U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a theme park/resort be built in the PNW?
Yes 6 50.00%
Yes, but build onto an existing resort that doesnt currently have a theme park 0 0%
No 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 PM

178 posts, read 305,695 times

Advertisements

Lets face it. Washington State has no major theme park. Wild Waves has hardly any rides, and is a ripoff for what you get. The Puyallup fair is awesome but only runs in September and a bit of april. There are many resorts in the area, but none of them are theme parks. With the PNW limited theme-park wise to Silverwood, Something needs to be done to bring one here. There would be plenty of companies and moguls to help fund it. So lets say one was to be built. I think it would be cool to build one on a private island in the san juans, where you could take a boat to this unique resort, with some hi-tech rides, restaurants, a winery, and lots of other good stuff. It could be Northwest themed even! I'd like to hear what other people could think of. Just let me know why or why not a nice theme park/resort should be built in the PNW. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 08:20 PM

7,022 posts, read 11,683,785 times
Six Flags already tried to set one up and were unsuccessful.

If there were plenty of companies and moguls to fund it, then it would've already been built. You're going to have a grand time trying to convince investors that such projects could work in Wa (bad weather, expensive real estate, unwilling population, etc). They'd most likely have more success working with the tribes closest to i5 but it's a matter of getting those investors in.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,846 posts, read 44,594,065 times
Did you forget Great Wolf Lodge? With our weather, anything has to be indoors. I am amazed that Wild Waves can make a profit being open for such a short season.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:16 PM

5,076 posts, read 7,161,539 times
Weed World?

Old 02-24-2014, 10:16 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,712,948 times
I agree with Hemlock that Western WA's weather is too crappy to support a real, full-sized theme park. And I can't think of anywhere in Eastern WA with a dense enough population close-by to support one.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:47 PM

178 posts, read 305,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Weed World?
Haha yeah I definitely have thought about that. And to everybody considering the weather, you have to realize that a theme park could easily be open may-September here. And maybe even longer if it didn't focus only on rides or had indoor rides. Say it had a laser dome(but much different then the one at seattle center) a nice indoor food court(uniquely NW) indoor rides, and some other attractions. Then it could be open nearly year round, and the larger rides open less of the year. And look at the Midwest! Ohio has tons of theme parks alone, and over half the year theres snow on the ground! At least in seattle it would only be rain. And back to the weed world idea: imagine a place called the hall of non-Euclidian geometry

Old 02-24-2014, 11:33 PM

966 posts, read 4,023,625 times
People come here to see natural parks, not theme parks. That's why I moved from Florida - the theme park capital of the US. Theme parks are overrated, expensive, crowded and fake. Washington has so many places you can go where there are not too many people and you'll see things that are much better than any man made park. IMHO

Old 02-25-2014, 12:10 AM

7,022 posts, read 11,683,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergenboy View Post
And to everybody considering the weather, you have to realize that a theme park could easily be open may-September here. And maybe even longer if it didn't focus only on rides or had indoor rides. Say it had a laser dome(but much different then the one at seattle center) a nice indoor food court(uniquely NW) indoor rides, and some other attractions. Then it could be open nearly year round, and the larger rides open less of the year. And look at the Midwest! Ohio has tons of theme parks alone, and over half the year theres snow on the ground! At least in seattle it would only be rain.
Weather is one factor. Besides, Ohio gets warmer earlier and is closer to more (big) population centers than anywhere in WA state. As for your "only be rain" comment...

There was a small theme park at Seattle Center that did exactly what you proposed... bigger rides outside and some indoor rides (even mini golf), lots of other attractions with a food court. Pretty much open year round. Didn't do that well, it was always surprising if it was full blown busy. It's been since replaced with a glass museum. Not exactly confidence boosting for investors.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:37 AM

3,698 posts, read 9,558,503 times
There's probably a market for a big amusement park here, but it has to be on a site with ample room and plenty of parking. It also has to be sited where it can take advantage of local public transportation infrastructure. And, unfortunately, available real estate is pricey. The Wild Waves/Enchanted Village footprint is too small, and the big tracts of land that used to be available in places like Fife or Marysville are not there any more.

Climate isn't an issue - there are plenty of successful theme parks that operate only a few months a year and make a profit. They also have off-season events on weekends like haunts during Halloween or lights during Christmas. There are very nice theme parks in Scandinavia and the UK, which have similar climates as us.

Any theme park or amusement park would have to be fairly modest, but still with a big enough footprint and enough attractions to draw locals (those within a two hour drive) for repeat business. There just aren't enough tourists that would go unless it was a major theme park destination with a big brand behind it. (The population of Washington plus the number of annual visitors we get is less than Disneyland's annual attendance.)

There have been many amusement parks that all eventually failed because attendance levels were never high enough to allow for capital expansion. Luna Park, Playland, the Fun Forest, Woodland Park, a failed attempt out in Woodinville - tons of places that never got traction. The Fun Forest used to be extremely popular with local kids on summer weekends in the 70s and 80s, but the lack of investment and the overall plan to set up the Center for the benefit of tourists rather than locals wound up killing it.

I think that a limited amusement park that is larger than Wild Waves could make a go of it, but the places where it would likely go are going to resist that big of a development. There would likely have to be a big landowner like Weyerhaeser or Boeing that would decide that they could make more money leasing their land to an amusement park developer than doing their primary jobs. (Imagine a park at the Boeing Plant in Renton! That'd be a great location.)

Old 02-25-2014, 01:31 PM

2,303 posts, read 1,990,306 times
Yeah, I don't think weather is that much of an issue. For one, Paris, France gets pretty similar weather to Seattle, but they still have a Disneyland that is open year round. I remember a long time ago they were talking about putting in a Six Flags in Marysville/Tulalip. I still think that would be a great area for a theme park. It would attract tourists from both Vancouver and Seattle.

A park that is Northwest themed would be cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington