U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 04:12 PM

2,303 posts, read 1,990,306 times

Advertisements

The 50 Safest Cities in Washington - SafeWise

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree? Surprised?

I think there are a few that probably don't belong on there, but what do I know I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 04:46 PM

6,549 posts, read 11,111,154 times
Let me put in a good word for what they said about Kennewick and the Crime Resistance education by the police. It is actually a joint program with the Richland and Kennewick Departments. I attended it. (It convinced me just to stay out of residential real estate, but that's okay too.) Both police chiefs attended, showing support and being available to meet in person and talk.

They brought in highly knowledgeable people, from undercover narcs to real estate attorneys. They taught how to deal with tagging, how to spot potential drug lab stuff, and above all how to make a property less of a crime target. Some of the most proactive and helpful police work I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. I walked away feeling much better educated, and confident that the police had a good understanding of how to combat the problem and sought the community's help.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:51 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,712,205 times
The only comment in the article about how the author got the data was that she "combined independent research with the 2012 FBI Crime Report" - that seems a little vague to me. Was the "independent research" just the author picking her favorite cities and then kind of comparing them to the FBI list?

I will say that the author must have put a lot of work into that article. And that the list seems fairly accurate, despite my complaining.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:15 PM

244 posts, read 221,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Let me put in a good word for what they said about Kennewick and the Crime Resistance education by the police.

They brought in highly knowledgeable people, from undercover narcs to real estate attorneys.
Well I was pleased to see all four of the Tri-Cities on the list as I have been considering moving to one of them. It's nice to hear that they're using undercover narcs rather than just submitting to Washington's drug problems.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:01 AM

6,549 posts, read 11,111,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
Well I was pleased to see all four of the Tri-Cities on the list as I have been considering moving to one of them. It's nice to hear that they're using undercover narcs rather than just submitting to Washington's drug problems.
TC doesn't have significant drug problems. It was several years ago, but during that class, in addition to bringing in a whole bunch of meth ingredients so we'd know what to look for laying around as worrisome signs, they also told us that it's become cheaper and safer to bring it in rather than cook it in the TC. In any case, in my sixteen years there, I saw minimal evidence of serious drug problems, and there was not one street in the region I felt nervous to drive down, or walk down, at any hour. I was more nervous about being randomly tailed by the police driving down Columbia Drive at night, simply because driving down the street is not grounds to tail me and I'm generally nervous about the police.

If the KPD wanted to catch tweakers, all they'd really have to do is hang out an undercover outside the smoke shop I used to buy from. Some of the people going in there looked a little off. But none of them ever did me any harm.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:24 PM

320 posts, read 353,472 times
It seems strange to separate and isolate College Place from Walla Walla (which didn't even make the list). The two may be separate entities, but you would never know if you lived the area. In terms of practical, everyday living, they constitute one single, small city.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,845 posts, read 44,594,065 times
Having been to Steilacoom a few times I was a bit surprised, and one of the few places where I have experienced a crime was Brier, so that surprised me too.
I think the tri-cities are under appreciated. Last time I was down there I was impressed with how much better it seems now than 10-15 years ago, I just don't like the hotter, drier weather.

Happy to see that I live in #2 on the list.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:46 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,712,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post
It seems strange to separate and isolate College Place from Walla Walla (which didn't even make the list). The two may be separate entities, but you would never know if you lived the area. In terms of practical, everyday living, they constitute one single, small city.
Yeah, that's one point that always makes me wonder about the reliability of these lists that are created by "combining" references in some non-scientific way.

In addition to Walla Walla/College Place, you could say that East Wenatchee is the same way - I don't know what rank Wenatchee is on this list, but if Wenatchee is on the higher-crime-side of this list, then it makes East Wenatchee's relative "safety" nothing more than semantics.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,857 times
Well they are right as far as Grant County …crime still sucks here and has actually increased

Old 02-09-2014, 04:04 PM

2,117 posts, read 4,105,853 times
I'm surprised Port Townsend was so far down the list. Our crime rate is extremely low. I've met a number of people here who lost their house keys decades ago and have never bothered to replace them. I wouldn't go that far, but there are mornings I get up and find I forgot to lock my doors the night before and it's just an "oops!" moment. And I'm a single woman who lives alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington