Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 10:41 PM

4 posts, read 16,696 times

Advertisements

Need some reviews of living in Lynden, WA and how kids are treated at the public schools there (Elementary/Middle/High School). I read one review that said if you are Dutch then you are treated better at one of the schools. We're not Dutch so this concerned me. Any female children have problems at the schools with any teachers? That was also another review I read. Not sure if it was an isolated incident that went un-reported. I suppose that could happen any where. Seems like a perfect place to live and raise kids. Second choice is Bellingham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 10:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
it's a good choice if you like discipline and orderly classrooms (which I prefer). I have not heard of bias issues at public schools, and have several friends living there, or moved there explicitly for the schools during k-12. Once the school was complete some of my friends moved back to their hometown communities, which they preferred (and had family).

Lyden certainly isn't the right place for all, especially those who prefer more liberal / experiential schooling / and are contrary to living amongst the 'Reformed'. Some find this offensive... but many also find liberal agenda in Public School offensive, so it is best to know your territory and find a place that fits (You aren't gonna change the place to your perfect likeness in 4-7 yrs). There are many good EDU choices in the region, and plenty of private choices as well. We chose to live internationally and homeschool. It was not ez, but we are pleased with the results. Came back to WA ages 13-15 for kids to design and build their own houses as homeschool projects (to fund their college). Then they went to Running Start (Free college instead of High School... a great WA venue for many kids and parents). It all worked out and we are 15 yrs beyond HS (finally), kids turned out pretty well in spite of the parents (as usual).

Old 02-15-2014, 12:29 AM

1 posts, read 11,395 times
Judging by the way most people from Bellingham and Lynden write online, I would say that the schools are bad. I lived there for ten years and I regretted it immensely. People in Bellingham are openly hostile and racist while the people in Lynden are friendly on the surface only. When they realize you are not Dutch, then you are dismissed. It is a cult town and these people play by their own set of rules. Kinda creepy. I am glad I left. Think twice before you move there.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:43 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc.2014 View Post
People in Bellingham are openly hostile and racist .
Wow. I certainly have never seen this. Liberal towns are not typically racist.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:14 PM

726 posts, read 1,366,263 times
The Dutch do have a separate (Dutch people only) and very noticeable cemetery right off one of the main streets in Lynden.

Strikes me as fairly conservative in politics... no particular draw in my opinion.... you do notice the windmills driving through. Not friendly to transplants from what I've heard. Friendly enough to those passing through though.

Bellingham is extremely different.... much larger, not at all rural in nature (you'll feel like you're living in a city), more liberal culturally, some parks but not overly impressed with most of them.... city parks where you hear traffic while walking through the "woods." The walkway that swings way out over the water is very cool to walk since you feel like you're walking on water.... however, it can get crowded on nice days. I personally found parts of B'ham difficult to navigate... the layout is a bit weird... but I suppose one would get used to that. There are two natural food co-ops... I personally like the newer one on the north end of town better than the older one in the center of town... where parking/navigating is a bear! The Trader Joe's and other stores in B'ham are packed with Canadians buying out the store. Sometimes this can be fun but not when you still can't find a parking space after 15 minutes and you've been rammed in the b-hind with a shopping cart about 10 times (and your shopping cart is stolen)... and everything you came to buy is no longer stocked.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:22 PM

334 posts, read 584,993 times
I did not care for even the children saying "If you're not Dutch, you're not much" but they also chanted that on Whidbey, so it is possibly common in that area. They took great offense to my German surname, which I found surprising and kind of hurtful.

Also, the ban on BBQ'ing or washing your car on Sunday struck me as far too constrained. It was a pretty place, but I found it rigid and closed-off. The winters are very hard!

Old 11-17-2015, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,978 times
Default Bellingham/Lynden

I have lived in northwest Washington State for 22 years. For three years I lived in Bellingham (1996-1999) and for twelve I have lived in Lynden (2003-now). Both places have good things for families. Bellingham is home to a technical college, a community college, and a small university. The political leanings are liberal, as one would expect in a college town. There is some pretty scenery, historic homes, fun/funky local culture, and lovely parks. It is a nice small city with a surprising amount of things to do. That being said, since it is a small city (pop. 82,000) it has some city-ish problems such as vagrancy and some crime (non-violent). Lynden is a smallish town (pop. 12,000) about 18 miles north of Bellingham. There is a certain percentage of people of Dutch descent in Lynden. That said, the "cult" statements made by others have more to do with a couple of church denominations that claim a "Reformed" affiliation. That does not represent the majority. In fact, those of Dutch descent are less than half the township. But grouping all individuals into one category is unfair and inaccurate and reflects a bigoted attitude. I am not Dutch, but I know plenty of nice, normal people who are and make wonderful neighbors along with all kinds of other great people. Small towns are what they are: small cross-sections of the larger culture. Some people are weird, some are rude, some are kind, some are wonderful. I am a global traveler and have lived and traveled abroad extensively. I chose to settle here because of the civic pride, low (almost non-existent) crime, and affordable homes. My kids could walk anywhere and play outside into the wee hours of a summer night and were safe. There are many quaint homes and real estate is about 10-15% lower than Bellingham. When my youngest graduates from high school, she plans to have the town's global coordinates tattooed on her inner wrist so she "can always remember where I come from." I have no regrets about moving here.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:50 AM

104 posts, read 133,289 times
@ sweetnesstoo... So glad to read your post / perspective here. Have been considering a move to that area for quite some time. What you have written and described left a positive impression, so thank you for sharing.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:09 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Ok you wanted the negative too...keep your daughters (and sons) away from crazy Lynden area dairy farmers. Seriously I lived in Everson for a few years (been 20 years) and worked on a dairy farm for a while, and knew people from other farms. They were some of the wildest, lying stealing, drug-crazed, half-decent half-despicable people I've ever known and I've known a lot of strange characters. They were quite the contrast to the lilly-white conservative Christian image Lynden tries to project.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:04 PM

388 posts, read 473,702 times
Lynden is a small-minded town. I can't stand it.

Many of the family neighborhoods are near cattle farms. Quite the odor there. If you choose to live there, visit any potential home a few times at different times of day and directions of wind.

Lynden is also what I call "churchy." If you are not an active member of a church, you are out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington