Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:46 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I'm from Tennessee and I can see some similarities. One very noticeable difference is that when I go for a bike ride in the county here, I don't experience constant harassment just for being on a bicycle. In TN I eventually stopped going for long bike rides because it wasn't worth the risk of being assaulted.
Wait - are you saying a person on a bike in Tennessee could get harassed or assaulted? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 12:40 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,672,180 times
Bits of Kitsap county have a very southern feel, as does Snohomish county once you get away from the western cities. I swear that some of them are intentionally aping the accents from Duck Dynasty now.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:24 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
However, Wenatchee has a large population of "old" Arkies. Some of those expressions must have carried over....let me think.
I was going to mention this when I read the OP's first post. The immigrants to Washington from Arkansas were the "migrant workers" of the '60's and '70's, moving here for the orchard labor, etc. Some of those guys moved up to the upper echelons of the orchard business and a couple of them are now some of the richest guys in Chelan county. And the guys I know still have the Arkie accent.

However, I'm not Southern, but I don't think Arkansas counts as Dixie.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:05 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I was going to mention this when I read the OP's first post. The immigrants to Washington from Arkansas were the "migrant workers" of the '60's and '70's, moving here for the orchard labor, etc. Some of those guys moved up to the upper echelons of the orchard business and a couple of them are now some of the richest guys in Chelan county. And the guys I know still have the Arkie accent.

However, I'm not Southern, but I don't think Arkansas counts as Dixie.
It's well south of the Mason-Dixon line though, which is Dixie's namesake.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:12 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,551 times
Although there may be some superficial similarities, Whatcom, Skagit, and the Olympic Peninsula are very different than the south imo. What would be considered "conservative" in these rural WA areas, would be considered "liberal" or even "very liberal" in the south. Although there are plenty of churches to choose from if you lean this way, rural WA communities don't seem to revolve around churches and their social activities as you find in most rural parts of the south. There is also less emphasis on local food and natural food in the south. "Outdoor activities" are also much more broadly defined in rural WA than in the south. Lots of other cultural differences too. Far more open-minded in the rural WA but more "practical" than you find in some areas that are known for open-mindedness (if that makes sense!).

Old 01-22-2014, 05:00 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Most of them came a little earlier than the 60's or 70's. Some of them became pretty powerful politicians.

When we first moved to Wenatchee I was surprised at how welcoming the community was to farm workers and transient population. It definitely was different to what I saw in other communities.

I kept looking for a explanation....from religion to education, etc. etc.

I kept running into people that were very well off and found out that the landed in the community as farm workers. So they never forgot that there but by the grace of God go I.

I guess good people begat other good people in more ways than one.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:37 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Wait - are you saying a person on a bike in Tennessee could get harassed or assaulted? Why?
I never could quite figure out what must have been going through the minds of all the people who harassed me on a weekly basis, but for the three or so years I commuted to work by bike there I was constantly being honked at, yelled at, having things thrown at me, etc. And I'm not some reckless cyclist, nor was I frequently holding anyone up due to my slower speed. I was (and am) pretty smart about my route and extremely attentive. Very rarely would I inconvenience motorists, and in fact often times drivers would honk or yell at me from the opposite side of the road.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:46 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
I noticed a similar thing when I'd go running off campus at LSU.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:57 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I never could quite figure out what must have been going through the minds of all the people who harassed me on a weekly basis, but for the three or so years I commuted to work by bike there I was constantly being honked at, yelled at, having things thrown at me, etc. And I'm not some reckless cyclist, nor was I frequently holding anyone up due to my slower speed. I was (and am) pretty smart about my route and extremely attentive. Very rarely would I inconvenience motorists, and in fact often times drivers would honk or yell at me from the opposite side of the road.
One time I was minding my own business walking home at night here in Portland and some prick threw eggs at me. He's lucky I didn't have him in for assault, it was surprisingly pretty painful. I think some drivers feel like they are hot sh*t compared to people who aren't on the road.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:16 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
One time I was minding my own business walking home at night here in Portland and some prick threw eggs at me. He's lucky I didn't have him in for assault, it was surprisingly pretty painful. I think some drivers feel like they are hot sh*t compared to people who aren't on the road.
I had a banana thrown at me once. I don't think people realize how much even a soft or fragile item can hurt when thrown from a moving car. Or maybe they do realize it and they're just terrible people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington