Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 12:44 PM

21 posts, read 33,629 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Not sure if this is better suited for another forum location such as Spokane (too far north?), but Tri-Cities seems like it’s too far west, so suggestions on moving it elsewhere are welcome.

Previously I had posted about a possible move in the general vicinity, but although the original job did not materialize, another one may be offered farther to the east. Unfortunately I know nothing about the area other than what I see on google earth, and what I see is vast amounts of unoccupied land with a bare sprinkling of human population here and there. I received some feedback on the previous post for which I am appreciative of, but this area is even farther east making a commute to/from the Tri-Cities probably unreasonable.

I’m looking at working at a location near the Snake River that is about 65 miles north ofWalla Walla, 85 miles west of Pullman, 125 miles south of Spokane. Where would be a reasonable place to look for a home as well as the spouse getting a new job, possibly with a school system?

For understanding, "my" definition of reasonable is housing that is 25 years old or newer (not an 1800's farm house), basic shopping availability similar to the availability of choice of items such as what I can buy at Walmart and Lowes, movie theater would be nice but not necessary, and not much more than a couple of hours drive to mountains/forests. These are not set in stone items, just my preferences.

I’d like to avoid living in a van down by the river like Matt Foley… (SNL – 1993)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 11:07 AM

8,426 posts, read 8,638,383 times
Would Pomeroy (or within 20 miles of it) work? About 1500 people. http://www.city-data.com/city/Pomeroy-Washington.html More rain and near some forest. Walla Walla or Lewiston ID within reach on the weekends.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:10 PM

6,321 posts, read 6,965,641 times
65 miles north of Walla Walla puts you way on the other side of the Snake River.

Do you have a approximate lat-long for your job location? I am guessing that your somewhere around Hollenbeke area. Of course, if your job is with the Corps of Engineers you would be at one of the dams.

Housing less than 25 years old might definitely be a problem.

I hunt birds in the area. The problem in that area is most roads are fairly slow traveling once you start approaching the river.

Waitsburg is a nice town. Depending on your job location that might be the best commute location.

Need a more definitive location to help you.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:47 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,252,402 times
Yeah, there ain't much in that area.

Do either Dayton or Pomeroy have a Wal-mart?

Old 01-18-2014, 07:37 PM

No.

How do you define "much"? It is a pretty cool part of the state.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:24 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,252,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
No.

How do you define "much"? It is a pretty cool part of the state.
Ummmm, I defined "much" by inferring what the OP was interested in. Partially from this quote "basic shopping availability similar to the availability of choice of items such as what I can buy at Walmart and Lowes, movie theater would be nice but not necessary, and not much more than a couple of hours drive to mountains/forests".

Therefore, amenities and forests seemed key on his/her list - and like I said, there ain't much of either of those in that area.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:07 PM

Thank you for the feedback so far!

Since my original post I am realizing that my options regarding "what I would like/prefer" are less likely to be found without a serious commute every day. I am looking at the Little Goose Dam area as my commuting to/from point.

If this does come to pass, I may be looking at having a long commute from near Pullman or Lewiston simply because the size of the town would likely work out better for my wife and adult children to find suitable employment and continuing college studies. I'd say that at the moment I'm leaning towards living east-northeast of Little Goose for the above reasons plus closer proximity to forest, mountains, and snow (yes-snow is a plus for me).

It was mentioned above by 509 that the travel is "most roads are fairly slow traveling once you start approaching the river". Would I be looking at needing a 4x4 truck on these roads? I have a Mazda 3 and although it handles great and hugs the road like glue, the ground clearance is not all that much.

Either way it looks like I'm in for a lifestyle change from central Missouri semi-urban to really really rural. I also have Verizon as my cell carrier and their coverage map pretty much has a big hole in that area. Would I be correct in thinking that cell phone coverage around Little Goose is weak to non-existent?

Any continuing advice/suggestions, or more general info on the area would be greatly appreciated!!! Not that anything I see is going to be a deal breaker for me, I'm obviously just trying to avoid (as much as possible) the "I really wish I knew THAT before...." surprises. I know I may be coming off of looking like I don't have a clue to what the area is like and I'm hoping that through this forum I can start to get a clue.

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2014, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,734 times
Squid,

Honestly, from where you are looking at having your commute from....you could live IN walla walla and have the same hour and a half drive time to little goose as you would from Lewiston/Pullman.

Personally....for the best mix of things....I would live in Dayton. 40 minutes from the damn....40 minutes from Walla Walla if you want to get to places like Home Depot, Wal-mart, its around 40k people, so think of it like that. you are also an hour to the Tri Cities (Kennewick, Pasco, Richland) which is about 200k people combined, and has every store or shopping you could need.

Dayton is also backed right up against the Blues (Blue Mountains) and you can be up in the snow in no time. I have to drive through Dayton to get my sleds up to play in the powder when I want to go up and play.

Edited to say, yeah...in the middle of the state you are going to get crappy cell service unless you are with someone regional. And you don't need a truck to get to little goose.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:13 PM

I spend at least two weeks every year at Little Goose Dam. The nearest town, to the dam is Starbuck with Dayton being quite a bit further away. There does not appear to be any government housing at the dam. Talking to COE employees it sounded like there might be a COE commuting pool from Dayton. There is not even a Starbucks in Starbuck (see end of blog posting for additional information).usbackroads™: Texas Rapids, Snake River , Starbuck, Washington

For college you do want to be close to Pullman/Moscow. I would look at splitting the difference between the dam and Pullman and commute both ways. Look at Google maps. You can drive to the dam from the town of Hay on the north side of the river. It is good gravel road. Your Mazda is fine for the roads. They are "more curvy" as you approach the river.

When we lived in a small community we planned to spend one weekend a month in a larger town shopping at Costco and going to concerts, etc. Usually, spent two nights in a motel. That was fun. You might want to consider that strategy as opposed to living and commuting long distances every day.

Verizon is your best bet for service in the area. It is mostly up and down, depending whether your up and down. When the roads get up in the ridge tops you get service and when your down in the valley you do not get service. Little Goose Dam does not have service.....well it does. In one of my photos you can see the external antenna sticking out the 5th wheel. It worked for phone, but not data. I would just buy a external antenna and amplifier for the cell phone. It does come in handy in that country.

The area is rural, but nothing like Montana or Wyoming. There is plenty of traffic on the roads. Lots of folks living in the area, just little in the way of shopping in the little burgs.

Plenty of recreation opportunities along the river. Don't get fixated on trees. They just block the views. That said this corner of Washington is great. Your next door to Idaho and even Montana is a great jaunt over Highway 12.

My advice....if you get the job. Show up two weeks early and talk to people at the dam about commuting and places to live. Then drive the roads and look at the communities. You have lots of choices, and they are ALL a distance from the dam. Drive the road from Hay to the dam. That's a sleeper it might get you close enough to Pullman for your family.

Here are postings from my blog on the area. Mostly about hunting but take a look at the pictures for an idea of what your getting into. It is a great part of Washington. Would have been my first choice if we had not landed in Wenatchee.

usbackroads™: Grateful Dead Mule Deer, Green Pheasants, and other hunting tales from the Snake River

usbackroads™: Unleashing the Inner Dog.....

usbackroads™: Snake River Invasive Avian Species Project

usbackroads™: Little Goose Dam, Starbuck, Washington

Old 01-24-2014, 07:48 AM

WallaWallaJim, 509 –

Thank you very much for the feedback, it is definitely helpful. Thanks for the pictures, they're great. Still waiting to see if this is a green light. Still not knowing what I'm going to do with the family. Either settle them in an area where there are job opportunities / college in line with their needs and I have a long a@@ commute or closer for my convenience but likely having an overall negative effect on them plus a likely decrease in overall family income.

Decisions, decisions... I will post back to either close this thread (didn’t get the job), or to have a dozen more questions to ask.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington