Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 08:01 AM

20 posts, read 65,126 times

Advertisements

We are considering a parcel of land that is CHEAP and has a small patch of wetlands and mostly hydric soils. The 30K price tag (in Onalaska) makes it worth it for the 1.5 flat acres high and dry (buildable, perks fine, up a hill) so the remaining 8.5 low-lying acres are just extra to us, but I am curious what we can do with them if anything. The neighbor with an almost identical parcel has cleared the vegetation from the hydric soils and is growing hay. On the other side, they run cattle. Is this illegal? The codes for wetlands are pretty specific (don't touch them!) and I want to be a good steward, but what can I do on hydric soils? I've been searching for data but can't find much on the web. Can I do some raised garden beds? Can I dig a little ditch to drain a little area to run chickens, or will that land me in jail? Are inspectors going to be coming out all the time? I'm from Phoenix so I know nothing about water. Any personal experiences would be so helpful! Moving and building seem so daunting to us but we want to move to the country so badly! Yes, I know it would be better to buy dry land but even small parcels cost twice as much and the 1.5 acres will be plenty for the house. Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 08:16 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
Contact the Lewis County Community Development office and ask them.

Community Development
2025 NE Kresky Avenue
Chehalis WA 98532
(360) 740-1146

Old 01-28-2014, 08:18 AM

Thanks! I'll do that this morning.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I had a similar piece at exit 72 (South Chehalis)

It had a shallow irrigation well punched in, and was fully accessible / usable during garden / hay season.

BE SURE to understand the 'set-backs' before you think you can build something. (Never listen to a realtor or land seller... get the facts from the 'Horse')

Talk to the sanitation people also (As part of your due diligence). You MUST be sure about the building envelope and access to the ENTIRE property. Gravity systems are no longer allowed in my area of WA. ( I have several 40 yr old systems that have performed flawlessly). Remember this is a very abnormally dry year. Some of those parcels are 'land locked' in winter due to rising water tables and poor drainage. It will really be helpful to have clear land around the wetland area to allow wind and sun to dry it up.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:26 AM

Thanks, StealthRabbit. That's very helpful information. Talking to Community Development was worthless. I asked if you could plant or graze cattle on hydric soils. She said hydric soils indicate that wetlands are present so we need to get a wetland delineation. She said we have to be there in person to show the "delineator" the building site. She talked in circles and wouldn't answer the question about hydric soils, saying she could help us after we had the survey done. Before we spend the $500 to $1000 getting the delineation, I just want to know what can be done on hydric soils POST-survey. I'm already pretty sure that there are minimal wetlands--just mostly hydric soils. If they turn out to not be wetlands, can I just do anything on them? Are there hydric soil restrictions too? She couldn't give me a straight answer. Then we asked about a title search and she referred us to another office who referred us back to her office. So basically I am here pleading for the experiences of normal people to see if we should even consider this parcel or if we should just move along.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:34 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
I actually built a house about 8 years ago in Onalaska, and we had some wetlands to contend with. You need to have a wetland study from an person who is approved by the county to conduct these studies, and then map out the set-back amount (whatever that is now in feet) to determine where you can build. As far as what you can do with the wetlands or hydric soils - basically nothing, other than "improve" it, which means putting in a pond for ducks and frogs and stuff. If your neighbor has pasture on their wetland, then they are doing it illegally, or more than likely, they were grandfathered in (i.e. they owned the land and were using it for pasture before the wetland codes went into effect).

And you're right - talking to the County Planning Agency or any other county official is more than worthless. I remember asking them questions that seemed like average, everyday, home-building-related questions (they are the planning department, after all), and they would look at me like I had three eyes on my deformed noggin. It's pretty clear that the County employees get paid whether they actually help the citizens of the county or not - they don't care one way or the other.

Also, I would second Stealthrabbit's idea of talking to Goode and Co., or one of the other septic installers in Lewis County - you will get much more straight-forward answers from them.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:34 PM

I used a wetlands guy that worked out of WA Mobile Homes dealer (Near Kmart). He was very inexpensive and fair... He used to work for the Lewis County and helped me navigate the county bureaucracy (which is trivial compared to most 'populous' counties in WA). Setbacks are HUGE these days (like 300').

Personally... Unless this property is ideal for other reasons (view / access / location / ultra cheap (but useable)... I would look for another property. I only buy what I'm sure I can resell easily... and for a profit (needs to be at LEAST 10% just to break even).

Wetlands scare me a bit, but I have been successful at selling them at the right time.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:21 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Wetlands scare me a bit
I couldn't agree more. Even in a conservative county in Western WA, those setbacks are never going to get any shorter. They will probably get worse over the years.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I used a wetlands guy that worked out of WA Mobile Homes dealer (Near Kmart). He was very inexpensive and fair... He used to work for the Lewis County and helped me navigate the county bureaucracy (which is trivial compared to most 'populous' counties in WA).
I don't want to be a pest but I've been looking on Google Earth for the location/guy you mentioned and could it be Dan Miller from Moerke & Sons on NW State Ave. in Chehalis? We're going to go ahead and get a wetlands assessment done. I don't want you to go through old paperwork or anything but if that name rings a bell as being the guy, I'd feel better using the company. Thanks for your great advice!

Last edited by Count David; 01-29-2014 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: fixed quoting

Old 01-29-2014, 02:27 PM

No it was not Dan, and not through Moerke & Sons. (they are usually fine)
give the these guys a call and ask for referrals
(360) 740-4212 (Housing Mart @ Exit 72)
Get a list from Lewis County Environment Dept.

I won't have ability to look through the paperwork. I just torched it on 1 Jan (it was 8 yrs old - POOF gone)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: