Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,201 times

Advertisements

I moved to Vancouver Washington a year and a half ago from Ohio. Love the non extremes of temperature. 6 months ago I moved to Aberdeen. It is a depressed area like much of western Washington but has decent medical facilities and shopping and restaurants, with big city amenities 45 minutes away. The ocean is a half hour or so away in the other direction. I have a decent retirement income and this area serves me well but I don't think I'd want to look for work here. It is not pretty here but pretty is nearby.

I've had no issues with breakins or any crimes either here or in Vancouver. Forks is literally in the middle of nowhere, except for the fishing and isolation (which is available elsewhere), I can't think of one good reason to move there. After exploring the west end of the state for the last few months, I'll be looking to move to SW Washington in October. The small town atmosphere of Chinook and other Long beach communities and the proximity to the coast and Astoria is very enticing to me. Just hoping for no Tsunamis for a few more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 04:12 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,394,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmarc View Post
I'll be looking to move to SW Washington in October. The small town atmosphere of Chinook and other Long beach communities and the proximity to the coast and Astoria is very enticing to me. Just hoping for no Tsunamis for a few more years.
Well there's no guarantee of when,but I do hear if there's a big one 'the coast is toast';

Old 02-29-2016, 01:25 AM

268 posts, read 364,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
One mountain that was high up I thought was Mt.Olympus - a good look at a large map of the Olympic Penisula revealed that the mountain I was looking at was really Mt.Carrie. What a beautiful part of the world to spend time in. I'll never forget its beauty.
I was most likely responsible for getting you to look at a 3D map more closely. The peaks of Mount Olympus, Washington are not visible from Hurricane Ridge no matter how many incorrect URLs are cited.

I know of six ways to try to see the peaks of Mount Olympus, Washington, *weather permitting* :

1) From the Pacific Ocean

2) In the Wynoochee Valley on either public or private land. ("13 corners" is now paved, but there is no shoulder on "4 corners", so park on timber land to see it.)

3) On US 101 heading North into Neilton, Washington just by the "Burn Road" and "Entering Neilton" signs. That view is partially obscured by trees which will grow taller.

4) On poorly maintained logging roads such as Prairie Creek Road and others, but that is not recommended for casual tourists (meaning bring a chainsaw and a long gun with you, and if you die, then you died in a pretty place)

5) Climb some other mountain and look at it

6) Climb it!

/* Yes this is off topic, but that helps maintain the elusiveness of Mount Olympus. */

Old 02-29-2016, 01:38 AM

Quote:
6 months ago I moved to Aberdeen. It is a depressed area like much of western Washington but has decent medical facilities
While I hope that you are not dead, you are dead wrong about "decent medical facilities" in Aberdeen. There is a 4 month waiting list for a colonoscopy at Tom Jensen's medical trap there. Dr. Harmon can scope you up much faster in Forks.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,201 times
You may be correct Olympian but so far with the few medical encounters I've had here, I'm OK with it. My last colonoscopy was in Vancouver, that was almost a 2 month wait.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
You may be correct Olympian but so far with the few medical encounters I've had here, I'm OK with it. My last colonoscopy was in Vancouver, that was almost a 2 month wait.
I have documents and scars evidencing that Doc Holliday would have provided me better medical care that the whatever that washed up in Grays Harbor County in the last decade. I'm both pleased and perplexed that you are satisfied with your encounters with "providers" in GHC.

While this is a topic about Forks, there is some history of medical care relating the two (along with Port Angeles I'd guess.) That's timber country and logging booms happen. Aberdeen and Hoquiam both needed and attracted good doctors in the past. (And there is good hospital infrastructure there.) But the good doctors that the last logging boom attracted are disappearing-to-gone. The new provider folks Forks has attracted know what they're getting themselves into. The provider folks in Aberdeen / Hoquiam are being deceived and don't appreciate the consequences of their choices and leave when either they or their contract expires.

Jokery aside, that info about a 2 month wait for a colonoscopy in Vancouver is helpful in my studies of Truth. Ponder the "free" colonoscopies now bestowed upon us. Scoping via rectal route is a basic, inherent human right which was negligently not noted in the Constitution of the United States of America. When those colonoscopies were oppressed with monetary negativity, they were easily obtained. Now I understand the colonoscopy backlogs, and the situation may be just as bad or worse in Forks. (If they find so little as a benign polyp, one's basic, inherent human right to "free stuff from society probing your anus" ends, and one will start receiving medical bills.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington