Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,041 times

Advertisements

We just bought a 10 acre farm a mile outside of Shelton, Wa. I need help with what to buy for my sons as far as school clothes. They are 8 and 16, and am sure their current wardrobe of shorts, sneakers and cotton T's aren't gonna be warm enough. I know layering is a must. I am a Cali girl, born and raised. Never even been in falling snow! What an adventure this will be Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 12:22 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
Rainproof shell, fleece jackets, long pants. They can wear fleece or a hoody over their t-shirts. The rainproof shell is just a thin waterproof or water resistant jacket. And since you're on a farm some good mud boots would be good.

(Fleece is better than a hoody because they're water resistant. Hoodies soak up rain.)

Old 07-12-2013, 02:28 PM

301 posts, read 519,339 times
We relocated to Kitsap (just north of Shelton) from Redding a few years ago and I have a 15 year old son, so I can relate. The good news is that you won't have to change up most of the wardrobe your kids have now.

My son's wardrobe 99% of the time:
  • T-shirts, mostly short sleeve but a couple are long sleeve, all solid colors
  • longer athletic shorts--not as long as basketball shorts, but longer than running shorts
  • blue jeans (mostly Lee Premium relaxed fit--kids here aren't into brands)
  • hooded sweatshirts, both pullover and zip
  • Nike running shoes
sean98125 has a good point--your kids will need boots for mud. I try to get my son to wear a rain jacket but he prefers his hoodies, go figure. Hope your kids are wiser than mine!

For snow items, don't feel like you have to go high-end for the few days of snow we get.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:37 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosin View Post
For snow items, don't feel like you have to go high-end for the few days of snow we get.
Agreed. Unless you are taking a trip way up into the Olympics or over to the Cascades, you will almost never see any "real" snow. An inch of white slush that melts in two hours isn't real snow. In other words, be ready for mud and moisture - not cold, snowy conditions in Shelton.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:45 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,214,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosin View Post

blue jeans (mostly Lee Premium relaxed fit--kids here aren't into brands)

Nike running shoes
Does the lack of brand affiliation end at the ankle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: