U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 02:17 PM

7 posts, read 83,116 times

Advertisements

I have the opportunity to move to Olympia, Wa this December. I will be driving from Richmond, Va and wanted not only advice on the best way to travel this close to winter, but also what is life like in Oly. Like for example, are you able to walk to downtown from the westside easily? What is a day in Olympia like? And are there any photos that you guys would be willing to share? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 02:42 PM

485 posts, read 705,036 times
We drove across country and took I-80 to Utah, then jumped on I-84 up to I-5. You can take I-90 to save some time, but it has longer stretches of nothingness then 80 does.

You can walk from the west side to downtown, but that is a really steep hill. Seriously.

A day in Olympia? That's a tough one. In my opinion, Olympia is mostly a quiet town with some traffic here and there certain times of the day. Plenty of great choices for coffee, organic foods, nice farmers market a few months out of the year, a somewhat charming downtown and historical district, a good hippie vibe, teen angst, and stuffy government types all rolled up together. The beauty of Olympia is you can step into one of the many downtown cafe's and see them all in there at the same time. I personally never felt any kind of class distinction as I roamed the downtown core. It was always neat to me how everyone just mixed together. But my perspective may be unique.

Pictures you say? Try this thread for starters: Fall in downtown Olympia

-Mike

Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 AM

Thank you so much, I appreciate the way you layed out the directions, as well as painting a picture of Olympia, from your perspective.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:15 AM

624 posts, read 1,385,128 times
Just in case you were not aware.. this is off our beloved City Data site. Pictures are included.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Olympia-Washington.html

My two times ever in Olympia, I loved it. The last time I was there in early Nov. 2011, the occupy movement was on with sit in's and demonstrations going on.. was still orderly, peaceful. I love the vibe there, but beware.. that is one of the cloudiest, most rainy cities of it's size in the US.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,079,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRYN654 View Post
I have the opportunity to move to Olympia, Wa this December. I will be driving from Richmond, Va and wanted not only advice on the best way to travel this close to winter, but also what is life like in Oly. Like for example, are you able to walk to downtown from the westside easily? What is a day in Olympia like? And are there any photos that you guys would be willing to share? Thank you!
Walking to downtown from the westside isn't difficult. I'd say it is about a 15 minute walk down the hill, across the bridge and then a few blocks to downtown.
A typical day when you get there in December will likely be cloudy, rainy and in the 40s, unless you are very lucky, then you might see the hulking mass of Mt Rainier on the horizon above the downtown as you walk down the hill on a clear day. Being the capital city, there is quite a mix of people around, from government workers to the hippy dippy types from The Evergreen State College, to a much too large number of homeless. The downtown is usually bustling with activity though with lots of cafes and other restaurants and a variety of shops.
If you are traveling over the mountains, and I don't know any other way to get here from Virginia, I hope you have good tires. You'll need them in the snowy passes.

Last edited by kanhawk; 08-29-2013 at 06:33 PM..

Old 08-30-2013, 12:55 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,012,595 times
There is a bus at least every 15 minutes between Westside and downtown. It is one of the few practical transit corridors in the area. Because of the college, there are extended hours during the normal school sessions.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:08 AM

Thank you so much for the replies. I have yet another question though, I also am able to move to Edmonds, Wa. I recently found out that I also have an offer for a job in Seattle. What do you guys know about Edmonds? What are some other good places to live near Seattle? And would you recommend Edmonds over Olympia?

Old 09-03-2013, 10:51 AM

A lot more opportunity in Edmonds for employment, single folks. If you are already financially comfortable with a family and want to slow down, then Olympia.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:38 PM

Thank you Andy! I am a 22 year old married college student, and I am looking for somewhere that is easy to walk around/has a good transit system. What are the differences between Edmonds and Olympia?

Old 09-03-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRYN654 View Post
Thank you Andy! I am a 22 year old married college student, and I am looking for somewhere that is easy to walk around/has a good transit system. What are the differences between Edmonds and Olympia?
The biggest difference is that Edmonds is located near Seattle, where there are better jobs, more going on, etc. Olympia is more of its own thing, less job opportunity, less going on, etc. Olympia is more suburban, outdoorsy than Edmonds.

The best place to live with transit, walking around is Seattle. If you have a place to stay in Edmonds, it would give a good starting base for Seattle. I'd look into some of the NW Seattle neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington