U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 08:59 PM

17 posts, read 21,894 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Olympia Washington about two weeks ago from SoCal. I was born in Los Angeles and spent the last 15 years in beautiful Orange County. I had been wanting to move for a while because the summers are much too warm (in the 90s and sometimes 100s) for me and because its so expensive. A small one bedroom is $1500 to $1800 in the clean safe areas. I was on this forum many months prior to moving but sadly didnt get much advice as to where to live. I asked for apartment suggestions and where to rent houses but only a small few were willing to be helpful. I visited Seattle and Bellevue which reminded me of orange county mixed with new york city buildings- but sadly it was just as expensive as orange county. I found tacoma to be quite run down compared to where Im from. I looked at few homes with a realtor in kent and renton that weren't very nice and seemed to be in the middle of nowhere. I finally settled in Olympia in a nice townhome that is near westfield mall and a grocery store with a nearby college. The weather has been nice except for 2 minor storms including some hail. Its very pretty. But there are homeless people everywhere all the time which makes me think Ive picked a bad area. Maybe they are harmless but it generally brings down the quality of an area and I wouldnt feel safe going out alone at night. Maybe people can be of more help this time?? I like washington as well as oregon. I drove through both states and stopped and stayed at hotels to explore. Lake oswego is a favorite of mine but this seems maybe out of my price range? I dont want to pay more than $1350/month for 2 bedrooms. I dont think downtown portland is ideal because I like a clean looking city and I guess they have a huge homeless population and I didnt care for all the strip clubs. It seemed unclassy. Im also open to San Diego since its a bit cooler than Orange County and Ive visited there several times. While the area seems old-looking I didnt see homeless on every corner. It appears to be safe, lots of colleges and beaches, maybe slightly more affordable than Orange County? Trying to find the right place to put down roots that is clean and safe but isnt outrageously overpriced. Please advise!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 09:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,855 posts, read 44,608,782 times
Welcome to the Northwest.

Yes, the greater Seattle area is almost as expensive as southern CA for the nicer neighborhoods, as is most of the west coast. The street homeless do seem harmless but the real problem is the ones that are mentally ill. Often the violence involving them is due to their failure to take their medication, when they either can't afford it or spend the money on drugs or alcohol instead. In downtown Seattle I frequently have to go a block out of the way to avoid a
guy bigger than me that's shouting loudly or having a fistfight with an imaginary enemy. Portland actually has the highest number of strip clubs per capita of any city in the U.S., for some reason. I would think that unless you need to be in a big city, nearby Lacey would be a good place for you. It seems like $1,350 is not a bad budget for a good place in Olympia if you look hard enough.
Even in Seattle you can find a 2 bedroom for $1,500. You need to spend some time driving around and looking for the areas where you would be happy. There are also areas like Lynnwood, north of Seattle with newer 2 BR townhomes for under your budget.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:32 PM

7,023 posts, read 11,686,543 times
If I recall correctly her husband works @ JBLM, so places north of Seattle really isn't going to cut it.

The homeless issue is very visible here in the bigger cities of the West Coast, including Olympia and San Diego. Generally people don't have a problem with the homeless. Bellevue (and places like Bellevue) has less of a visible issue, but only because of the way they deal with it. There's a liberal purity and approach here (and OR) when it comes to dealing with the homeless, so it's not a problem that's going away; its here to stay.

Lake Oswego is definitely pricey for Oregon, I have no idea if your budget would fit-- but that's a topic better covered by them OR people in their own forum.

I did suggest that you use Craigslist and padmapper to find yourself a place in your other posts. But the problem is you're essentially looking for a cheaper OC in both OR and WA-- and that's not really realistic. Especially since OR and WA has a much more recent logging/blue collar past than Cali/OC-- so you have that understating, nonflashy, dull/modest and old ambience about our towns. You want a place here even remotely similar to OC-- you definitely have to pay. Those places (like Bellevue) are heavily desired.

You can either change your expectations and accept the very modest ambience or pay more. **Or... just keep looking for that cheaper OC elsewhere. We can't really help you with that until you decide what's more important to you.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
18,171 posts, read 33,630,849 times
Use some time to explore Oly area, There are many nice regions that are absent of homeless. Oly is probably one of the nicer / affordable 'large' cities in PNW.

I would not get too excited about OREGON, it can be pretty quirky and expensive.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:23 AM

417 posts, read 592,523 times
Oly rocks! Welcome to the 360. I just moved back with my wife from New Hampshire. We lived there for two years, and we are so happy to be back in the Puget Sound.

I see homeless people a lot too around Olympia, but they don't bother me. Some ask for money, but you can usually decline to donate. I actually have taken time to visit with some of those folks to learn their stories. I know I haven't ever felt threatened or scared to walk around downtown Olympia or anywhere else because of it.

Don't give up on the Olympia area yet. It's a great place. We're in Lacey. Come on over and check out our hood.

-Mike

Old 10-11-2013, 02:40 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,713,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
Some ask for money, but you can usually decline to donate.
You can USUALLY decline to donate? I may be just a hick who doesn't know much about this subject, but these homeless don't sound overly "harmless" if there are even rare times that you HAVE to donate to them...

Last edited by PS90; 10-11-2013 at 02:53 PM..

Old 10-11-2013, 04:26 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,614,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWobsessed View Post
I like washington as well as oregon. I drove through both states and stopped and stayed at hotels to explore. Lake oswego is a favorite of mine but this seems maybe out of my price range? I dont want to pay more than $1350/month for 2 bedrooms. I dont think downtown portland is ideal because I like a clean looking city and I guess they have a huge homeless population and I didnt care for all the strip clubs. It seemed unclassy. Im also open to San Diego since its a bit cooler than Orange County and Ive visited there several times. While the area seems old-looking I didnt see homeless on every corner. It appears to be safe, lots of colleges and beaches, maybe slightly more affordable than Orange County? Trying to find the right place to put down roots that is clean and safe but isnt outrageously overpriced. Please advise!!!!!
Are you considering moving to one of those other places? Doesn't your husband have to be here? Do you have a lease, or are you free to move?

People suggested Lacey to you before. Was that too expensive, or did you not like it? I haven't seen Puyallup mentioned in your threads. Have you looked that direction?

Old 10-11-2013, 04:57 PM

417 posts, read 592,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
You can USUALLY decline to donate? I may be just a hick who doesn't know much about this subject, but these homeless don't sound overly "harmless" if there are even rare times that you HAVE to donate to them...
What I meant was in comparison to giving them something. You can *always* decline if you so choose.

I've heard stories of aggressive panhandlers blocking peoples path on the sidewalk or being pushy, but those stories were up in the Seattle area. It may happen in Olympia, but I don't know about it.

-Mike

Old 10-11-2013, 05:06 PM

188 posts, read 742,470 times
We just can back from Olympia today from a 2 Week visit, we are moving back to the area within the next 2 years after a 20 year hiatus.
The amount of homless and panhandlers in Olympia was shocking. Local politicians need to address these issues, most of the ones we saw were harmless however we did have a altercation with one of them when we refuse to give him money. A lot of them appeared to be in their young 20's or mid 30's. One of the biggest issues we saw is that Olympia locals basically let them do what they wanted and left them alone, and have a "live and let live" attitude.
We lived in another State and they addressed it by making lottering illegal and charging for a panhandler license and actively enforced both.
If you feel unsafe you might want to look at getting a yellow jacket phone case for your phone if you have one. Personally between Olympia, Tumwater and Lacey we are leaning towards Tumwater but we have at least 2 more visits planned in the next 12 Months to make a final decision.
Good Luck.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:03 PM

2,640 posts, read 4,790,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peperosso View Post
We just can back from Olympia today from a 2 Week visit, we are moving back to the area within the next 2 years after a 20 year hiatus.
The amount of homless and panhandlers in Olympia was shocking. Local politicians need to address these issues, most of the ones we saw were harmless however we did have a altercation with one of them when we refuse to give him money. A lot of them appeared to be in their young 20's or mid 30's. One of the biggest issues we saw is that Olympia locals basically let them do what they wanted and left them alone, and have a "live and let live" attitude.
We lived in another State and they addressed it by making lottering illegal and charging for a panhandler license and actively enforced both.
If you feel unsafe you might want to look at getting a yellow jacket phone case for your phone if you have one. Personally between Olympia, Tumwater and Lacey we are leaning towards Tumwater but we have at least 2 more visits planned in the next 12 Months to make a final decision.
Good Luck.
To the bold part, I think you're being unfair. Really. Local politicians have enough to worry about that is of a much higher priority.
  • Building stadiums in places already screwed up with traffic.
  • "Robbing Peter to pay Paul" by tolling the I-90 because of wasteful spending resulting in a shortfall for the 520 project.
  • Tolling a standard freeway such as the 405, yet not increasing any of the lanes in comparison.
  • Refusing to add dedicated entry and exit ramps for buses and carpools to the 405 and 5.
  • Avoiding creating more offramps for the 405 corridor so that in the event of an accident or something that causes traffic blockage, people can take city streets to get around.
  • Allowing carpoolers to flow freely through onramps without stoppping, disregarding people who aren't carpoolers who abuse this to get on the freeway.
  • Refusing to make the 522 a proper freeway by eliminating the city exit streets and adding two lanes in each direction, plus straightening it.
  • Adding blocks between certain ramps in Seattle so that people can't cut lines when the traffic is backed up trying to get on or off the freeway.
  • Figuring out ways to squeeze money out of the rich people on Mercer Island.
  • Buying more Segways for the fat cops "patrolling" Seattle downtown.
  • Buying fancy new Ford Fusions for police cruiser replacement since those barely used Dodge Chargers are just not recent enough.

Seriously. The health and well-being of citizens being harassed by some bum is just another bullet in a long list of bullets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington