U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:32 AM

421 posts, read 806,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think that better planning would have prevented much of the problems related to sprawl
NO! The only possible to way stop our state from being destroyed is either to stop population growth, which can't be done on a state level, or stop all development, which would be fine with me but business has way too much money for that to ever happen.

Washington will be exactly like New Jersey in about 20 years, and then everyone will cry and moan, but you will also deserve it for never standing up for what needs to be done just because people will say stupid things like you want to exterminate everyone, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 12:08 PM

202 posts, read 319,341 times
We may have some sprawl here, but it's nothing like what other cities have. Phoenix is atrocious and more a giant suburb of ugly sprawl than a true city (except for downtown). I hope our little town is smarter than that about development.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:25 PM

9,513 posts, read 21,851,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver Girl View Post
We may have some sprawl here, but it's nothing like what other cities have. Phoenix is atrocious and more a giant suburb of ugly sprawl than a true city (except for downtown). I hope our little town is smarter than that about development.
At first, I found the growth of Maple Valley to be shocking. But really, it's still pretty rural, it's just that there are a lot more places to shop and dine, things Maple Valley needed. The new Fred Meyer store is great, the gelato place nearby is awesome, and they passed the school levy, for the first time in years.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:31 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Ira500!

Old 11-07-2013, 12:34 PM

1,928 posts, read 980,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver Girl View Post
The difference between Phoenix and the Seattle area are rather simple, Phoenix can spread out in every direction and Seattle can't because of water on both sides. Seattle area sprawl can only move north and south. That why they call it the I-5 corridor.
Maple Valley once was a real rural area but over the last 10-15 years it looks like every other place in the metro area. Wall to wall condo and housing tracks. I remember Maple Valley when they had about five or six stores and a golf course. One tavern and one grocery store at the intersection and nothing on the west side of highway 18 but a few houses.

I guess the power to be weren't as smart as you hoped.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:41 PM

It's not entirely wall to wall housing - there are still great swaths of green landscape interspersed throughout our community. Though I wasn't here 10-15 years ago, I get what it must've looked like before and I wish I'd seen it that way. It does sadden me, but I also know begrudgingly that it's the way of the future. I also know the landscape around Phoenix is very different, but there's also a difference between ugly strip malls and well thought out developments.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:51 PM

71 posts, read 78,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
[/color]
Yes, the population doubled, but that had nothing to do with it? Talk about denial.

I hate all the growth since I was a kid here in the 70's and I think it has ruined Washington. If there was a way to outlaw migrating to the state I would vote for it. The cost of living, traffic and job competition have soared to insane levels in the last 30 because of growth.
The opportunities in WAshington State have also increased since the 70s. You may have been a kid then, but surely you have to remember the recession and the idea that boeing was going to be gone and the last one left remember to turn out the lights.

this idea that washington is ruined is ludicrous.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:53 PM

71 posts, read 78,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
NO! The only possible to way stop our state from being destroyed is either to stop population growth, which can't be done on a state level, or stop all development, which would be fine with me but business has way too much money for that to ever happen.

Washington will be exactly like New Jersey in about 20 years, and then everyone will cry and moan, but you will also deserve it for never standing up for what needs to be done just because people will say stupid things like you want to exterminate everyone, etc.
They said this 20 years ago and now you're putting it off another 20 years.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:24 PM

1,928 posts, read 980,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt144 View Post
The opportunities in WAshington State have also increased since the 70s. You may have been a kid then, but surely you have to remember the recession and the idea that boeing was going to be gone and the last one left remember to turn out the lights.

this idea that washington is ruined is ludicrous.
I was working at Boeing when that sign appeared on a bill board early 1971.

Thinking that because of the early 70's recession that Boeing was leaving the Seattle area is totally wrong, as Boeing was starting the building of the largest building in the world by volume at Everett at that time to accommodate the new 747. The 737 was being moved from Boeing field to Renton to be built along side of the 727 and the last of the 707's at that time which were later revived and made into the Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS).

I witnessed the reduction from around 105K Boeing workers to around 35K in just a couple a years. After hiring on at Boeing in 1966 with little seniority some how I make it without ever being laid off and spend 35 years working on the floor and Custom support until I retired to the Peninsula in 2000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington