Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Within WA state, I would rather live in...
North Puyallup 2 50.00%
South Puyallup 0 0%
Sumner 0 0%
Seattle 1 25.00%
Other 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 07:14 AM

7 posts, read 55,397 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Seattle or the Seattle burbs from the east coast. We have narrowed our scope to the Puyallup/Sumner area - I think. My husband has been house hunting in-person once - and I have been seaching online. It looks as though Puyallup is "long" for lack of a better word (vertically, north to south). Is there a difference between north and south Puyallup: neighborhoods, schools, crime, commute, etc? Any insight from current residents would be GREATLY appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 07:48 PM

305 posts, read 1,610,131 times
Southern Puyallup is more "packed in" as far as the 'burbs go, but they do have the better high schools (Rogers and Emerald Ridge vs. Puyallup--though I'm told it's not hard to get a waiver). Crime is pretty low throughout all of Puyallup. South hill is infamous for it's traffic problems as Meridian is the main N/S thoroughfare. The Northern end, closer to "downtown" is much more charming, more affordable, and with lots less traffic. Puyallup has some areas that are considered unincorporated Pierce County, and the Summit-Waller area to the East of Canyon Road has some nice homes with larger yards, much better traffic, and similar prices. Specifically off of Fruitland and Woodland Aves (N/S) between 84th and 122nd or so has some good stuff... Sumner is also a nice, growing area, but the school choices are more limited.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:50 PM

305 posts, read 1,610,131 times
Also, Edgewood or "Puyallup's North Hill" is also a nice area to look into as well.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:19 AM

97 posts, read 427,553 times
I grew up in Puyallup for about 17 years and it all really depends on what you are looking for. North Puyallup aka Edgewood or North Hill is a transitional area of old agricultural land, old money, and people seeping in from Federal Way from the North. It has a great variety of housing types like prime view property of Mt. Rainier and the valley, small reasonably priced 10 lot developments, and generally larger acreage properties. Many of the best students at Puyallup High School came from this area of town.

The area you are leaving out is the Valley. The Valley is downtown and the surrounding area of old Puyallup. This area of puyallup is very quaint and filled with smaller properties from the 1920 and some new craftman style homes as well as medium density townhomes and apartment complexes. I'd describe this area as the very aspiring working middle class with small pockets of fixed income retirees.

South Hill is somewhat of a nightmare depending where you live on it. If you live near Meridian Street its total hell. 2 Walmarts in one town! A huge mall, massive commercial strip about 6 miles long that rivals many cities larger than its size, Costco, Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes all within a 3 mile radius of each other. Horrible traffic, super high density housing along meridan to the east and west that becomes less dense the further away you get from Meridan street. Schools are still good though as that is what Puyallup is known for. The richest part of Puyallup ironically exists on South hill to the east on the hill called Crystal Ridge. Its the typical street of dreams type of properties that can reach to 1million dollars plus (but for some people that means nothing when they move out a very affordable area such as Puyallup).

Puyallup is known for being in the top 5 at all times for best school district in the state and is a very pleasant city with decent dining here and there and great access to amenities in Tacoma.

Puyallup's schools beat Sumner's into the water. Sumner has always been more "hickish" in my opinion but now the town is booming with some nice design standards in place. Sumner is a bedroom community and is know for its Antique District where old ladies come far and wide to visit. Its very pleasant if you are into that but schoolwise they have had levy failures whereas Puyallup I believe has never had a levy failure. I don't believe there is much of a difference in housing prices too between Puyallup's Valley area and Sumner either.

My recommendation base on the limited information I have of you is that nice and decent living in Puyallup is probably near Fruitland Avenue and Clarks Creek. Older but restored homes with a huge park near them. Its quiet there, away from our famous Puyallup Fair traffic, and an easy 5 min drive into downtown or 10 min drive to Tacoma and I-5. Kids would go to fruitland elementary, then Aylen Jr. High, then Puyallup High School. If you are looking for new development way out past the Mall on South Hill near Emerald Ridge High School is lots of new houses at great prices. Just hope you don't have to commute far because you'll pull your hair out evading Meridan Street.

I always loved Puyallup but as a guy in his mid twenties its nothing more than an incubator for children and new families if not retiring folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington