Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 PM

5 posts, read 10,767 times

Advertisements

Just joined this forum today. I lived in Lakewood (which used to be part of Tacoma, if I understand correctly), from 13 June 2005 to 11 Dec 2011. I was a civil service worker at McChord AFB. To sort of put my reply in context, I am from Georgia, and lived in Delaware from 1988 to 2004. I can definitely say that living up there (out there?) is a lot different than the east coast, or down south. Not necessarily good or bad, just different. I did notice a difference in driving habits, for the most part people seemed a bit calmer and a little more polite, for instance, when trying to merge onto I-5, seems like someone would always slow down or move over so that I could get in without any problems. And not nearly as much loud music from the cars, either. Of course, this is a big metro area, so you will encounter your share of jackasses. A note about the traffic. Friday afternoon traffic going south from Seattle area is terrible, everyone seems to be trying to get out of town for the weekend, and, well, I-5 south is about it. And, the Sunday afternoon traffic heading north into Seattle is bad, as everyone is coming back. Just be prepared. The weather from about late October or early November, the rainy season sets in, and it will be mainly overcast and rain until May or June. Hardly ever a hard rain, and thunderstorms are rare, but you will be damp for a few months. The summers are absolutely beautiful. If it gets above 80 degrees, that's a heat wave. There are usually only a handful of days where it is actually hot. Almost no rain in the summertime. A native summed it up like this when a new arrival asked him about the weather. He said "we have two seasons out here - wet and dry". And that's about right. And for what this is worth, I used to work at Dover AFB in Delaware, and we had a few units that were at Langley AFB, so I am a bit familiar with the Norfolk/Newport News/Hampton Roads area, as I had to go down there TDY a few times. The area you are going to is not nearly that intense. Oh, I just went back and read some of your responses to other posts. I did find that people in general were a bit standoffish, not rude, but they just didn't seem to have time for you. However, I was up there by myself and I'm a bit on the shy and quiet side, so that probably had a lot to do with it. I've heard it referred to as the "Seattle reserve". But since you will be there as a family, and you are familiar with the military lifestyle, doubt that will be a problem for you. I'm back in Delaware now, but on balance I enjoyed my time in the great northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 11:56 AM

265 posts, read 722,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape2014 View Post
Polymorphist, I too am leaving family and everything I know behind, and I respect the courage. Most people look at me like like I am crazy when explaining my plans. mrslovettstallor My kids also keep me very busy so a social life isn't my first priority. I just hope that it is different for my kids. I want them to build lasting friendships with good kids. I have been looking for houses and it is pricey, or I have expensive taste lol but I will try to remain realistic on my nurse salary.
I find the area you are going to does not seem to suffer from a lot of the social issues, and again I think that is because there are so many people in and out from the Military there isn't the sense that you are an outsider. It extends to the kids as well. We were in Poulsbo for basically one whole day and my son made a friend he has been texting with since last Thursday. That completely would not happen out where we are and is one of the reason's we are moving to that area. I personally prefer the views here and the proximity to the coast but I want to make it easier on my daughter in regards to making friends and fitting in at school. Here if your families are not friends the kids do not socialize out of the classroom. Our 8 year old asked a child to play with her at the park and the little girl damn near choked on her candy at the suggestion. When we went to my son's football and lacrosse games at both North Kitsap, South Kitsap and Bremerton and Olympic schools, she immediately found kids there to play with and had a blast So there really is a big difference and in the area you are going you will be okay. Being with the Military too I am certain that you will have no problems as you will definitely have those who you all can relate to Good luck! Maybe I will see you around

Old 11-15-2013, 12:08 PM

265 posts, read 722,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymorphist View Post
Honestly I've experienced the same behavior in Michigan. Exactly the same. I've experienced the same behavior in Kentucky. Same as elsewhere. I'm from a part of Michigan where the Dutch reformists settled and they are conservative, some of them don't even dance. People have said that they are not very welcoming there but I haven't noticed any difference between them and so-called open, liberal easy-going and "godless" Seattleites. I have no problem meeting people and hanging out and making friends. I really don't see anyone's behavior as being different between Seattle nor any other place i've lived. Perhaps maybe I am skewed and maybe an outlier, but I doubt that I am. We do both have a right to our respective opinions, we'll just have to disagree I guess.

You can buy a small condo, maybe, in Seattle or Bellevue for that price. Certainly not a good house can be found in those areas for that. You'd be hard-pressed to find a good house in that range in Lynnwood, Kent or the outer-reaches of the Seattle metro area for that price. Not saying it can't be done, but it's not the norm.

Ah well now you can doubt all you want, but that doesn't mean you are right I heard on NPR not that long ago that someone bought an entire office building in downtown Detroit for $40,000. It happens.
We will definitely have to disagree. As far as the people go, in comparing a religious sect to the people in Seattle (definitely a sect of their own I can tell ya) is not the same thing, and the fact that the two draw similarities for you really kind of proves my point And I have always found the people down south to be SUPER WELCOMING and friendly in a very genuine and caring way that doesn't stop once the conversation is over. And like I said people are different and there is not necessarily anything WRONG with it, just if you are coming from some place else and have been raised different with different expectations on how people should behave it can be a shock and there are just TOO MANY conversations about it to ignore that fact. Which is kind of where the problem comes in. It should be taken as a constructive criticism and something done about it instead of argued to death that things are just not that way. Now if someone themselves is kind of stand offish, introverted and really self-aware they may love it someplace like this. It is all about where you are coming from (mentally and regionally) I guess. And not all areas are like that, hence I said they should do really well in North Kitsap.

Real estate wise one cannot compare a town like Midland MI which is SMALL to one like Seattle. OF COURSE it will be more expensive than Michigan, it is a major city. Michigan doesn't have a Major city and even Detroit never reached the same level someplace as Seattle or New York or Chicago because there was room for it to spread from one suburb to another hence space never reached the premium of other places, then it became a ruined hell-hole so now you cannot PAY people to live there. I would say price wise and neighborhood wise I could probably compare Midland to Poulbo and Silverdale, and those prices are right in line what we would pay back in MI. UNLESS you get something on the water, which even in MI would have cost a lot more. Detroit is pretty much empty with street after street of derelict houses. There are buildings laying in rubble in main areas and homeless people everywhere. It is completely unsafe, many parts even during the day and especially if you are white, so I am not surprised he got and office building for $40,000. Personally I am surprised he paid that much.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:56 PM

78 posts, read 154,006 times
Quote:
Hello everyone, My husband has spent a lot of time in the Bremerton area over the past 3 years. He has been sent to the shipyard over their from here to do various jobs etc. My husband and I have decided to pack up and move that way. What areas within 30 miles of Bremerton are nice to live with a family? I am moving from hampton roads Va and am very excited and nervous at the same time. Has anyone moved to the PNW from the east coast and how do you feel about your decision?
First, I am jealous. I just moved from Hampton Roads to DC. I would love to move to Bremerton area. I really love Poulsbo WA. My friend , also a transplant from Virginia Beach loves it there. I have heard Olympia is a great place as well. I hope it all comes together for you.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:59 PM

78 posts, read 154,006 times
Quote:
Thank you. I have been looking at homes in Poulsbo. Kinda nervous on this move, so any recommendations help. I have seen some homes on Bainbridge Island that are absolutely amazing but out of my price range at the moment.
Have you considered renting a place until you get you know the area and where you want to settle?

Old 11-23-2013, 12:31 PM

104 posts, read 197,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgeeGirl1 View Post
Hi Ape2014,

I too am contemplating a move to Washington (Port Orchard area, which is just south of Bremerton. I am a native New Yorker, born and raised, lived here my whole 44 years-I currently reside on Long Island, NY). I too have the very same questions as Ape2014. My situation is a bit different tho. I am a divorced mom of one, 12 soon to be 13 year old. I am terrified that we will hate it..ok more so that my daughter will hate it. My fiance (who is a native Washatonian) currently owns a home in Port Orchard (works on Ft. Lewis) and while I have visited often and I like it and seems like a great place, my concern is the schools and the more rural area of PO where his home is located. My Fiance is always saying how many New Yorkers he runs into, families, etc. but they are mostly military families who are used to moving around (as he was).

I have looked into private schools in Gig Harbor and Bremerton and it seems like that is the route to go for us considering she would be coming from a similar type of school (she currently attends a private catholic school on LI). But I am finding the tuition and expense to be a bit more in Washington tho. The public school in the PO area is not comparable to what we have now.

I am torn between making the move and living a happier and more productive (financially as well as happily) life in Washington and the potential unhappiness of my daughter i.e. leaving her friends, surroundings, etc.

My other concern is the cultural and diversity of the area. Is it lacking in these areas? Here in the Tri-State area a short drive brings you to Philly, Albany, the beaches of Jersey and the entire Northeast. I found that besides Seattle and the mountain or Olympic areas there isn't much else to explore (other state wise).

We are definitely city girls but can appreciate the county life. Just not sure for how long tho.

Any guidance from other transplants and natives would be appreciated. And Ape2014 feel free to email me, its always good to know someone and make friends. Beats being alone in the same situation
I moved here from Pennsylvania not too long ago. I've visited WA many many many times before making the big move. Compared to rural PA, western WA is way more diverse. But coming from NY, it may not seem very diverse to you. Mostly White and Asian.

I'm not familiar with the area you are talking about but I live in Tacoma which is not too far of a drive. Overall, I like it here. More laid back and people aren't as nasty and impatient as back east. And it's way cheaper here than NY too.

It really depends on what you are looking for as far as a better life and what you would be willing to tolerate. It's definately a culture shock that's for sure but if you are willing to adapt, im sure you'll like it here.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:35 PM

104 posts, read 197,010 times
Quote:

My other concern is the cultural and diversity of the area. Is it lacking in these areas? Here in the Tri-State area a short drive brings you to Philly, Albany, the beaches of Jersey and the entire Northeast. I found that besides Seattle and the mountain or Olympic areas there isn't much else to explore (other state wise).
You have portland just a few hours south and vancouver canada a few hours north. That's one thing i missed about the east coast.... easy day trips to different cities and states. WA is a bit more isolated. But there is plenty of natural beauty to make up for it. I'm not a big fan of portland but Seattle has plenty of stuff to do and so does Vancouver canada. You won't think twice about the geographical isolation once you settle in.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:23 PM

38 posts, read 59,588 times
Post A native of the Pacific Northwest I think I can help!

Quote:
Hello everyone, My husband has spent a lot of time in the Bremerton area over the past 3 years. He has been sent to the shipyard over their from here to do various jobs etc. My husband and I have decided to pack up and move that way. What areas within 30 miles of Bremerton are nice to live with a family? I am moving from hampton roads Va and am very excited and nervous at the same time. Has anyone moved to the PNW from the east coast and how do you feel about your decision?
I grew up north of Bremerton on Whidbey Island but currently live in Hampton Roads. My brother lives and works as a civilian on one of the bases doing IT work so I have some personal experience in the Bremerton area. Here is a link to a map of WA showing the crime rates
Washington crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout

I would NOT live in Bremerton because it isn't very safe. My brother's home got broken into twice a few years ago while he wasn't home and they stole a bunch of his stuff. If my husband, kids, and I were moving to that area I would choose #1 Bainbridge Island with its lower crime rate and accessibility to Seattle or #2 Silverdale because it's still a rural but nice area and has a decent mall.

My husband is from upstate NY and I have family on Cape Cod and are considering permanently moving back to WA where we met. You can't beat the summer weather (all 3 weeks of it lol), seafood, and gorgeous landscape. I hope this helps! :ok:

Old 03-12-2014, 04:53 PM

38 posts, read 59,588 times
Default I think I can help

Quote:
Hi Ape2014,

I too am contemplating a move to Washington (Port Orchard area, which is just south of Bremerton. I am a native New Yorker, born and raised, lived here my whole 44 years-I currently reside on Long Island, NY). I too have the very same questions as Ape2014. My situation is a bit different tho. I am a divorced mom of one, 12 soon to be 13 year old. I am terrified that we will hate it..ok more so that my daughter will hate it. My fiance (who is a native Washatonian) currently owns a home in Port Orchard (works on Ft. Lewis) and while I have visited often and I like it and seems like a great place, my concern is the schools and the more rural area of PO where his home is located. My Fiance is always saying how many New Yorkers he runs into, families, etc. but they are mostly military families who are used to moving around (as he was).

I have looked into private schools in Gig Harbor and Bremerton and it seems like that is the route to go for us considering she would be coming from a similar type of school (she currently attends a private catholic school on LI). But I am finding the tuition and expense to be a bit more in Washington tho. The public school in the PO area is not comparable to what we have now.

I am torn between making the move and living a happier and more productive (financially as well as happily) life in Washington and the potential unhappiness of my daughter i.e. leaving her friends, surroundings, etc.

We are definitely city girls but can appreciate the county life. Just not sure for how long tho.

Any guidance from other transplants and natives would be appreciated. And Ape2014 feel free to email me, its always good to know someone and make friends. Beats being alone in the same situation

I totally get where you are coming from in regards to worrying you won't be close to other states and miss out on northeast culture.. My husband is from Upstate NY and we actually met in WA so he always brings that up when we talk about possibly, but more than likely, moving back to WA to raise our kids closer to my side of the family. Since I'm from the west coast but currently live in VA and travel to MA to visit extended family I've never known how convenient it is to live close to other major cities. What I like to tell my husband is, "the kids could be raised on the east coast and have some different cultural opportunities that living in Western Washington could never compete with (simple because the state is large and the only major city nearby for fun activities would be in Portland or Vancouver Canada) BUT they wouldn't have all the special memories and close relationship with their grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins etc." Honestly, I've been to New England more times than I can count and the culture you find in the Pacific Northwest is just different but in a good way- it's heavily military based which means you will meet people from all over the world & your daughter might make friends who have to move away but as a navy brat and now a navy pilot's wife, I'm thankful for my father choosing the set of orders that brought us to WA because I met all kinds of people from all walks of life and appreciated time spent with them and I learned how to adapt! If your not looking for country living I would stay north or east of Seattle. The better school districts are in those two areas. Also, I'm not sure if you mentioned if you've visited and spent time in Western WA but if you can get the chance visit in the winter so you can get a feel of how it will affect you. I describe Western WA weather (I always have to state Western WA opposed to the whole state because east of the Cascade mountains gets all 4 seasons like the East Coast has but it's not humid and is very different politically and culturally..more conservative and rural) as 10 months of rain and wind but it's what makes the landscape so lush and gorgeous when the sun does come out. I spent my childhood playing soccer, volleyball, tennis, going fishing for salmon every year, camping, taking the ferry to Seattle, Bremerton & Whidbey, going to concerts at The Gorge, riding my bike around town, going to the Alderwood mall, "tanning" on the beach at Alki in West Seattle, buying fresh produce... I loved my childhood! If you have any specific questions for me about Western WA please message me! Take care.

Last edited by jhhc99; 03-12-2014 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington