Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 03:29 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times

Advertisements

I always find it surprising how people in Whatcom County seem to have southern influenced accents being it's a stone's throw from Canada. I've heard like a lot of people from the Appalachians moved there, like Loretta Lynn's family because of the logging industry.

Are there towns in Washington that could pass for somewhere in North Carolina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 03:32 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times
Maybe a little. I'm from the south and now live in whatcom county (like out in the county) and there's a definite difference. I'd say it's more country out here than dixie. Maybe towards baker it's a little more mountain folk. None of the towns in Whatcom could pass for North Carolina though IMO.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:56 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
I'm from NC and often go to Bellingham. In my opinion, the people sound Canadian. I don't hear an appalachian sound at all. However, rural areas in WA are similar to rural areas in NC (or rual U.S. in fact) in many other ways.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I wouldn't go as far as to even consider any part of this state to be at all "dixie" or "Appalachian," but the closest I have seen are all in Western WA, in the cascade foothills like Concrete, Sultan, parts of North Bend, and closer in, Sedro-Woolley, and on the Olympic Pennisula Joyce and Forks.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:25 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
People in Eastern WA call their cars "rigs", that's southern enough sounding for me.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:51 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Nope, that comes from the Rocky Mountains. It is not that far from eastern Washington to the Rockies. Part of ne Washington is in the Rockies.

From the dictionary

2. Special equipment or gear used for a particular purpose.
a. A truck or tractor.
b. A tractor-trailer.
c. A vehicle with one or more horses harnessed to it.
4. The special apparatus used for drilling oil wells.
5. Western U.S. See saddle.

I always thought rig referred to trucks NOT cars.

The expression "what's your rig" always assumes that YOU like most normal working people drive a TRUCK.

However, Wenatchee has a large population of "old" Arkies. Some of those expressions must have carried over....let me think.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Nope, that comes from the Rocky Mountains. It is not that far from eastern Washington to the Rockies. Part of ne Washington is in the Rockies.

From the dictionary

2. Special equipment or gear used for a particular purpose.
a. A truck or tractor.
b. A tractor-trailer.
c. A vehicle with one or more horses harnessed to it.
4. The special apparatus used for drilling oil wells.
5. Western U.S. See saddle.

I always thought rig referred to trucks NOT cars.

The expression "what's your rig" always assumes that YOU like most normal working people drive a TRUCK.

However, Wenatchee has a large population of "old" Arkies. Some of those expressions must have carried over....let me think.
No, I know it's of local origination, but it sounds "country" to me.

I've heard Honda Civics referred to as rigs. Awhile back, on the Spokane forum I posted links to craigslist ads for "rigs" that were regular sedans/etc.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:44 PM

323 posts, read 448,669 times
Default Tarheels in Skagit County

Many of the people that settled the upper Skagit Valley for logging in the early 20th century were from North Carolina. The Lyman-Hamilton little league team was called the Tarheels, might still be. The settlers have passed away but their children picked up the accent and are still around.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:27 AM

385 posts, read 1,112,339 times
I think I saw a rebel flag in a rural part of the Olympic Peninsula. Being in Forks reminded me a lot of the South. People spend a lot of time hunting and fishing. Felt actually more isolated than most parts of the South, though.

Skagit and Whatcom counties have a rural feeling and sometimes the mountains superficially resemble the Appalachians. I think towns like Mt. Vernon and Burlington have a similar feel to NC to me. Seem like sleepy rurual towns. The Skagit valley kind of reminds me of parts of the Smokies.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:18 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I'm from Tennessee and I can see some similarities. One very noticeable difference is that when I go for a bike ride in the county here, I don't experience constant harassment just for being on a bicycle. In TN I eventually stopped going for long bike rides because it wasn't worth the risk of being assaulted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington