U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 01:21 AM

1 posts, read 545 times

Advertisements

I am also currently living in Orange County CA and have a job interview for a manger position in Olympia/Lacey area. They have offered to do an interview over video conference. My wife and I have lived in Orange County our whole lives, but have both wanted to leave the state if the opportunity came up.

Olympia seems perfect for us and our 4 year old daughter. It seems the one major complaint is the homeless problem. However, even in Orange County, it's a pretty heavy population. I see them all the time (Orange, Costa Mesa, Santa Ana), so I'm not sure if it is any worse.

Any more advice from anyone? What is buying a house there like? We currently own a home here in CA, and the housing market is going nuts and we will be able to sell pretty quickly and pocket a little under 100k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 10:39 AM

4,541 posts, read 11,840,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulPatch12 View Post
...It seems the one major complaint is the homeless problem...
The "homeless problem" is the same in Olympia as it is in any other U.S. city.

It's only a "major complaint" among those who are homeless.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:27 AM

614 posts, read 882,947 times
West Olympia has seen an influx of "homeless" panhandlers over the past 5 years or so. We moved out of state about a year ago, but prior to that I did not see as many in East Olympia. Tumwater has been increasing its numbers at least along Trosper Rd. I have been told that many of them are part of a network where they vie for the best corners and have a "manager". Before we left, there were several that were out on the corner everyday and would disappear in the woods behind the Starbucks on Cooper Pt. I often would see teenagers heading down toward where I could pick out the tarps in the woods, presumably to buy drugs. I stopped "donating" years ago. Most of these panhandlers have been standing on their corners for several years for ample hours to be searching for a job. One of them even holds a novel behind her sign. It annoys me when I seen them with a "will work for food sign" at 6 pm when the free soup kitchen is open. Clearly their mind is not on food. Many years ago (before the EBT cards) I had neighbors who would sell their food stamps for cash at 50% of their face value. Later I would see them in front of the supermarket panhandling. I assure you, their cash did not go to bills or to better their lives but rather to their drug habit or beer. But I digress.

The panhandlers generally are just annoying rather than dangerous. You'll see considerably less of them once the temps drop. If you want to live further away from where they congregate, I would suggest getting further out Cooper Pt or Mud Bay where it becomes a bit more rural.

As far as SPSCC losing its accreditation for its nursing program....I am not surprised that happened. They were under considerable pressure from the 2 hospitals to churn out graduates and expanded their program further than they could manage. The head of the nursing program was rather flighty and unorganized but had an amazing program coordinator that kept everything running smoothly. She left a few years ago to further her own education and probably accelerated the downward spiral. Less than 10 years ago, they had an exceptional program that was difficult to get into. The nursing and dental programs are a large part of the college and I am sure that fixing the issues are at the top of the college's priority list. If you don't want to wait for SPSCC to fix their problems, Centralia C.C. also has a nursing program and I believe Olympic College in Shelton might have one as well. I would look to Centralia first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington