U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:32 PM

47 posts, read 49,025 times

Advertisements

I'd highly prefer somewhere in Western WA. Liberal is good.
I currently don't have a college degree and my work history is mostly limited to call centers.
I'm 23 and would like a place that I could make friends and date easily.
I would be moving from Utah.

What are your recommendations and why?
Where should I move to?
(I prefer warm weather, and don't care about having all 4 seasons... though it seems likely I will see all 4 at least a little)
Rain, love it. So, this isn't an issue, if anything I'd rather live somewhere it rains more than less.

I'm also wanting to continue my college education when I can. So, local college would be great.
The biggest issue is that I don't know how to get a job in Washington before I move there. I've only done one out of state move and it was smooth because I had friends already living there, giving me a place to stay until I could get a job.
I know little to no one in Washington.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 01:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
31,496 posts, read 51,949,000 times
Fairhaven, WA (Bellingham).

Close enough to Vancouver BC for some REAL fun!, yet very nice environment and plenty of school options. Plenty Liberal.

Really a nice area with lots of options and little of the hassle / crime / traffic / expense of Seattle / South Sound area.

I would do it in a heartbeat, and not look back.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:20 AM

Any more details you can give me about Fairhaven, or Bellingham?
How's the job market? (Considering I haven't graduated college I'd need something easy to get)
And how is the housing there?

Old 10-16-2013, 10:50 AM

4,456 posts, read 8,843,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yensu View Post
(I prefer warm weather, and don't care about having all 4 seasons... though it seems likely I will see all 4 at least a little)
Rain, love it. So, this isn't an issue, if anything I'd rather live somewhere it rains more than less.
When you say, "warm," do you mean "not hot"? Or by "warm" do you mean "not cold"? Are highs in the 40s for a few months okay? I know you're also thinking about California. That may be a better choice for "warm."

Florida has both.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yensu View Post
Any more details you can give me about Fairhaven, or Bellingham?
How's the job market? (Considering I haven't graduated college I'd need something easy to get)
And how is the housing there?
college town, all kinds of options for both jobs and housing.

Having a place on your own (in town) will be expensive, but plenty of options to 'share' or move further out.

Try to get a job at Costco, very good employer with flexible and night hours so you can attend school. Worked good for one of my kids who attended WWU in Bellingham. He paid $300/ month for a private bedroom in a duplex. It was nice, and safe, but no view.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
college town, all kinds of options for both jobs and housing.

Having a place on your own (in town) will be expensive, but plenty of options to 'share' or move further out.

Try to get a job at Costco, very good employer with flexible and night hours so you can attend school. Worked good for one of my kids who attended WWU in Bellingham. He paid $300/ month for a private bedroom in a duplex. It was nice, and safe, but no view.
Most helpful post so far I think, thank you.
That is about the price I was hoping to be able to get a place for, so knowing it's possible really helps. As for Costco, I remember people saying it was a good place to work in a different state as well (When I lived in Kansas). So, that is probably a good idea.

So far I am most convinced to move to WA compared to CA.

As for the person that mentioned weather, I am used to snow all winter long and temperatures in the negatives, low 40's would be amazing in comparison if that's as cold as it gets.

@StealthRabbit:
What sites/resources would you recommend to help find housing and such before the move?
I have only moved out of state once, and as I stated, it was easy because of friends and places ready for me upon arrival. This will be a lone venture and I'm a bit nervous about how to do that.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:00 AM

Try CA only if WA doesn't fit you. It is very expensive to live there, and it is a great place to visit (benefits without the taxes) Flights are CHEAP and EZ and makes a great place for a winter sun break. I fly to San Diego for 'day trips' for only $19.99 each way, but generally costs ~ $59 - $89 to get to SFO or LAX / SNA. Can't buy much gas for that fee.
I also consider Seattle / San Juan Islands / Vancouver, BC; Portland, Spokane and Victoria BC, all better to visit than to live. YMMV,

Padmapper.com + zip (Whatcom County - Washington Zip Code Boundary Map (WA))

Find a way to connect with groups that can help you fit in. There are some great churches there, as well as many recreation / organic / social groups. Once there, join some city league recreation or classes (Volleyball, hiking, climbing, photo, softball, gardening...). Spend time at grocery / Farmer Markets, and library talking with folks, walk in the GREAT parks and talk to folks walking the pets and kids. Classes at Jr College are often attended by locals and EZ to meet great friends. (College... WWU, not same, but still OK for 'temporary friends'. ) Work will be good too, especially if you work nights (night shift Folks are friendlier, and more free time for fun, and usually more money)

I would get aquainted with some elderly folks that have a NICE view house and would rent you space in a spare room or apartment. You can offer to help them with occasional driving, cooking, and shopping and probably have most of the house to yourself and a quiet and clean abode with little drama. Many will have an entire daylight basement available for you! My SIL's did that during their college ventures to Seattle, San Diego, Hawaii, Baltimore, DC, Chicago, London, Brussels, Madrid, Rome... One SIL got to 'house-sitting' for the rich and famous and went 30 yrs without having to rent an apartment!

Old 10-17-2013, 12:37 AM

I'll probably make a separate post about this, but how would I go about finding a job/apartment close to each other(assuming I do move to Bellingham). I'll do research on the topic, but I always feel an actual conversation about the things I'm worried about help the most.
I could work at costco no problem, do you know the specific website to apply? (or how I would)
And what about places near by for affordable housing for 1? I'll probably look at Craigslist and hope I can find something good.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:31 PM

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments
+ 98226

CL is not so good for securing a rental.

Career Opportunities

Old 10-19-2013, 01:10 PM

307 posts, read 366,277 times
T-Mobile has a call center in Bellingham. Fairhaven is trendy and expensive. I'd rent somewhere close to Western Washington University if you're thinking about school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington