U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 06:53 PM

11 posts, read 16,373 times

Advertisements

Hi, we live in No. Ca., and we are thinking of moving to WA. We've been there some years ago and it's beautiful. We are on fixed income, retired, and have two dogs. We want to live outside a larger city, so we can be close to amenities, as drs., stores, etc, but not IN the city. We want to live where there is not rain all summer, (as in the coast of Oregon). My husband has arthritis, so the cold hurts him worse. We don't have alot of money to travel there many times to find places to live, so we thought we'd ask you to give us some ideas to research. Thank you so much for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 11:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
18,218 posts, read 33,691,828 times
Walla Walla, or Richland = sunny + medical + decent towns These are in Eastern WA. I wouldn't recommend western WA if he has severe arthritis.

Need VA care? Then you will need to be close to Spokane. Several smaller towns nearby are decent. Spokane Valley is nice as well.

While you are in the neighborhood, look into Moscow, ID. It is very nice.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:15 PM

Thank you SO much. I will do homework on these towns. When we lived for 3 months in Oregon, we went to WA. to Tri cities. Oregon and Washington are God's county. But, now we have medical issues and need to be where it's more dry. Thank you again so much!!

Old 10-19-2013, 02:49 AM

6,566 posts, read 11,128,537 times
Richland has a VA clinic but it's perpetually understaffed and underequipped. If I said how I know that, someone I care about who has to deal with a lot of cranky vets angry at this person just because this person is out on point would probably get in trouble, so just please believe me when I tell you not to put any stock in that situation. There's Wainwright near Wally; don't know the situation there, but Spokane must surely be a better bet. Spokane also has much better overall medical care. Tri-Citians who value their health go there or Seattle for major surgery--the medical watchword all over Tri-Cities is institutionalized mediocrity.

Stealth, by the way, knows this state extremely well. I lived in it for nearly forty years and he knows it better than I do. So I'd take him at face value, too.

Boise's climate is not much different than the TC (very dry), and it has better medical care by far. Not sure about its VA facilities. It also has much lower property tax for your primary residence. WA is the place to be if you have to work for minimum wage and want any form of social services or consumer protection; ID is a good place if you are rich, and if you express lots of Passionate Gun Love. And especially if you don't like wearing a motorcycle helmet or having to stop at stop signs on a bicycle.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:42 PM

Hi, my husband doesn't go to VA. So, what I'm gathering is Walla Walla, Richland, Boise are good places to live, and for major surgeries, Spokane and Seattle are the best for medical. Since we are on a fixed income, as my husband is on disability/retirement, we need affordable housing, but in a 'safe' town. But close to drs. Am I summing this up right? This is new to me. We lived in Astoria, OR for 3 months and crossed over into WA a few times. It is for sure, God's country, but the rain was every day. Made life hard on my husband. And, was hard for me walking dogs, etc. I value all of the great advice all of you are giving me. Thank you so much!!

Old 10-19-2013, 11:05 PM

6,566 posts, read 11,128,537 times
Boise or Tri-Cities are probably the safest, though Wally isn't exactly a hive of criminality. Spokane is pretty safe. Whether you'd prefer Richland to Kennewick would depend on if you could even tell the difference (locals are convinced that there's a monumental difference, but it's evident only to them). There are a fair number of older homes in Richland that are inexpensive and small, plus a lot of duplexes and fourplexes.

Tri-Cities is great if you want nothing from your community and local government but to be left alone. Not so great for doctors. I think many who settle there do so because they couldn't cut it in a market that expected to get what it paid for.

There is more precipitation in Spokane than TC, which is pretty deserty. Boise's pretty dry too.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
18,218 posts, read 33,691,828 times
Sounds like medical care and affordable housing is paramount, There are many ways to assess the best options for you by getting details from the agencies you will need to deal with. (Affordable housing often means 'subsidized')

WA or ID may each be quite acceptable. There are plenty of very safe areas of Boise and Spokane, as well as close-by towns.

West side Boise / Nampa is very accessible to great medical. It is quite arid and Ag based, and lots of subdivision growth, and a long way to the beach (but not so far to a big lake, and a nice river walk in town). People are quite nice in ID and it has a pretty decent Political structure / fairly balanced. Many MANY people flee WA for ID, especially highly taxed businesses (capital intensive) and Farmers.

Spokane is nearer the mtns and seems to have a few run-down areas, but also many nice, pristine and safe areas. It is much more hilly and close to Mtns. and clos'er' to the beach than Boise. There are LOTS of options near Spokane for housing and medical. Wenatchee would be my choice if you have an interest in access to we_tside Wa / Puget Sound.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:10 AM

Oh boy. Thank you so much!!! Will look into Wenatchee too then. Lots of good info. Our rescue labs LOVE water too!!!

Old 10-20-2013, 05:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,881 posts, read 44,696,539 times
Sunny in summer applies to the entire state with the exception of the Hoh Rainforest areas such as LaPush, Neah Bay and Forks.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:18 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,410,522 times
Did you mean WI or WA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington