Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 11:00 PM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I realize there are a lot of high tech companies in Seattle and the surrounding suburbs like Redmond, but I was wondering if other areas of Washington are also attracting tech companies? Olympia, Tacoma, Spokane and other areas. Is Seattle still the main draw or are the tech companies branching out from there?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 12:14 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,028,196 times
Quincy in Grant County has multiple data centers not only for Microsoft but for Yahoo, Dell, etc.

click here for article in the New York Times

Who knows what that area will hold for the future.

I'm not sure about the job or housing situation there, however, if that's what you're asking.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:55 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
Quincy in Grant County has multiple data centers not only for Microsoft but for Yahoo, Dell, etc.

I'm not sure about the job or housing situation there, however, if that's what you're asking.
All around the country you will find major data centers were there is cheap reliable electricity and tax breaks. They are not necessarily tech centers, just server farms.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:08 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
The high tech center of Washington state is Tri-Cities.

They have the highest income level, plus lots of high tech business startups. Also the best educated workforce in Washington state.

My definition of high tech is science based, not computer science based business. If you want computer science stuff most of that is in the Puget Sound area.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:33 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,028,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
All around the country you will find major data centers were there is cheap reliable electricity and tax breaks. They are not necessarily tech centers, just server farms.
That is true. Although I heard that other operations could be moving to Grant County eventually. Sorry for posting that.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:14 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post

Back when I lived in Spokane in 2009, I went to the Yahoo place in Quincy several times, and to a place Intuit has out there. There's also a data center east of East Wenatchee, I believe it is owned by T-Mobile now.

Quincy is a small, mostly Latino agricultural town, but IIRC there was at least one new housing tract built in town. It is hot as blazes in the summer, but you can get yummy deep fried burritos from one of the gas stations there.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:39 PM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Default Hi!

Thanks for the replies, I should clarify that I am thinking of the computer world... my husband is a software engineer and wondering if the industry relating to that type of high tech can be found in other areas besides Seattle.
How is the job market for instance in Olympia for software developers?

We wouldn't mind Seattle AT ALL! But, we'd consider smaller areas as well if we were ever to get serious about pursuing a move to the PNW.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Camas has plenty of High tech, and you can go to Portland, OR in 10 minutes for airport or sales tax free shopping.

I have several friends doing CS work from home or in one of several high tech joints nearby. (Don't get a job in OREGON or you will pay 9% income tax, even while living in WA).

Columbia Gorge National Scenic area, Mt Hood, Mt St Helens, and OR coast all within 1 hr.

10 minutes to Gorge and PDX make living here tolerable. I take 'sun-breaks' to San Diego for $28 on Spirit Airlines. In winter, you can jet down in the AM and be home by midnight (with a tan )

In Seattle you can get across the floating bridge in an hour (maybe)... average commute time in Camas is about 5 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington