Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 11:13 AM

302 posts, read 498,464 times

Advertisements

Decided to start another thread to get rid of the Forks idea.

Not sure if anyone can answer this or not.

I currently have an SDiT (Service Dog in Training). By the time we move, he will be a full SD (Service Dog) or as Washington law says Hearing Guide Dog. Weird working since he won't be "guiding" me at all, just alerting me to specific sounds. I am total deaf. I don't hear a thing at all. He will be there to alert me to my name being called or to other sounds, but not all. He will be wearing an orange vest for 2 reasons. First is, orange is the most noticed for a hearing dog and second, due to the hunting in the area, orange will be for safety. He is an American Bulldog/Labrador mix.

I have researched and all I can see is that the BSL (Breed Specific Laws) for WA are based by county and in Clallam (did I spell it right) has no BSL currently. Most counties have BSL's for Pit Bulls or Pit Bull Terriers.

I will have an ID card made with his breed, name and shot records on it. I currently have one for here in Florida. The card also includes the vet's information as well. Have to see if the vet there offers this or if I have to stick with the microchip company's ID card system.

Does anyone know if I will encounter any problems having this breed of dog or having a service dog? I know the Federal ADA laws protect fully trained Service Dogs and Washington State ADA laws also protect fully trained service dogs, but there are still issues all over. I hope to not run into clueless people. Businesses I can handle and I don't mind helping to educate the public as well, but I hope we do not run into open and total hostility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 02:17 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,835,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbjbb View Post
Does anyone know if I will encounter any problems having this breed of dog or having a service dog? I know the Federal ADA laws protect fully trained Service Dogs and Washington State ADA laws also protect fully trained service dogs, but there are still issues all over. I hope to not run into clueless people. Businesses I can handle and I don't mind helping to educate the public as well, but I hope we do not run into open and total hostility.
I can't speak for that county... But people here aren't confrontational at all and they're sooo PC. If anything, they shy away from that. So open, total hostility isn't a worry. At most, you might get looks. I have Deaf friends who have service dogs and never have a problem generally. Actually they did get some comments from business in which they then call some Gov't dept who would then reprimand the business.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I can't speak for that county... But people here aren't confrontational at all and they're sooo PC. If anything, they shy away from that. So open, total hostility isn't a worry. At most, you might get looks. I have Deaf friends who have service dogs and never have a problem generally. Actually they did get some comments from business in which they then call some Gov't dept who would then reprimand the business.
Thanks - I will just plan on having my little cards with the ADA law and the DOJ phone number on them.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:43 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,517,173 times
It is against the law for a business to even ask you what your disability is. You legally can take your service dog anywhere with you. I used to train service dogs, so I know the laws pretty well. When I was doing that, I only once had a business ask me to leave....and the puppies in training weren't even covered under the ADA laws.

An American Bulldog is not at all the same as one of the breeds usually classified as a "pit bull." And I don't think we have any breed specific legislation in this state (I could be wrong, but I feel like most of us would know about that if we did). If any county had it, it would likely be King County (and we don't). The biggest issue I think you would have with your dog is that I'm guessing he is BIG. American Bulldogs are HUGE DOGS, and labs aren't small either. So some places may be awkward for you with a large dog, but I can't imagine anyone giving you grief over a dog that is clearly helping you. If you were carrying a chihuahua around in a purse, on the other hand, you would likely get the side-eye.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
It is against the law for a business to even ask you what your disability is. You legally can take your service dog anywhere with you. I used to train service dogs, so I know the laws pretty well. When I was doing that, I only once had a business ask me to leave....and the puppies in training weren't even covered under the ADA laws.

An American Bulldog is not at all the same as one of the breeds usually classified as a "pit bull." And I don't think we have any breed specific legislation in this state (I could be wrong, but I feel like most of us would know about that if we did). If any county had it, it would likely be King County (and we don't). The biggest issue I think you would have with your dog is that I'm guessing he is BIG. American Bulldogs are HUGE DOGS, and labs aren't small either. So some places may be awkward for you with a large dog, but I can't imagine anyone giving you grief over a dog that is clearly helping you. If you were carrying a chihuahua around in a purse, on the other hand, you would likely get the side-eye.
Deacon stands about 24 inches from ground to shoulder, has a girth of about 31 inches and is about 65-68 pounds. He is smaller than a friend's labs and another friend's German Shepherd.

Now - it's Sequim in the running for us-100_1741.jpg

Old 07-26-2013, 08:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,308 posts, read 80,617,609 times
There has been a lot of push-back from people that fake service dogs or don't have documentation, so do keep it with you but for your situation you are not likely to have a problem. People that appear to be without any kind of challenge and have an expensive designer dog in the purse and claim it's a therapy dog (which help others, not the owner) try to take them into stores and restaurants and pass them off as real service dogs.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:25 PM

412 posts, read 1,151,057 times
Best to have documentation in case they ask if they bring a service dog in any business of a type. I've seen fake service dogs time to time, not cool.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:33 AM

Do know that problem has been going around. Will be having a certain vest made for the cooler temps there that has pockets and such to hold these cards and such. Will also be carrying an ID card with shot records and vet info (even if I make it myself) and will bring along the business card for the trainer I am currently using, until I have to get a new dog.

I do know that the Federal ADA laws do not protect SDiT, but Florida ADA law does and he's training here. WA law does not, so we will complete his training before I get there. I do know the 2 questions that can be asked and I do understand that some businesses or places will asked about vaccinations (zoo and places like that). I understand the need for that, so I would be prepared.

Now, other question about Sequim. My daughter read the Chamber of Commerce website and with her comprehension and learning issues, she didn't understand much. She wants to know what there is for young adults or teenagers to do. She will be 24-25 when we get there and is more like a teenager in her thinking and such. Money would be tight, I think, so I'm just trying to find ways to make it more pleasant for her. She doesn't mind moving, but she does not do well with change.

She loves to ride her bike and we will have to get her a new one. Any specific kind we need to think on. She does have balance issues and is known for falling, so I don't want a terribly expensive bike. She loves to walk. She's always loved horses, but has become fearful of them. I have a friend working on that to help her over the fear. She totally loves dogs and would love to volunteer at a dog shelter or something (no-kill). She is very tall (6'4") and that creates a problem in some areas.

Any ideas would be great.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,308 posts, read 80,617,609 times
Because for the high percentage of retirees, youth activities are a bit more limited, but most are related to the outdoors and animals. She can do volunteer work with the county park department, as my parents still do at over 80. They are mostly preparing meals for the workers now but they do such things as painting benches, clearing weeds from trails, and filling trail potholes. There is also a lot of volunteer opportunities at the Clallam County Fair, and active 4H club. Besides the rural dirt trails there is a wonderful trail through Sequim for bike riding, paved in the residential areas.

Sequim West, Olympic Discovery Trail ODT

Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,258,589 times
Just as an FYI, the Sequim game farm/petting zoo (sorry, I forgot the official name) is right near that area. It is a well-run zoo-like ranch with things like bison and elk. May be a good place for your daughter to try to volunteer if she likes animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington