Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 05:02 PM

89 posts, read 280,582 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family and I currently live in FL and are originally from NY. Needless to say like many NY'ers we came to FL looking for good housing prices and quality of life. Yes FL does offer you quality of life as far as activities goes, but that is it. The schools stink, everything is way over priced including housing. We are now selling our home and are wondering about relocating. We have thought of several differnet places, one of those places is Seattle, WA. We have also thought of going back home to NY. The problem is will we afford a 500K plus house now?

I am a school teacher and my husband is a contractor.

Here is my biggest question; My family and I are middle class Hispanics, and have not visited many states in the US except several on the east coast and California. We have learned that there are places that are unacceptable of Latins and that is a fear for me. For example we visited NC and were told that latins are treated like immigrants in that state, this was told to us from a realtor. He told us that culture wasn't well known in North Carolina and that everyone of latin decent were considered immigrants there. He also told us that our children might face racial issues in school. As you can all imagine I was frightened, and we didn't make that choice. What is Washington like in this aspect?

Jessica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 07:53 PM

454 posts, read 905,333 times
We have a heavy mix of Asian, Mexican, European, Indian, Native American, Canadian... In other words, lots of everything. You should not get a general negative feeling here, but there are jerks everywhere.

If you can't afford a $500K house in NY you need to carefully consider whether you can afford our home prices. Central to Seattle area housing prices are in that range.

If you are willing to go outside the Seattle/"eastside" area (Bellevue, Mercer Island, Kirkland, Redmond, Bothell, Woodinville) you can get homes around $400K, lower the farther out you go, but then traffic becomes an issue if you are working in Seattle/Eastside areas.

Good luck

The dufferz

Old 10-13-2006, 12:12 AM

11 posts, read 47,890 times
Default Washington is a state!

We have a diverce population and with that as in all places there are good and bad. I live about 40 mins from Seattle and I have 22 acres and a 2500 sq ft house with a 4300 sq ft shop. Two years ago we paid $600,000. It is a matter of how close you need to be to seattle. There is a great need for teachers in the smaller outlying cities. Also as long as you are on the I5 corridoor you she be fine as to contactor work. Good Luck and I hope you come to love washington as much as I have.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:22 AM

7 posts, read 23,855 times
I reside in Yakima, where there is a 33% Hispanic population. The nearby towns of Wapato and Topp-en-ish are around 75% Hispanic. This is all right here on city-data.com's statistics pages. This area is known for having a very strong Latino population due to the agricultural industries. Not all Latino's are apple pickers, of course, there is a continually growing population of highly educated professionals within the Hispanic community, too. Many Mexican farm workers have gone to the Yakama Indian Nation's Heritage University and now own their own agricultural production and other businesses.

Yakima is very dry, with less than 7" of rainfall per year and 300 days of sunshine. They call it the "Palm Springs of Washington", ok well I call it (something else) but generally it's a decent place. The rolling hills surrounding the city are covered with sage brush and dry brown grass with some hills checkerboarded with fruit tree orchards. We have a comprehensive regional irrigation network here, in fact the canal I'm on is paid for entirely by property taxes for unmetered unlimited irrigation water (some canals charge dues or meter your irrigation water and bill you like city water). Our yard is as green as grass can get, and we don't ever run up our water bill to get it that way. Just turn on the irrigation pump and watch the underground sprinklers do their thing (U/G sprinklers are sort of a necessity here).

You can still get a very nice house for **well under $200k** here in Yakima, including brand new houses, including those in the nicer neighborhoods. The $500k you'd spend on a shoebox in New York would actually get you something that borders on extravagent in Yakima, and in our most "elite" neighborhoods (like we have those?). The more modest income neighborhoods here have super-affordable houses for $60k to 90K, too.

Do you like wine? This is one of the nation's top wine growing regions. Do you like beer? Most of America's supply of hops and 20% of the world's supply of hops is grown right here, too. I hope you like the smell of hops, because it fills the valley at harvest time. I learned to like it.

We have the Valley Mall, and we have the downtown mall coming back after some big time remodels. We have one Wal-Mart and it looks like another will be going in soon. There are restaurants to feed your every fancy (well I haven't found anywhere that has borscht so if you have your heart set on Russian cousine just drive 2-1/2 hours to Seattle).

OH YEAH there is a new Medical School about to be built just down the hill from us, too.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:21 AM

89 posts, read 280,582 times
Thank you all for the helpful replies. How is the crime in Washington?

Old 10-13-2006, 10:39 AM

23 posts, read 117,838 times
property crime is through the roof (stolen cars especially) but violent crime is low.

example:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Tukwila-Washington.html

1241.9 makes it 7th in crime in the US. Mostly property related though

Old 10-28-2007, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,947 times
Man you would love it here. THere are so many people here. Everyone is very acceptable. There are all kinds of people. The weather is great and if you live near Seattle we don't get real harsh winters and really nice summers. There are a lot of things to do and see. Just expect more rain than your used to. But living around it is not as difficult. It's not so bad.

quote=sunsky778;123462]Hi, my family and I currently live in FL and are originally from NY. Needless to say like many NY'ers we came to FL looking for good housing prices and quality of life. Yes FL does offer you quality of life as far as activities goes, but that is it. The schools stink, everything is way over priced including housing. We are now selling our home and are wondering about relocating. We have thought of several differnet places, one of those places is Seattle, WA. We have also thought of going back home to NY. The problem is will we afford a 500K plus house now?

I am a school teacher and my husband is a contractor.

Here is my biggest question; My family and I are middle class Hispanics, and have not visited many states in the US except several on the east coast and California. We have learned that there are places that are unacceptable of Latins and that is a fear for me. For example we visited NC and were told that latins are treated like immigrants in that state, this was told to us from a realtor. He told us that culture wasn't well known in North Carolina and that everyone of latin decent were considered immigrants there. He also told us that our children might face racial issues in school. As you can all imagine I was frightened, and we didn't make that choice. What is Washington like in this aspect?

Jessica[/quote]

Old 11-06-2007, 12:53 AM

255 posts, read 1,195,594 times
I have to put in my plug for western Washington. Here in the Skagit Valley, it is very lush and green. Mount Vernon has a 25% Hispanic population. Many job postings are asking for bilingual English/Spanish ability. There was an article in the newspaper over the weekend about an elementary school class here in Mount Vernon who were learning about the Day of the Dead so as to better understand the culture of their classmates. Great idea! I suspect there would be few racial difficulties at school.

My next door neighbors are Hispanic and the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. There is huge acceptance of Hispanic folks and Hispanic culture. Many of the local Hispanic community work in the fields in agriculture but there are also quite a number who are in responsible city jobs. There are specialized Hispanic food stores and markets, meat market etc. in town so that familiar foods are readily available.

You wouldn't have to pay $500,000 for a house in this area if you didn't want to. Great homes are selling around $225,000/$235,000. It seems a lot to someone from the mid-west but not when you're from Florida.

Anyway, hope this gives you a little bit more information and helps in your decision making. All the best.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:48 PM

86 posts, read 403,017 times
We are a mixed (Latina/Caucasian) family. We lived in WA few years ago. We are hoping to return because we want to give our daughter a place to live where she wouldn't have to deal with a lot of racism. So far WA has been the place where I felt welcomed.
I am a Puerto Rican with a strong accent so I understand what you mean by being treated as an immigrant. I have to deal with the negative views of people on immigrants. Somehow the word "immigrant" has turn into "illegal immigrant" for many folks and thus we are all treated the same way. You will find that in Washington you won't experience as much negative expressions as you would in other places.
I love it there and I hope I can return.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:38 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,137,763 times
I find the area where I live (Olympia) to be very inclusive. We have a large population of Asians, Russians and Latinos. My immediate family in Olympia is a multi-culti mix of black and white, Panamanian, Mexican and German. I've not encountered discrimination or hostility and feel quite comfortable and at home here.

Sandy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington