Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 04:59 PM

31 posts, read 72,344 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

we are currently leaning towards a summer vacation home somewhere in washington... any of the islands are game.

I love the stats for orcas island... large peak for hiking/trail running/mtb... big enough that there should be some decent activities for the kids... ?? any other ideas?

kids are 4 and 6. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 07:56 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Agree on Orcas Island, if you can afford it. Moran State Park has a supervised swimming area, as well as hiking. Just allow lots of extra time for lining up at the ferry, and try to avoid ferry travel on weekends, when the big tourist crushes are.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:43 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Orcas is great. And pretty expensive. Whidbey is awfully nice too, especially around Langley and Coupeville.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:33 PM

31 posts, read 72,344 times
thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them!

Old 08-21-2013, 04:08 PM

46 posts, read 131,148 times
While the San Juan's are great, I think having a summer home there would be very limiting over time, ESP as kids get older. You have to rely on the ferry for everything and it can get expensive. island living can get constraining, even for vacation if you will do it year after year.

I think Whidbey would be a better option and better positioned to get to a variety of locales such Olympic peninsula, Anacortes, and Seattle. There are lots of lovely little towns, great beaches, and it still has the laid back island life feel without the tiny island space.
I'm partial to Whidbey myself and would love to retire there some day....

Old 08-21-2013, 11:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader33 View Post
While the San Juan's are great, I think having a summer home there would be very limiting over time, ESP as kids get older. You have to rely on the ferry for everything and it can get expensive. island living can get constraining, even for vacation if you will do it year after year.

I think Whidbey would be a better option and better positioned to get to a variety of locales such Olympic peninsula, Anacortes, and Seattle. There are lots of lovely little towns, great beaches, and it still has the laid back island life feel without the tiny island space.
I'm partial to Whidbey myself and would love to retire there some day....
Not necessarily... The OP might have a Float Plane (very helpful as a previous Island dweller myself (BC 'Gulf Islands)).

There is something very special about Island life (our kids were 5 and 7 at the time, and had a tribe of 'buddies' on the Island the same age... or.... it would have been VERY boring / less adventerous).

Parents are REALLY spoilers for adventure... the 3 oldest got so they could all pull the starter rope on the old fashioned Boston Whaler, and off the tribe would go to a distant Island (7 boys ages 5-7) They had a BLAST. (Also had a 'hockey barn' with wood floor for Roller Blade ACTION during Stanley Cup). Each day they would bring home a bucket of Crab they caught off the docks, some we would toss back, and others we ate!. They got to watch the young eagles learn to fly, and then Lunch on the baby ducklings (went from 17 to 3 ducklings REAL fast). They were always off on some adventure, but again... they had 5 friends that were inseperable and parents that realized the value of 'exploring' including the RISK of water, cliffs, ferries, boats, wildlife (cougars)... we secretly left them on a small island and let the boat drift away, I stayed hidden on the island to see how they would react. Very interesting... No tears, only joy and scheming as they tried to capture a sea gull to eat, and set out to build a fire and shelter. They were very disappointed when the parents came back near dark to fetch them.

It was one of our many special times as a family that homeschooled, traveled, and lived many places VERY cheap ($300/ month on the island - off season sailing camp).

To BUY a family place and create a heritage... the islands would be fine if wealthy and with LOTS of time and commitment for the LENGTHY / EXPENSIVE trips to cabin (I would choose San Juan). There are MANY more affordable and equally fun options.

All based on freedom / FREE time / and money. Kids are only responsive to TIME and PLAY. Make it BEST for them, and their priorities (now and later). Sitting in Ferry line and HURRYING vacation, IS NOT on their most favorite thing to-do list.

Float Plane ? That can be really fun, especially if you have a Beaver! (or Otter). Spare no expense.
If you need a float plane... Keep $$ local (Sandpoint, ID) and buy a Quest Kodiak!
Quest Aircraft | Creators of the KODIAK

https://www.google.com/search?q=otte...OePs2wXv4oGAAg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington