Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:57 AM

3 posts, read 3,790 times

Advertisements

Good morning everybody, my daughter is planning to go to Western Washington University and I would like to ask a few questions and hope I can get good feedback.

1-how bad is the crime rate overall in Bellingham?

2-We are looking to rent a one bedroom house/duplex or guest house for her that accept pets (1 dog) what will be the average price for a small place with a small yard for the dog in a decent area or close to WWU?

3-which are the known bad neighborhoods in Bellingham?

4-is the cost of living as higher than Tucson, Az?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:26 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,337 times
Well I can answer your first and third question, but not the second and fourth since I've never rented in bellingham and have never been to Tucson. Keep in mind I grew up in south Florida so my definition of crime and bad areas may be a little different than others who are from Washington, specifically bham. So here it goes:

1. Crime is not bad at all in bellingham. Most people don't even lock their doors around here. Supposedly property crime is high, but I've only had one incident and that was when I DID leave my car door unlocked over night. As an adult male I would walk anywhere in Bellingham day or night without worry. For a girl there are areas I wouldn't think that's a great idea. There have been maybe 5 or 6 murders since I moved here 12 years ago. Definitely no more than 10 and they are always something sketchy involving sketchy people. There are gangs around but most are wannabes. There might be more crime around the college just because drink kids do stupid stuff. Same with downtown.

2. Bad neighborhoods. I wouldn't say there are any neighborhoods where I would be afraid to live in, but for a girl living by herself I'd say avoid northwest ave over by albertsons and avoid the Texas street area. It's hard to even pick out bad neighborhoods in bellingham. Someone with a born and raised here perspective might have better insight because I'm biased from where I came from.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:14 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Back when I lived there car prowls were a problem in areas around campus, which is fairly common at any university. The "bad" neighborhood was referred to as the "Letter Ghetto" where all of the streets have letters instead of names or numbers. That was over a decade ago, so things may have changed. In general, the areas with newer, nicer more dense off campus apartments were a little less sketchy than the ones that consisted of older homes chopped up into cheap apartments.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:14 AM

335 posts, read 421,588 times
Renting with pets will likely be a challenge if you're on a budget. Avoid Texas St. It's not really dangerous, but it is easily the least desirable neighborhood. I rented a 1 BR apt on Lakeway Dr for $600/mo a few years ago. It's probably $700 now. They allowed pets with deposit. There was a nearby shuttle to get to WWU.

Violent crime is pretty low. Bellingham has property crime. Bike thefts, car prowls, etc.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:45 AM

291 posts, read 948,389 times
Default Cost of living

I found this site to answer your cost of living question.

Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

Hope this helps.

I have been to Bham a few times during the day and liked it a lot. Just from a visitor's standpoint. Very upbeat vibes. Small town with a big town feel to it. I hope your daughter likes it there and is successful in school.

Peace,
wc@h

Old 09-14-2013, 07:57 AM

Thank you very much for your responses, before all I was able to find was information that was kind of old, 6 or more years old, and negative about Bham, although most of it was thru people trying to find jobs or purchasing homes so I was getting really worried, specially us being in Tucson and her going to a so far away college on her own.
Seems that rent is quite high compare to Tucson, then again there are 1 bd apt here that are even higher but they are luxury apt with many amenities and fairly large and comfortable, and one of the things I have found is that Bham has many amenities as parks, beach, hiking trails, etc.
Thanks again all information is greatly appreciated!

Old 09-14-2013, 07:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Anywhere in Western WA or the west coast is going to coast more than Tucson, and Bellingham is no exception. It is very reasonable compared to Seattle, but with apartments at $700 and up, a small house with yard is going to be about $1,100 or more. Something like an in-law cottage or duplex may be less but harder to find with the demand from many students sharing rent.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:08 AM

335 posts, read 421,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West coast at heart View Post
I hope your daughter likes it there and is successful in school.
They all do. And they never leave.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:28 PM

it seems that I should not worry to much as all of your comments are positive, as long as she makes sure she stays away from the 2 bad areas mention, "letter streets" and Texas street, it seems that my main worry should be to find a place that she can take her german shepard with and then possibly never seen her around as she will stay there as per Pahn comment, as I see it in google maps, it is a beautiful are, really green and next to the ocean, something that my wife and I are looking for ourselves, however we like it warmer as it gets on the south as in Mexico's Nayarit area, if any of you in Bham area knows of anyone that owns rentals please send me their information, thanks again for the information!!

Old 09-15-2013, 06:08 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,359 times
My parents have retired in Bellingham. I absolutely love it. If there was a stronger tech economy there (jobs), my husband and I would absolutely raise our kids in B'ham. Enough culture to feel like one is not missing out or too isolated, yet also beautiful scenery and endless outdoor choices. Safe and cute, no reason for a parent to worry. Housing seems to be very expensive, but around Fairhaven would be a great place to live if you can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington