U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 02:42 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,015,700 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Tacoma in a month a half and currently looking at a place near Cheney Stadium.

Both my wife and I are from Washington State and lived there for most of our lives, but neither of us have spent much time in Tacoma (we're moving to that city so that we can be close to both of our families)

What's the general vibe of that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 01:25 AM

2,687 posts, read 1,597,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
We're moving to Tacoma in a month a half and currently looking at a place near Cheney Stadium.

Both my wife and I are from Washington State and lived there for most of our lives, but neither of us have spent much time in Tacoma (we're moving to that city so that we can be close to both of our families)

What's the general vibe of that area?
I guess that kind of depends on what side of the freeway you're on. There's Oakland-Madrona, which is a little more of a poorer place I guess you could say, it's the area around Center Street between Union and Tyler (which leads from Center to 19th and Cheney Stadium and becomes Stevens Street from 19th northward). That's South of Highway 16. Over near 19th (north of Highway 16, you'll pass under 16 while driving on Tyler near Foss High School) is pretty nice in my opinion, I like the area. I always shop at the Fred Meyer on 19th right across from Cheney and I like it. Basically, I'd say this: Stay to the west of Tyler/Stevens Street at least until you hit 12th Street and you'll likely be in a pretty good neighborhood. East of Tyler/Stevens gets a little sketchy rather quickly. Not the worst place in Tacoma, not even close, just a little sketchy. If you live along the 19th Street corridor be careful, it's busier street than you might imagine, it has access to Highway 16 and further to the west, where 19th meets Mildred Street, there's Tacoma Community College so you'll probably have a lot of students commuting up and down 19th when school's in session.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:22 AM

21 posts, read 25,543 times
It depends on what part of Tacoma that you are in. Some parts are as nice as parts of Seattle and some parts are not very good. The Proctor District of the north end is pretty nice but it might be a little expensive. Ruston and the area around near Point Defiance Park is nice but not great. Some houses have great views. University Place is nice which is not part of Tacoma officially but is borders on it to the north and east. I would say that the best areas are in north of Sixth Avenue or in University Place but the housing is more expensive. The area by the University of Puget Sound is pretty nice which close to the Proctor District.

I grew up about 5 blocks from Point Defiance Park. The neighbor that I grew up in was blue collar and still might be. A lot of people worked at the Smelter which was about 6 blocks away but it torn down 10 or more years ago.

Rick

Old 01-16-2014, 11:31 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,015,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
I guess that kind of depends on what side of the freeway you're on. There's Oakland-Madrona, which is a little more of a poorer place I guess you could say, it's the area around Center Street between Union and Tyler (which leads from Center to 19th and Cheney Stadium and becomes Stevens Street from 19th northward). That's South of Highway 16. Over near 19th (north of Highway 16, you'll pass under 16 while driving on Tyler near Foss High School) is pretty nice in my opinion, I like the area. I always shop at the Fred Meyer on 19th right across from Cheney and I like it. Basically, I'd say this: Stay to the west of Tyler/Stevens Street at least until you hit 12th Street and you'll likely be in a pretty good neighborhood. East of Tyler/Stevens gets a little sketchy rather quickly. Not the worst place in Tacoma, not even close, just a little sketchy. If you live along the 19th Street corridor be careful, it's busier street than you might imagine, it has access to Highway 16 and further to the west, where 19th meets Mildred Street, there's Tacoma Community College so you'll probably have a lot of students commuting up and down 19th when school's in session.
Good to hear, the bolded part here is pretty much exactly the area that we are looking at.
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington