U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-02-2013, 11:59 AM

5 posts, read 9,546 times
Default Commuting from Port Orchard to Poulsbo?

I have a job opportunity in Port Orchard, and I'm looking for information about the area. I've always rather liked Poulsbo and would consider moving there if I get the job. Would that be a realistic commute? It looks like 30-45 minutes each way. Does WA-3 get heavy traffic at rush hour? Any information would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 03:17 PM

103 posts, read 69,074 times
Plan on at least 45 minutes because of the curve around Sinclair Inlet (Gorst). I commute from North Kitsap (north of Poulsbo) to Bremerton and it takes me about 40 minutes, 35 if I hit the stoplights right. Speed limit on Hwy. 3 is 60 mph until you get into Bremerton, then slows to 50, then 40 through Gorst through the turnoff to Hwy. 16/166.

The Gorst area between Bremerton and PO is a bottleneck, but nothing compared to Seattle traffic. That area is especially bad at around 4 p.m. due to the PSNS traffic when the day shift is excused and folks head south. Of course, this would be the reverse of the commute you are proposing, but something to keep in mind.

On the plus side, it's a beautiful ride, especially during the fall.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:38 PM

13,666 posts, read 15,649,832 times
That commute will be a breeze compared to those in Seattle and the eastside, and I think you will be very happy in Poulsbo. Be sure to check out Central Market, we stop there whenever we go through Poulsbo. You also have all of the shopping and restaurants you need in Silverdale, between home and work.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:37 AM

143 posts, read 101,238 times
Why not live in Port Orchard or environs? We've been looking at homes in the McCormick Woods area (not just in that development). Poulsbo is certainly nice (a little pricey for us). Both Poulsbo and P.O. have relatively easy access to Seattle whenever you want to go there.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:10 AM

103 posts, read 69,074 times
The only downside to relocating to Port Orchard is the schools situation. We would have bought there if we didn't have kiddos in the mix. We eventually bought a home in a school district that a few years earlier passed a bond that funded upgrades to multiple schools and built another high school in the district.

SK schools are hit-and-miss, and South Kitsap High School is the largest 3-year high school in the state. Schools are in a state of disrepair--the most recently SKSD built/refurbished a campus was in 1991! The continued lack of funding support from the state means the district needs to pass bonds and levies to fund basic services and keep a minimum level of upkeep. However, SK folks seem to be dead set against passing a bond to fund infrastructure and build a new high school to ease overcrowding and align grade configuration-wise with other districts in the county. See this article from October 2012. (The bond proposal is still up in the air as of Nov. 2013) District officials look at aging buildings | Schools - Port Orchard Independent

Old 11-26-2013, 10:07 AM

10 posts, read 4,302 times
You'll hit heavy traffic due to the shipyard sometimes clogging up Highway 3 all the way to the first Bremerton exit. It's been like that as long as anyone can remember and sadly there's no way to improve this because the choke point is the shipyard's gates. Once you pass the car dealerships, the traffic will clear up as you head south to Port Orchard. I tried the same thing for a while living in Silverdale and commuting but found its easier just living south of Gorst (the Sinclair Inlet). You can still live in the woods around Port Orchard toward Longlake or Olalla and still be near enough to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington