U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2006, 02:12 PM

5 posts, read 24,180 times

Advertisements

I will be attending a conference in Pallyup February 2007. I would love to take a side trip to Roslyn,Wa. Does any one have any suggestions where to stay, what sites are a "don't miss it", or any other travel hints or suggestions. I will be travelling by auto. How is the weather in Feb., and roadway conditions in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 05:28 PM

454 posts, read 633,937 times
First the weather. It will be cold in Seattle, potentially REALLY cold in Roslyn. You can expect a lot of snow going over the pass, but most will be on the side of the roadways. Snoqualmie pass (I-90) is very well groomed. Best bet is going in the afternoon. If you like snow, you can stop at the top of the pass and play in the snow.

It will be around a two hour drive from Puyallup (Take hwy 18 to I-90).

For lodging, there is at least one moderately nice hotel in the town of Cle Elum, some B&B's in Roslyn. If you want more mainstream hotels, look toward Ellensburg, (35 minute drive) take the Canyon exit, but don't expect anything high end over there that I can recall.

So, for things to do. While in Roslyn make sure you visit the cemetery (take a left at the brick tavern, go past the Roslyn cafe, and continue up the small hill.) This is a national historic cemetery. If there is no snow you can drive through much of it. It is something else.

If you go to Ellensburg you need to visit the "art" house. bizzarre. Check this web site out at w ww.roadsideamerica.com/attract/WAELLspot.html

While in Ellensburg try to eat at the Ellensburg Pasta Company. Canyon rd is the main drag that takes you through the old part of town. Once you pass the old buildings you will see an odd building on the right that used to be a car dealership. This is now a restaurant. If you like flavor the Greek Salad is the best I have ever had, period. The pasta ain't bad either.

Expect the tempertures to be pretty cold, so outdoor activities may be limited. Thre are some antique stores in Ellensburg.

The dufferz

Old 10-24-2006, 07:34 AM

Default Thanks !!

The trip is still in the planning stages. The main reason for the side trip is not "Moosefest" or "Norther Exposure" related as I am sure most are (although I really liked the show and will see the stores". MY home town is ROSLYN, PA. I have been to Roslyn (Long Island, NY) where my fire department has a mutual friendship. I have always wanted to try to start a fellowship with the "west coast" Roslyn, so the trip may be many fold. Next on the Roslyn list, would be ROSLYN, SD (located in rural Day county). I have been through ROSLYN, IL; but if you blink, you miss it. Literally. It is a crossroads in a corn field, but apparently in the 40's and 50's there were a few businesses there. again, let me say THANKS!

Old 10-24-2006, 12:01 PM

22 posts, read 97,088 times
I was just in Roslyn on Sunday. It's a great little town. I would recommend stopping by the Suncadia Lodge. It's a new lodge on a beautiful golf course in a development there building on the 3 mile or so road between I-90 & Roslyn. Also drive down to Cle Elum and get some coffee at Pioneer Roasting on 1st Street. It's great If you have time, drive the extra hour and stay in Leavenworth.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:51 PM

Does anyone have any connection to or know any member of the ROSLYN (WA) Fire Department?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington