U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 01:14 AM

1 posts, read 776 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am a 22 year old single female nurse (BSN) from Texas looking to move somewhere new and start over. I'm not sure what to say I'm looking for, other than a new culture and interesting experiences with interesting people. (And of course, a steady job with decent income). I'm looking at Bellevue, Vancouver and Olympia. Can anyone tell me a bit about the culture of these cities? You can't really get a feel of how the city truly is from a Wikipedia article. Any information is welcomed. Also, are there any small towns/cities on the coast that are worth looking at? I plan on visiting WA state sometime soon.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 645 times
I'm not too sure what Vancouver is like but know a little bit about Bellevue and Olympia. I lived in the north seattle for a few years and got to know some things about each place.
Bellevue is more of an upscale area compared to a few other surrounding towns in WA. traffic is terrible on I-405 so be ready to sit in stop and go traffic and spending more of your time getting to work in the morning if you're considering on commuting to your job or just about anywhere. Traffic is an all day thing and not only just at certain times. It's very a nice area, safe, a bit more pricey if you don't mind paying more to live in the area. Good night life, places to eat and people to meet. Olympia is more of a smaller town hippy boho vibe, with cute little shops, restaurants and a bit further a way from the city. Not as expensive as Bellevue. It all honestly depends on the vibe of town you're interested in living in. Olympia is more laid back in my opinion and i personally didn't spend too much time in Bellevue. I hope that helps! Good luck on your search

Old 04-02-2014, 09:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,828 posts, read 44,565,197 times
Bellevue has a couple of big hospitals close to downtown, and if you can afford to live close commute won't be a problem. Downtown itself is horribly congested, it can take 1/2 hour to go across town at afternoon commute time. It's a diverse city but expensive, though some areas are more affordable like Lake Hills and around Crossroads. Considering the median family income of over $100,000 there are many making less than half that and those with money are not snooty. I'm not familiar with Olympia, but have spent some time in Vancouver. Hopefully someone from there will give more detail, but I found it to be more blue collar than Bellevue, more affordable, and and has the advantage of being close to Portland for big city amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington