U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 09:23 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,720,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
I don't know if there is evidence or not. I'm no expert. I do feel that it makes common sense that when these type of events are announced, some drivers will think twice about drinking and driving. By default that does make the road safer. It's anecdotal, at best, but it also passes the common sense test. Also, they tend to get substantially more than one or two drivers. There are lots of police actions like this that would be deemed preventitive. Just because you can't measure the benefit doesnt negate their value. Do you know if it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars or was that made up for dramatic effect? I don't know what the cost is, but maybe you have some experience in that field. Bottom line is that this will likely happen and when it does, I'll feel better and I'll be far from alone. Meanwhile the naysayers will have one more thing to grumble and stress about.
Obviously, I made that up for dramatic effect. I don't have the facts, that's why I was asking. And, it's no more dramatic than the Hallmark-movie comments about "if even one life is saved..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 09:49 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,628,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Well, then it's a good thing that this country is supposedly still a democracy and that guys' one vote should count to the same extent as the person who is level-headed enough to actually look at the facts and the economics of implementing something like this.

Yep, but your vote will count too.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:59 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,720,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Yep, but your vote will count too.
I apologize if I sound cold or heartless. I just get really tired of these so-called leaders legislating without knowledge of the subject matter. It is a horrible thing anytime a person loses a loved one to drunk driving, but blind emotion is not the way to create a better country. There has to be a line that can't be crossed when we are talking about individual freedom. Where is the line?

I still remember Diane Feinstein's reply to an audience question last year, about whether an assault weapons ban would make any difference, and she said (I'm paraphrasing) "Remember the children of Newtown. We have to do something".

Old 11-13-2013, 12:01 PM

2,640 posts, read 4,130,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Cat View Post
Appeal to emotion fallacy. Fail.

Sent from my WTF097-357 tin can with a long string.
No, it's an appeal to reality. The reality is that people died, and these kinds of check points can prevent loss if life. Are we so cold now that we don't even care if people continue to die, that our supposed freedom from checkpoints trumps the value of human lives? And if so, why not just end the ban on drunk driving if we think it is not worth the cost to enforce it?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Old 11-13-2013, 12:34 PM

1,981 posts, read 2,806,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
No, it's an appeal to reality. The reality is that people died, and these kinds of check points can prevent loss if life. Are we so cold now that we don't even care if people continue to die, that our supposed freedom from checkpoints trumps the value of human lives?
Why don't we just punish drunk drivers more harshly instead? Why screw over everyone else? DWI laws are so pathetically weak. If you kill someone, you should be locked away for ever instead of being able to get in a car a few years later and kill some more.

We need tough punishment for those who hurt people while under the influence.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:44 PM

2,640 posts, read 4,130,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Why don't we just punish drunk drivers more harshly instead? Why screw over everyone else? DWI laws are so pathetically weak. If you kill someone, you should be locked away for ever instead of being able to get in a car a few years later and kill some more.

We need tough punishment for those who hurt people while under the influence.
I do agree with you 100% on that. Our laws on this are so very weak. I think one drunk driving offense should result in long term loss of license and even jail time. And actually hurting or killing someone should be treated very harshly. I don't know why we don't, it makes no sense!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington