U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 07:55 PM

30 posts, read 58,408 times

Advertisements

I noticed there are some serious amount of racism against Asians in Pacific Northwest. Especially in blue collar world. I work as a warehouse guy I know it better than anyone. It tends to target the young Asian male and usually leave the olds alone and they chase after Asian female.

From what I've seen, if you're blue collar and Asian in the US (Oriental...Chinese, Japanese...etc, not Indian nor Pakistani.), everybody will be on your @ss. Unless you're doing an EXTRAORDINARY job, everyone will pick any single flaw about you and your performance. And if you're fed up and decide to do something about it, you'll get physically threatened and intimidated. The funny thing is, the old ones tend to be left alone, while the young Oriental Asian male tend to have it the worst. They don't even have to do anything bad or get on anyone's nerve, THEIR PRESENCE ALONE IN A BLUE COLLAR JOB WILL ATTRACT OTHER NON-ASIAN BLUE COLLAR WORKERS TO BULLY THEM.

I'm not sure how is it out there in East Coast, South, Mid-west or California as I never lived nor worked at those places before, but I don't think Asians have it as bad.

And no, don't give me that "No we all love Asian" bullsh1t. I think we need a bit of honesty when it comes to racism against Oriental Asian. The fact it's so passively aggressive make it extremely hard to combat. Let's keep it real, Asians are not well liked at all, especially in blue collar jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 10:18 PM

1,588 posts, read 1,718,730 times
Are you attempting to start a debate, or is this just a rant?

Old 10-20-2013, 02:00 AM

30 posts, read 58,408 times
I'm just wonder why?

Old 10-20-2013, 12:44 PM

7,024 posts, read 11,701,583 times
Maybe it's just you.

I grew up in a very blue collar area, with a lot of Asian kids (many were children of immigrants) who also grew up to be mostly blue collared adults. They don't have the same complaints that you do. If anything, they seem just like anyone else.

My mother is Japanese, having become US citizen in the early 90s... says her best experience is here in Seattle. Worst experience was in San Francisco, where they did treat low income Asians much worse than the high class, moneyed Asians. (She also lived in the South and the Midwest and still wasn't rudely treated like in SF.)

Old 10-20-2013, 01:07 PM

1,254 posts, read 2,243,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Maybe it's just you.
I grew up in a very blue collar area, with a lot of Asian kids (many were children of immigrants) who also grew up to be mostly blue collared adults. They don't have the same complaints that you do. If anything, they seem just like anyone else.
My mother is Japanese, having become US citizen in the early 90s... says her best experience is here in Seattle. Worst experience was in San Francisco, where they did treat low income Asians much worse than the high class, moneyed Asians. (She also lived in the South and the Midwest and still wasn't rudely treated like in SF.)
Inkpoe, I think you hit the nail on the head.
Rememberibg some of his other posts, the OP seems to generalize about everything: If he's having trouble at work, all WA workers have poor work ethics. If he's treated poorly (again, seems to be at work), then all Washingtonians are racist toward Asians.
Like you, I hae never seen that kind of attitude / behavior here.
Doesn't mean the OP can't post about it - he just needs to clarify that this has happened / is happening to him, not that it's universal!

Old 10-21-2013, 01:00 AM

36 posts, read 62,005 times
I wonder how white male feel among bluecolor asians

Old 10-21-2013, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 16,641 times
WAH WAH WAH Dear Abbey, I'm unable to perform and blame it on racism what shall i do? Man up and do your job or get another one!!1

Old 10-21-2013, 05:38 PM

133 posts, read 194,655 times
Ignore the haters, Chlee007. I feel you, bro. Once at a Rainier Safeway, I watched a black man accuse an Asian of pick-pocketing. The racist said, "you have to watch those Asians, sneaky ones they are". Blacks should be the least racist folks but that's not the case and it tells a crucial human flaw. As the black guy left the store other Asians spoke among themselves in a language I didn't understand but I did understand when they repeatedly used the n-word. It was ANOTHER ugly racist occurrence in Seattle. Today, KOMO reported a racist skateboarder was run over by a car for yelling slurs at the driver and damaging the windshield. Seattle is so F'd up! We're not who we tell the world we are.

About the workplace bullying - I've also been a victim, e.g., colleagues will introduce the new hire to everyone in my seating area except me (I'm the only black person). People will walk through the office and say hi to everyone except me. The bullying and mistreatment is always done by whitey. My endowed manly parts won't ever let me become a bully, it does absolutely nothing for my self-esteem. But others revel in the role.

Good luck.

Last edited by dicecobb; 10-21-2013 at 06:46 PM..

Old 10-21-2013, 06:38 PM

423 posts, read 595,517 times
Racist skateboarders in Seattle? *gasp*

-Mike

Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 PM

1,588 posts, read 1,718,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecobb View Post
The bullying and mistreatment is always done by whitey.
I can't tell if you are being serious or sarcastic here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington