U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 10:22 PM

562 posts, read 689,947 times

Advertisements

We hope to be headed this way this year and like what we've googled so far. There are always new things to learn when you move somewhere new that you don't necessarily find online... (We've never been to WA and have two young kids)
What are some things you wish you knew (good or bad) about WA (in general or specific to these areas)?
What kind of insects/wildlife/plants can one expect to encounter? Specifically, anything poisonous/dangerous to look out for?
Is Anacortes more or less desirable than Mt. Vernon/Burlington?
Notoriously dangerous/rough looking neighborhoods?
Area specific laws I might not know about?

Hoping for some unique advice/info! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 11:25 PM

51 posts, read 86,456 times
Lived in anacortes for 4 years before moving 8 months ago. General consensus that anacortes is more desirable than mt Vernon Burlington. Your on an island and the potential for a view home of the San Juans or Mt Baker is spectacular.

No crime to worry about other than petty theft. I know some people that don't lock their doors.

The school system is well respected as well.

If you travel their for a scouting trip you need to visit: Washington park, deception pass bridge, views of the city from Cap Sante. My favorite sandwich shop is Gere-a-deli and we loved the BBQ food at Dad's diner with both a food cart mad cafe in town.

Good luck as it is a nice place to raise a family, just look out for the older retires that may be dangerous drivers as it is a retirement town.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:43 PM

3,230 posts, read 3,892,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaMommy View Post
What kind of insects/wildlife/plants can one expect to encounter? Specifically, anything poisonous/dangerous to look out for?
We have black widow spiders, usually outdoors (or in infrequently-disturbed corners of the garage). The snakes are not dangerous.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:44 AM

300 posts, read 160,304 times
Anacortes considered more desirable than Mount Vernon, which is having a hard time with crime, sprawl. Although I think the Skagit Valley is incredibly beautiful.

I do not know of any poisonous things that cannot be avoided. For example, you can encounter dead jellyfish, and stinging nettles.

There are many garter snakes and they can bite, but they won't bite if you are not picking them up, putting them up to your nose, etc. Don't ask me how I know they can bite!

Old 01-31-2014, 10:48 AM

3,230 posts, read 3,892,259 times
Anacortes does have a lower crime rate than Mount Vernon, but both are fine. Burlington doesn't have as many nice residential areas to choose from. It's more of a place to shop than a place to live.

My suggestion is that you choose an area close to where you/your husband will be working. If you will be going to Seattle (or pretty much anywhere) regularly, it's a good idea to stay close to the freeway, unless you prefer driving over family time.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:22 PM

Thank you all for the info. Very helpful. From what I have found, no one has much bad to say about it.

One last question... We are in Arizona right now... (we used to be from the northwest). I almost forgot to ask about mosquitoes and flies. I imagine you have them with all the rain/stagnant water. Is it really bad? Anyone able to compare them to how they are in the NE? I don't miss them at all and at least hope they aren't too obnoxious there, and seasonal...

Old 02-04-2014, 11:33 AM

145 posts, read 86,394 times
Default Not that I've found

We've visited twice in Washington state. Once for a month from late July to mid August. Our son had an outdoor wedding and I was surprised at how few bugs there were. And we were up and down the I5 to Lincoln City then out to Spokane. Same thing.

Then this year we went in June and the same thing. Few if any bugs bothered us. I am sure in other spots there must be some, but compared to Virginia, it's wonderful.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:54 PM

300 posts, read 160,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaMommy View Post
Thank you all for the info. Very helpful. From what I have found, no one has much bad to say about it.

One last question... We are in Arizona right now... (we used to be from the northwest). I almost forgot to ask about mosquitoes and flies. I imagine you have them with all the rain/stagnant water. Is it really bad? Anyone able to compare them to how they are in the NE? I don't miss them at all and at least hope they aren't too obnoxious there, and seasonal...
No, no, no! You will rarely find a mosquito. I found one in four years. I think it was lost.

No flies at all did I find. However, when hiking, beware yellow jackets and the like.

You will not have fleas. It is too cold for fleas on pets, in general. Once found some poor baby bunnies who were crawling with fleas but never had a flea on any of our many pets. Did not see a roach. Did see huge Norway rats which were quite a sight.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:11 PM

Oops. Meant to say we are from the north east, not the north west. Duh.
That sounds wonderful! Sounds like the perfect place really. Not hearing much bad! =)

Thank you everyone for being so helpful!!! (Are people this nice in person in Anacortes? That'll be a nice change! lol)

Old 02-06-2014, 01:28 AM

382 posts, read 213,840 times
The nice thing about Anacortes is it really feels like a place unto its own. They have an interesting economy based on the local Shell refinery, yacht building, fishing, and ship rehabilitation (there's a cool facility on the north side of town that rebuilds small-to-modest sized ocean-going vessels). I do kind of wish that they hadn't torn up the railroad into town, or would at least get their toy narrow-gauge RR up and running again, but overall the place feels a lot more 'real' than, say, Port Townsend or Gig Harbor or Friday Harbor, all of which (to me) seem like slightly-varying takes on the same tourist trap.

Houses can be kind of expensive, which is somewhat perplexing given Anacortes' isolation. My husband and I toured a new development of 1300-1600 square foot houses going up near the ferry terminal on the north end of town last weekend, and were shocked to find out that the lowest prices in the neighborhood were $500,000. They were nice little homes to be sure... but half a million for a 1300 square foot house with an obstructed view of the Sound? No thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington