoma Dome and modernize it. I think considering that most of Puget Sound lives 45 minutes from there, that an NHL or NBA team there would work very well.
The Seattle Supersonics of Tacoma.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Yeah im not sure about that. But a new arena can host a wnba team, more concerts and events. Even potentially D-1 basketball if UW-Tacoma adopts some sports programs down the line. Tacoma could get real expos rather then what they get now.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:21 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Yeah im not sure about that. But a new arena can host a wnba team, more concerts and events. Even potentially D-1 basketball if UW-Tacoma adopts some sports programs down the line. Tacoma could get real expos rather then what they get now.
Well regardless, it does need a paint job, it's a big time eyesore.
The Tacoma Stars back in the day were very successful (by Indoor Soccer standards) and the Sonics drew about 16500 on average when they played there in 94-95.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:56 PM
mev

154 posts, read 295,765 times
The port districts in Seattle and Tacoma are rivals.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:38 AM

5 posts, read 5,008 times
Unhappy tired , waiting on tacoma to wake up

i left tacoma way back in 1978 because it had the worse looking down town i had ever seen but i had hopes that one day tacoma would have a downtown just as vibrint as seattle but on a smaller scale . now dont get me wrong ive always loved tacoma and i always find my self sticking up for it, but now after all these years have gone by and ive seen downtown seattle transformed greatly , theres tons of new highrises and its also exspanded it self towards lake union now as far as tacoma goes its downtown has changed alot for the better but its skyline hasnt in years and its downtown is still full of empty rundown lots and buildings on the south side and there is no retail core what so ever, no movie theaters complexes and its a ghost town with not much of anything to draw folks to it. what tacoma needs is afew more taller buildings , dept stores and there needs to be taller buildings near i-5 so ever one driving down i-5 would notice downtown. the tacoma dome needs to be repainted and tacoma could use a tower of some sort one that people could,nt go into but would stand out and that would be lit up at night also tacoma needs a center like seattle center downtown. tacomas city leaders through the years really have not tried hard enough to turn tacoma around and if they did tacoma would be looking a hell alot better then it does right now.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:26 AM

765 posts, read 899,030 times
I don't think Tacoma needs any of that. It is a very unique city with a unique culture and I hope it is never sterilized like the way you are saying. It's skyline could be larger, but your wish is in luck, for 2 new ones are being built right next to the convention center downtown! They aren't very tall, I think the tallest one maxes at 300 feet or so. But they are new, and shiny and I think will draw more people to some extent. But as for department stores, and movie theatres, nah. I mean, I wouldn't be hurt if they were put downtown. But after recently living in Denver for a few months,, I've noticed how much I despise gentrification and sterilization. There is very little culture or uniqueness and whats left of the old Denver is very small and will probably be destroyed (gentrified) in the next 10 years. I think on some scale gentrification is important but not this ridiculous amount that they are doing in "up and coming" cities. And actually, Tacoma is not dead. Go any day and I will guarantee you that there will be people waling around in the Museum district, by UW, as well as the stadium district. The rest is hit or miss. Sometimes there are bucket loads of people walking around everywhere, and sometimes it's quiet. Regardless I think it's a wonderful place with such a beautiful, artistic, bohemian culture. Why sterilize it?
My two cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington