U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 03:46 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,721,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
You mean big corporations, right? Small businesses in this state sure as hell pay high B&O taxes that they may or may not be able to pass along to the consumer. If these taxes were so easy to pass along, then we wouldn't see mom and pop stores drying-up left and right because they can't compete with corporations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
All businesses in the state of Washington pays the B&O tax if they have inventory in the state.

Small businesses who fail has little or nothing to do with big box store in their area. Small businesses fail because they fail to either catch a niche or fail to supply the produce what the consumer wants. Most small businesses specialize in products that the big box stores don't offer because there isn't that much shelve space or little demand for that specialized product.
I live in a small town with a Walmart, Home Depot and Costco. And after a number of years after they opened here I have yet to see any small business fold because of the competition. Most have switched to specialized merchandize that can't be found in the big box stores or lost their monopoly on higher prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
How am I wrong...the statement doesn't change the fact that Boeing still pays a B&O tax. I would suggest you visit Washington State governing body and you will see it is and has been control by the democrats for years and find they are responsible for Boeing tax breaks.
Do you think tax breaks for state businesses should be repealed if it keeps jobs from leaving the state or staying here?
Clearly, by the posts above, you were initially replying to my point that corporations and small businesses pay very different B&O taxes buy stating that all businesses pay taxes. Since you quoted my post, saying ALL business pay taxes, then that comes with the implication that are suggesting that they all pay similar tax levels. Which is wrong.

BTW, when did I mention anything about the Democrats? I am a stanch conservative and certainly wasn't stating that I agree with those tax breaks...

Quote:
I live in Sequim and I have failed to see any of that here. I think small business closings may have more to due to the weak economy and job lost.

In Sequim, after both Costco and Walmart entered the market place, both of our major named supermarkets are still operation along with two very profitable "organic food stores". In fact a third food market opened about two years ago right next door to Costco and across the street from Walmart. The fact is Sequim gets a lot of people all over the Peninsula coming to shop because of the big box stores which means more business to the smaller stores and restaurants.

I haven't a clue what that means as I have seen no evidence of that happening in Sequim. The fact is more small businesses have started up in Sequim since the big box stores arrived. I consider that very unusual since our population has not increase by that much over the same time frame.
This is most certainly NOT similar to what I have experienced in most of Eastern WA. Maybe Sequim itself is more of a "niche" environment? As I said earlier, I know for sure that an exclusive organic food store with any significant amount of inventory/overhead would never survive in Colville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 10:37 PM

3,009 posts, read 2,650,859 times
Boeing 777X Exit Threat Leaves Washington Facing Bond-Rating Cut - Bloomberg

Boeing employed about 12,100 workers for the 777 in 2012, and another 7,600 jobs were connected to the aircraft’s production, according to a November report on the state’s aerospace industry prepared by Community Attributes Inc., a Seattle-based research firm. The 777 program produced $133.1 million in tax revenue for the state in 2012.

Boeing is the single largest private employer in Washington state, with 84,442 workers as of August, according to the report. The state had 94,200 aerospace employees in 2012, including about 72,900 with Boeing, the report said. Boeing paid an estimated $7.2 billion in wages that year, according to the report.

I can not see it be a good thing if Boeing just pack up and left . Lets see 84,442 people in the unemployment line and not paying there bills or buying anything .

Old 03-02-2014, 08:17 PM
509 509 started this thread

2,283 posts, read 3,344,329 times
12 years of NO TAXES PAID.

Boeing has big tax refund coming from Uncle Sam — again | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 03-03-2014, 04:51 AM

3,966 posts, read 8,727,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Where do I sign up for this program? Oh man.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:38 AM

3,009 posts, read 2,650,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Where do I sign up for this program? Oh man.
As soon as you can hire as many people as Boeing and pay them as much then you can sign up.sound good

To the OP have you been live under the sea or something this is how bussnies gets done now days. Boing had this state by the balls and it took advantage anyone with business savy would of done the same. Also none Boeing workers for the most part where on Boeing's side. The state would not look very good if Boeing left the state that is a ton of jobs to lose.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:47 AM
509 509 started this thread

2,283 posts, read 3,344,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
As soon as you can hire as many people as Boeing and pay them as much then you can sign up.sound good
Your absolutely right. As soon as you have the money to buy the politicians to get YOUR personal tax breaks and screw the rest of society!!

We do "Have the best Government money can buy".

And that folks is the end of our representative form of government. The charade of elections goes on, but it is just a charade.

Really when you think about it we have had our state government controlled by the rich elites since the early 1980's. That is when the corporate tax breaks started.

The Democrats (who represent the working people???) went so far that they got rid of PENSIONS for working people, gave tax breaks worth 20% of the company to Boeing management!! Only SEVEN representatives voted against the transfer of public monies to Boeing.

Rich people even help each other out. Remember when Boeing's lobbyist "took a leave of absence" to get emergency tax legislation so the stadium could get built for Paul Allen (at that time the second richest man in the world).

Somebody really needs to start a movement to stop the corporations.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:47 AM

1,968 posts, read 2,222,381 times
Quote:
Your absolutely right. As soon as you have the money to buy the politicians to get YOUR personal tax breaks and screw the rest of society!!

And that folks is the end of our representative form of government. The charade of elections goes on, but it is just a charade.

Really when you think about it we have had our state government controlled by the rich elites since the early 1980's. That is when the corporate tax breaks started.

The Democrats (who represent the working people???) went so far that they got rid of PENSIONS for working people, gave tax breaks worth 20% of the company to Boeing management!! Only SEVEN representatives voted against the transfer of public monies to Boeing.

Rich people even help each other out. Remember when Boeing's lobbyist "took a leave of absence" to get emergency tax legislation so the stadium could get built for Paul Allen (at that time the second richest man in the world).

The rep button was broken...

Yep, somewhere along the way "the people" have lost representation. This will not change until we get money out of politics.

Unfortunately, "we the people" get duped by politicians of all strips, spending our energy fighting over the crumbs that fall from the elites table. Where money and power are to be had, trust should not be given....

The movement?

Way I see it is that we only have one vote that counts... And that is the vote we make each and every time we open our pocketbook. Yep, think through every $$ you spend and who it goes too. Personally, I think Sam Walton's family has enough money... So for me, that means buy or barter locally with small family ran businesses like mine as often as possible. Deal with an individual instead of an entity whenever one can!

If we continue to chase the "cheaper/bigger/more" carrot at the end of the stick offered by the likes of the Walmarts of the world, we can only expect a greater concentration of wealth into even fewer hands.

As long as the people of this once great nation remain divided and distracted, the corporate entity will rule the roost.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:21 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,721,237 times
Quote:

I could not agree more.

All the liberals love to point fingers at the Republicans (I think there was even a comment to that effect earlier in this thread), blaming them for crony-ism and screwing the little guy in favor of big business.

But, as is clearly evidenced by this state's two-decade-old Democratic majority kissing just as many corporate a__es as any Republican , there is no party line division when it comes to greed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington